• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone remember this match

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/63754.html

A bit of a random one from me, but this was a Test whose highlights were recorded by my brother on video and I watched it numerous times throughout the late 1990s. Have each wicket memorised and it made me an England fan for the late 1990s. Really invigorated a passion for watching, rather than simply playing, cricket.

Classic moments:
- Hussain's 207
- Hussain's dismissal by Warne
- Caddick's "Catch i', yEAAH" for his hattrick
- Mark Nicholas' classic: "Its wide...and its short and its out!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will never, ever forget Australia being reduced to 54 for 8 as long as I live. I was ill and lay on two mattresses (was sufficiently long-term for a camp-bed to be abandoned) on the landing watching the TV we had up there at that time. I wasn't yet fully aware of the fact that England had beaten Australia twice in the last decade, both occasions after The Ashes had already been retained by the oppo. But I realised well enough that this was something sensational to treasure.

I've never seen a more uplifting start to a series. Never.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
England 18/3 from Stewart getting caught after skying one to the slips...

and then, the match changed because in came Hussain.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was actually an amazzing game - Nasser's finest moment IMO. I recmember watching him, and he just had one of those days where all the bolwing pretty much came equally to him - he never looked like getting out.
Always rated Thorpe very highly too.
Should also add Taylor's enormous mental strenght in scoring that ton in the second dig. Steve Waugh indicated in his diary of the tour that the 2nd dig was basically's Taylor's last chance before being dropped, and that Taylor knew it too.
Ironically Australia's second innings collapse arguably cost them as much as their first. From 3/393 to all out 477 was really poor, especially as, by tthat time IIRC the wicket had flattened out to a pretty damn good one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England 18/3 from Stewart getting caught after skying one to the slips...

and then, the match changed because in came Hussain.
I also remember Hussain and Thorpe breaking record after record.

I recall I was in the car on the way to the doctors as they passed one - I forget whether it was the third or fourth.

I remember best fourth-wicket partnership for England against Australia at Edgbaston; then I remember others, though I don't recall what they were. A few possibilities: best fourth-wicket partnership for England against Australia at Edgbaston; best partnership for England against Australia at Edgbaston; best fourth-wicket partnership for England against Australia; best partnership for England against Australia in England; and many more. Some of which may or may not have been broken since.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Should also add Taylor's enormous mental strenght in scoring that ton in the second dig. Steve Waugh indicated in his diary of the tour that the 2nd dig was basically's Taylor's last chance before being dropped, and that Taylor knew it too.
Never believed that. How often does a captain get dropped in the middle of an overseas tour?

Taylor's knock was a fabulous one and no doubt it was a massive, massive relief (Atherton said he actually enjoyed the victory more for going into the Australian dressing-room and seeing the relief on Taylor's face as they shared a lager, such was the esteem in which he held his opposite-number) but it wasn't his would-be final Test.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I also remember Hussain and Thorpe breaking record after record.

I recall I was in the car on the way to the doctors as they passed one - I forget whether it was the third or fourth.

I remember best fourth-wicket partnership for England against Australia at Edgbaston; then I remember others, though I don't recall what they were. A few possibilities: best fourth-wicket partnership for England against Australia at Edgbaston; best partnership for England against Australia at Edgbaston; best fourth-wicket partnership for England against Australia; best partnership for England against Australia in England; and many more. Some of which may or may not have been broken since.
Has been about 8 years since I've watched it, but was Thorpe dropped early on playing the pull shot. Bevan had something to do with it too, whether he was bowling or fielding, I'm not sure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doubt he'd have been bowling, not at 3 down for not-many.

Don't actually remember said drop, will have to have a look-out for it sometime.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's what I remember it for, the media going gaga over Taylor's century after hounding him for months beforehand. Oh and the fact that we were down 1-0 was a new feeling for a lot of us.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Only 6 times between 1989 and 2008 have Australia gone 1-0 down. West Indies in 1991, Pakistan in 1994/95 (and that should've been 1-0 up, AND they should've won the Second and Third Tests too), said Edgbaston 1997 instance, India in 1997/98, Sri Lanka in 1999/2000, and India in 2003/04.

The Edgbaston case is the only time they've come back to be the better team and win. They came back to scrape a 1-1 against-the-run-of-play draw in 2003/04 and were the better side throughout 1994/95 but still lost 1-0.

Last edited:

Burgey

Interesting stat that. In this era of largely 3 test series, I guess it shows how important it is to steal a march on your opponents.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When I've written a paragraph I need to write, I'll see how many times in that time they've won the First Test of a series. I'd bet it'll be the vast majority.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/63754.html

A bit of a random one from me, but this was a Test whose highlights were recorded by my brother on video and I watched it numerous times throughout the late 1990s. Have each wicket memorised and it made me an England fan for the late 1990s. Really invigorated a passion for watching, rather than simply playing, cricket.

Classic moments:
- Hussain's 207
- Hussain's dismissal by Warne
- Caddick's "Catch i', yEAAH" for his hattrick
- Mark Nicholas' classic: "Its wide...and its short and its out!
Bunked off school mid-morning, got home with Australia already out and the fightback from Hussain and Thorpe had well and truly started. My passion for cricket really began a year earlier when Hussain tonned up against the Indians at Edgbaston but this game really did ignite my love for cricket. Great game.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

That was actually an amazzing game - Nasser's finest moment IMO. I recmember watching him, and he just had one of those days where all the bolwing pretty much came equally to him - he never looked like getting out.
Always rated Thorpe very highly too.
Ironically Australia's second innings collapse arguably cost them as much as their first. From 3/393 to all out 477 was really poor, especially as, by tthat time IIRC the wicket had flattened out to a pretty damn good one.
Don't forget, though, that Mark Waugh had spent the night before he batted in teh second dig in hospital with a virus. Came to the crease looking very worse for wear. Then copped a beauty from Gough.

But yeah, the first day was something else. I do remember the most ridiculous part of it, though, was that channel 9 weren't televising it live! They had the bloody Footy show on instead and even they were making jokes like "Sorry guys, but the Aussies have lost another wicket! Can't we wind up the show or something?" The telecast started after lunch with Warnie at the crease. That's when I knew we were in trouble.....

Saw highlights later and Gough was just sensational. Was like watching Ambrose dismantle England when they were bowled out for 46.

Burgey

Don't forget, though, that Mark Waugh had spent the night before he batted in teh second dig in hospital with a virus. Came to the crease looking very worse for wear. Then copped a beauty from Gough.

But yeah, the first day was something else. I do remember the most ridiculous part of it, though, was that channel 9 weren't televising it live! They had the bloody Footy show on instead and even they were making jokes like "Sorry guys, but the Aussies have lost another wicket! Can't we wind up the show or something?" The telecast started after lunch with Warnie at the crease. That's when I knew we were in trouble.....

Saw highlights later and Gough was just sensational. Was like watching Ambrose dismantle England when they were bowled out for 46.
Ha. Yeah I remember the NRL footy show was on, and they crossed to Bill Lawry at the ground, and he just erupted (as only Bill can), with his first words "The Lion's roared Paul Vautin, the Lion's roared. If it wasn't for that great Vicroian Shane Warne they'd be all out by now".

It was actually very, very funny.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah this was a great test actually.

I remember England ****ting themselves when Aus were 1-300 odd in their second innings, and then Croft and Gough turn it out. The Eal-man was alright too.

Burgey

Yeah this was a great test actually.

I remember England ****ting themselves when Aus were 1-300 odd in their second innings, and then Croft and Gough turn it out. The Eal-man was alright too.
Careful mate, don't want to be accused of racism :ph34r: