• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bond

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Well Shane bond has another Probable Stress Fracture in his back. If confirmed it will be his 4th.

Is this the end on Bond??
I don't think so yet. But you never know. It can't be easy recovering from injuries.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
what a blow for him.

On form, is in the best 5 bowlers in the world at least.

I have a stress fracture in my ankle at the moment which is keeping me from playing footy and training for next cricket season (which I'm almost certain I got from the bull**** indoors nets at the SCG, so to any sydneysiders planning on training there - DONT! and thats not the only reason) so it's really ****ing me off, although it is healing pretty well.

4 stress fractures is a pretty bad career, and it may not be the end of him as such but it could ruin the effectiveness that he has.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, they aren't panicking with this injury but it just means that he won't be able to play for Warwickshire & earn some extra money.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gee, what a surprise. How many people poo-pooed me when I said he was going to have serious back problems because of his action? How many people argued with me saying he had a superb action and was going to be one of the greatest? How many were wrong?? :D

Sad but predictable. He's just not built to bowl really fast. He has been bowling as quick as anyone for a while now but it's been well above his capabilities physically. Unfortunately, I can just see him on the same wagon as Geoff Allott, yet another who bowled quicker than his body could support. Again, sad.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
T_C,

Bond's action is pretty good, its just very injury prone - the strain on his back is clear as day.

And he still could become one of the greats.

krkode

State Captain
It seems all Kiwi fast bowlers are having back problems...:yawn:
Maybe it's something to do with their diet...environmental conditions...?

This makes Richard Hadlee all the more great :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
hourn said:
Bond's action is pretty good, its just very injury prone
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Yes, his action gets the ball down to the other end rapidly and accurately, but to me (and obviously to Corey/TC as well) a "good" action is one like Glenn McGrath's - one that's, as well as being effective, smooth and doesn't strain the body.

I know the ECB are putting a lot of emphasis on coaches at junior levels watching fast bowlers' actions and trying to 'solve' possible injury risks.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
2 out of the 4 fractures have been in his foot.. I think he has a very soft body.. Maybe he needs to be wrapped in cotton wool and only play vs Australia:D

hourn

U19 Cricketer
NP

yea its a big contradictoin in terms, but I'm more just talking about from a pure performance point of view thats it good.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
hourn said:
NP

yea its a big contradictoin in terms, but I'm more just talking about from a pure performance point of view thats it good.
Well if a player keeps on getting injured, then his performance goes down and his overall effectiveness reduces.And that's when he falls from the list of "greats" as well.That's why for being among the greats, everything has to gel properly.

anzac

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:

Unfortunately, I can just see him on the same wagon as Geoff Allott, yet another who bowled quicker than his body could support. Again, sad.
Not only was Allott's career cut short by stress fractures in the back, but also Dion Nash and another young quick some years back (Brendon Bracewell). Nash was quickish in his early days but had to take a good 10ks off his pace to further his career even b4 the WC in England. Bracewell was a firey quick & talked of as a new ball bowler at international level but never recovered enough to make it back into contention.

Dizzy Gillespie has had to change his action as a result of stress fractures in his back, so I wonder if Bond will have to contemplate doing the same & how effective would he be?????

I wonder if the problem is as a result of trying to bowl fast or trying to belt it into the pitch to get the bounce / lift, or is it just body physics & bowling action?

:(

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dizzy Gillespie has had to change his action as a result of stress fractures in his back, so I wonder if Bond will have to contemplate doing the same & how effective would he be?????

I wonder if the problem is as a result of trying to bowl fast or trying to belt it into the pitch to get the bounce / lift, or is it just body physics & bowling action?
A lot of it is in his action. The way he bowls, he puts tremendous strain on his lower back by twisting it at the point of delivery, instead of using his shoulders and sides a la Glenn McGrath. Since he bowls predominantly side-on, he should be using his shoulders a little more. But then, if he did, I'm sure he would be at least 10km/h slower.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
People have been saying that his career might end up shorter..

and plus he isint there in the tour of india to exhibit his skills !!! :!( :!( :!( :!( :!( he might just haev his way against the Indian batsmen

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think Bond has an excellent action, its not necessarily a defective action thats causing him all the grief.....

I really hope he does not have to cut down his pace, although he probably will eventually due to the stupid amount of cricket these players have to go through.... Hopefully not another Geoff Allott who was class, especially in the world cup 99...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If NZ were lucky enough to have Chris Cairns, Shane Bond, Geoff Allott & Dion Nash all at the same time with no injuries what so ever, then potentially it would have been up there as probably NZ's greatest bowling attack aswell as one of the best in the world.

Mind you Allott was probably heading towards the end of his career anyway because he was like 31 or 32 at the 1999 World Cup.

Cairns & Nash both could have been very quick bowlers and when they first started out they were just that..but serious injuries got the better of both of them.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
oh ok sorry, I remember reading at a cricketsite that his birthday was like 1965 or something. So I guess NZ could have had alot more use out of him than I first thought.