• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dwayne Smith jumps ship for England

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
ICC needs to crack down on the ammount of foreigners trying to qualify for england,not good for the windies,south africa and the european clubs.
In general I'd agree, but in this case it's actually very good news for the West Indies.

From what I saw, Smith could have been (and could still be, I suppose) a pretty decent First Class/List A bowler, especially if he focused on it. His batting was at Agarkar level though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
In general I'd agree, but in this case it's actually very good news for the West Indies.
From what I saw, Smith could have been (and could still be, I suppose) a pretty decent First Class/List A bowler, especially if he focused on it. His batting was at Agarkar level though.
How do you work that one out? West Indies cricket has invested a considerable amount of time and money in Dwayne Smith, presumably ‘sanctioned’ his IPL deal and county contract yet, Smith isn’t just content on going Kolpak but now wants to change his nationality. Regardless of his actually ability the West Indian board should be furious for Smith is taking the piss.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How do you work that one out? West Indies cricket has invested a considerable amount of time and money in Dwayne Smith, presumably ‘sanctioned’ his IPL deal and county contract yet, Smith isn’t just content on going Kolpak but now wants to change his nationality. Regardless of his actually ability the West Indian board should be furious for Smith is taking the piss.
Whether or not that should feel cheated is not my point - my point is that they'll be better off with this player unavailable. They can no longer give in to the temptation of selecting him.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Whether or not that should feel cheated is not my point - my point is that they'll be better off with this player unavailable. They can no longer give in to the temptation of selecting him.
Why? His a better one day cricketer than Darren Sammy.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In fairness, if they actually wanted Dwayne Smith in the team in the foreseeable future, they would have recalled him for this series. Especially given that half the Caribbean is injured.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sammy is a much more thoughtful batsman and there's not too much between them as bowlers.
He maybe but that hasn't helped him score many runs at international level thus far.
In regard to bowling as you say there isn't much between them other than the fact that Smith occasionally takes wickets in ODI cricket, Sammy hasn't done that yet.

Mr Mxyzptlk

He maybe but that hasn't helped him score many runs at international level thus far.
In regard to bowling as you say there isn't much between them other than the fact that Smith occasionally takes wickets in ODI cricket, Sammy hasn't done that yet.
You seem to forget just how poor a batsman Dwayne Smith is. He's played 56 innings and averages 14.92 in ODI cricket. Sammy has only played 9 innings. But already suggests that he's a better ODI batsman.

Sammy's only bowled in 13 innings and when Dw. Smith was at a similar stage in his career, he had similarly poor figures. What Sammy has shown recently is an ability to be economical, which suggests that his bowling record will improve in due time.

Dw. Smith was a reasonable ODI bowler, who had potential to be good, a terrible batsman, and an excellent fielder. To say that he's a better ODI cricketer than Sammy, at this stage, is poor form.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Dw. Smith was a reasonable ODI bowler, who had potential to be good, a terrible batsman, and an excellent fielder. To say that he's a better ODI cricketer than Sammy, at this stage, is poor form.
Conversely, it would be poor form to suggest Sammy is better ODI cricketer given that his played a relatively small amount of games and has done nothing of note in any of them. At least Smith had a handful of good to decent games for the West Indies over the years.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Meh, Smith's seven wickets in ten tests are hardly any better then.
Only got one shot at England. :p
Conversely, it would be poor form to suggest Sammy is better ODI cricketer given that his played a relatively small amount of games and has done nothing of note in any of them. At least Smith had a handful of good to decent games for the West Indies over the years.
Having watched both of them extensively in and out of international cricket, I think I am safe in saying that Sammy is a better cricketer. And given what he's shown at ODI level so far, he already looks a better ODI cricketer. With the bat he's certainly more capable, if less talented than Smith.

As has been mentioned previously in this thread, the biggest problem with Smith is that he fancied himself/he was fancied as a batsman who bowled. While he had the talent to be a good batsman, he is undoubtedly an idiot at the crease. Sammy doesn't have the same natural batting talent, but certainly has a good head on his shoulders. Of course it is no certainty, but given the chance I expect Sammy to build a modest ODI career record, which is more than can be said about Smith.

I've rated Smith's bowling for a while now. The problem is that Sammy is filling the role of a bowling allrounder in the West Indies lineup, and whoever fills that role has to be able to bat to an extent. Smith is really just useless in that regard. 16 of his last 21 ODI innings were single digit scores. 30 of 56 innings in his ODI career were single digit scores. He is a better bowler, but as I said, I don't think there's enough between them in that regard to justify him as a better ODI option right now.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah, Darren Sammy is a poor man's Dwayne Bravo. Dwayne Smith is a blind man's Darren Sammy.
:laugh:

Thought that was piss-funny, myself. Skull nom?

Anyway, it's a non-story for mine. All Kolpaks are de facto would-be England players because they're registered as "locals". If he was asked the question outright Smith could hardly turn around & say "Nah, just here for the money. I'll be back for the Windies like a shot as soon as I'm picked" lest it queered his Sussex gig.