• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Last Man for India All Time Test XI

Choose a player to complete the XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Complete the India All Time Test XI

10 players have been selected till now:

Merchant, Gavaskar, Dravid, Tendulkar, Hazare, Kapil, Engineer, Kumble, Srinath, Bedi.

This is time to select another player to make the XI complete...You can select a batsman, a bowler or an al-rounder depending on how you feel the composition of the team should be...Lots of options are provided...

3 spinners, 3 pacers and 8 middle-order batsmen are in the poll on the basis of votes in earlier polls....Plus 3 al-rounders Mankad, Shastri and Pathan and another batsman Sehwag (who will play as a middle-order batsman if selected) has also been shortlisted...

Vote for 1 keeping in mind the team composition ... The selected player's batting position will be decided on the basis of his batting prowess...

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Since we have 5 great batsmen plus Kapil and Engineer to provide batting depth, and since bowling is our weaker area, I shall vote for a bowler between Gupte, Chandra, Prasanna, Nissar and Amar Singh to fill up the slot...Not sure about whom to vote among the 5 though...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Probably, I shall vote for 1 between Nissar and Amar Singh...Because at home you don't need a third spinner when you have Kumble and Bedi...And in away conditions, Nissar and Amar Singh will probably be more effective than Gupte, Chandra or Prasanna...

WhatisRight

School Boy/Girl Captain
Srinath in an all time 11? hahaha....wow, just goes to show the lack of quality of a fast bowler in india since they started. Anyway quality batsmen.

haroon510

International 12th Man
voted for azhar..despite the inclution of sunil and dravid that make the whole team unwatchable for me..

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, it says more about the people voting in these polls.
Name and shame the culprits who voted for him. Should really have picked Abid Ali.

bagapath, BhupinderSingh, Burgey, funnygirl, haroon510, honestbharani, JBH001, KaZoH0lic, Lambu, PhoenixFire, sanga1337, weldone

jeevan

International 12th Man
Given this composition, seam bowling is a bit in short supply and it came down to either an allrounder or (on reputation) Amar Singh. Went for the latter as the batting was deep already (Engineer at #7 and Kumble at #8 are OK choices) but the bowling unit doesnt quite look as an all-time XI even with Kapil & Kumble.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Gone for Amar Singh based entirely on the composition of the team and the extremely high esteem in which he was held.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Srinath in an all time 11? hahaha....wow, just goes to show the lack of quality of a fast bowler in india since they started. Anyway quality batsmen.
By no means trying to justify his selection, but Srinath was capable of some of the more fiery, quick spells of seam bowling in the 1990s. He has been timed at 156kph in 1996 and at 149.6kph on two separate occasions (1997/8 and 1999). Here is an example of some of his best spells.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
By no means trying to justify his selection, but Srinath was capable of some of the more fiery, quick spells of seam bowling in the 1990s. He has been timed at 156kph in 1996 and at 149.6kph on two separate occasions (1997/8 and 1999). Here is an example of some of his best spells.
Just because he could sometimes be fast, it doesn't mean he wasn't a crap bowler overall. Since when did fast necessarily become good anyway?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Notice how I said it was a fast spell of seam bowling - he was seaming the ball and anyone who can seam the ball considerable distances at pace is going to be a handful. Nor did I say that he wasn't an overall crap bowler overall; however, your definition of crap is crap in itself, or harsh, to be more specific. Sure, he floundered against Australia in the beginning of his career, but few (not noone, but few) wouldn't. His opening bowler partner ranged from anyone the board could find, to an aging Kapil Dev and Venkatesh Prasad - occasionally good but never inspirational support. He achieved good career statistics and bowled well in often dead pitches of India.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Amar Singh. Would have voted Gupte, but Srinath at 9 in an all-time team is too high.

So ideally I'd have Gupte instead of Srinath, I suppose. :ph34r:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Notice how I said it was a fast spell of seam bowling - he was seaming the ball and anyone who can seam the ball considerable distances at pace is going to be a handful. Nor did I say that he wasn't an overall crap bowler overall; however, your definition of crap is crap in itself, or harsh, to be more specific. Sure, he floundered against Australia in the beginning of his career, but few (not noone, but few) wouldn't. His opening bowler partner ranged from anyone the board could find, to an aging Kapil Dev and Venkatesh Prasad - occasionally good but never inspirational support. He achieved good career statistics and bowled well in often dead pitches of India.
True...According to Imran Khan, he was the most underrated pace bowler of the 90s.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Since I want a bowler to get selected, I am voting for Amar Singh...For the balance of the team...