• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Graeme Smith's men win both of these series ?

1) The upcoming series against England
2) Then the biggie: six tests against the arch-enemy Australia this Southern hemisphere summer.
Been the dream of RSA cricket ever since readmission to beat Australia in a series.

South Africa were thrashed by Australia 5-1 in 2001-2002 nd 5-0 in 2005/2006 but I think it will be closer, much closer this time.
South Africa's key will be their batting. If their batting fires, they should be too good for England and it will give them a real chance against Australia.....the saffies certainly have the bowling to shake up Australia.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
1) They should win IMO. Definitely got a superior bowling attack to England and probably better batting lineup as well.

2) No... I do think it will be closer though. Can't wait to watch Steyn bowl to the Aussies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They should win in England - same as they should have in 1994, 1998 and 2003, and didn't. That something which should have happened 3 times hasn't doesn't mean it will a 4th, or anything close to, but equally it means you don't take it for granted any more.

They also have an excellent chance against Australia - as, once more, they did in 2001/02 and 2005/06 (and 1996/97/98 too FTR). But they buggered that up big-time. A few different things went wrong in the former series, but in the latter the problem was almost exclusively dropped catches. You cannot drop anywhere near as many catches as that and expect to beat Australia unless you have inswing bowlers of the highest class (as England did in 2005).

If they want to win more Tests than they lose in the six-match home\away thing this winter, they'll have to catch well. And then worry about the rest.

BTW - merge? :laugh: Seems people have a liking for asking how SA will go in their next series or two recently.

Jakester1288

International Regular
They have a good chance of beating Australia tbh. They will be two really good, close series imo. Shame I won't be able to watch Australia V South Africa.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
They should win in England - same as they should have in 1994, 1998 and 2003, and didn't. That something which should have happened 3 times hasn't doesn't mean it will a 4th, or anything close to, but equally it means you don't take it for granted any more.

They also have an excellent chance against Australia - as, once more, they did in 2001/02 and 2005/06 (and 1996/97/98 too FTR). But they buggered that up big-time. A few different things went wrong in the former series, but in the latter the problem was almost exclusively dropped catches. You cannot drop anywhere near as many catches as that and expect to beat Australia unless you have inswing bowlers of the highest class (as England did in 2005).

If they want to win more Tests than they lose in the six-match home\away thing this winter, they'll have to catch well. And then worry about the rest.

BTW - merge? :laugh: Seems people have a liking for asking how SA will go in their next series or two recently.
Agreed. On paper South Africa has a stronger team then England, at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if England win given South Africa often underperforms, when everyone thinks they should win.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ovb. South Africa will win against England and I think they can beat Australia, but that is 2 different things and I doubt they will win. It'll be closer than previous series, tho.