• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe's Future?

Ur Choices?

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As I said before, India's position crucial. You need seven out of ten votes to remove them from full member status. Zimbabwe certainly won't vote for that, so they need three other countries to support them. The question then becomes: "Why would India give up a free vote?"

Langeveldt

Soutie
what is going to happen to the individual cricketers within zimbabwe? are they going to be allowed to leave and continue to pursue cricket and a livelihood, preferably in safer conditions.
Most of the good players already have, a few of the fringe ones I know in South Africa.. They are doing degrees or playing club cricket in the UK..

Zim isn't a safe place to be at the moment, let alone play cricket.. Even my friends with houses there are staying put in SA

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see some action being taken, albeit later than it should.

Wonder where next years Twenty20 WC will be held now? Has anyone put their hand up yet?

Hope ECB replace the Zimbabwe series with another proper tour rather than fill it with Twenty20/ODI's, supposedly the options are Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or Pakistan. Certainly bringing Bangladesh forward from 2010 seems a good option as it would allow a 3/4 mix in 2010, with 2/5 in 2009 with the Ashes

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Bring Bangladesh forward to 09, Invite Pakistan in 2010 as they currently aren't scheduled till on the FTP, which would mean they wouldn't tour till 2012 at least, and increase that series from 2 to 3 test (and give the extra test to Old Trafford :p)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There's far more significant things to worry about in Zimbabwe than cricket currently.
Actually I agree with this.

Not that cricket should be ignored, just that it will sort itself out as the country changes and hopefully improves.

Id suspend them (forget Asian voting block needs and petty politics) until the country stabilises and politics stops playing a big role in cricket admin and the country is out of these dark days of chaos.

brockley

International Captain
now
Test Captain Join Date: Feb 2007

India to save zimbabwe in icc vite

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twenty20: India block isolation of Zimbabwe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai.../scindi126.xml

The Indian board were steadfast last night in their refusal to back moves to isolate Zimbabwe from the world game, leaving the England and Wales Cricket Board fighting a delicate political game ahead of next week's meeting of the International Cricket Council.

With backing from the Government, the ECB yesterday severed all ties with Zimbabwe and cancelled their tour here next year. A letter from Andy Burnham, the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, instructed the ECB that Zimbabwe would not be allowed to fulfil a one-day series in England next summer.
advertisement

The letter stopped short of preventing Zimbabwe from participating in the Twenty20 World Championship, which is due to take place in England next June.

But during Prime Minister's questions, Gordon Brown called on other cricketing nations to follow the ECB's lead. "We want to ensure that Zimbabwe do not tour England next year. We will call for other countries to join us in banning Zimbabwe from the Twenty20 tournament," he said.

A motion has been tabled to discuss the Zimbabwe situation at next week's ICC meeting in Dubai but it is still unclear if the member countries will be asked to vote on removing their international status.

They are more likely to strip Zimbabwe of one-day status, which would solve the problem of their appearance at the World Twenty20 Championship. Under such an agreement, Zimbabwe would retain voting rights and funding from the ICC.

The Indian board have supported Zimbabwe in the past and voted together on ICC matters. The Asian bloc countries - Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka - will follow India's lead in Dubai. "India's position in all this is crucial," said David Morgan, the ICC's president-elect.

Last night a senior source within the Indian board told The Daily Telegraph they were still behind Zimbabwe and would not support any motion to throw them out of the ICC.

Giles Clarke, the chairman of the ECB, yesterday met with his Indian counterpart, Sharad Pawar, who was at Lord's to attend a dinner to commemorate India's 1983 World Cup final victory. Pawar described their discussions on Zimbabwe as "detailed on every aspect", and Clarke is hopeful his relationship with Pawar will sway opinion.

Any motion to suspend Zimbabwe needs support from seven of the 10 member countries. The Indian board would risk international vilification if they failed to make a stand and South Africa, traditionally Zimbabwe's staunchest ally, have already cut bilateral ties.

But India are in a strong bargaining position with the ECB. The use by county sides of players with ties to the rebel Indian Cricket League has irked the Indian board.

Morgan yesterday said the ICC recently ruled that a member country could not be banished over the politics of its government. He said that on Sky and the broadcaster cut to Archbishop Desmond Tutu on a recent visit to London, where he told an audience at Lord's: "It is a myth that sports and politics do not mix."

Morgan shifted uncomfortably under the glare of the cameras. But there appear to be even hotter times ahead in Dubai and the heat will not just be down to the Arabian summer.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Id suspend them (forget Asian voting block needs and petty politics) until the country stabilises and politics stops playing a big role in cricket admin and the country is out of these dark days of chaos.
But you need the votes of the Asian bloc to suspend them....

Matt79

Global Moderator
honestly the country in its current form will be lucky to survive another 18 months, and soon questions about its cricket are likely to be pretty academic, so I'm missing the irrelevant option on this poll.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH laksh_01 isn't a regular enough poster for us to legitimately be able to scream "IRRELEVANT FOURTH OPTIONS FFS!!!!!!!!!!" at him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah we all know that. Think the point Kev was making is that in an ideal World, he'd make the decision and the Asian bloc would have no power to influence it.
Yeah. I think BCCI will be rightly vilified if they don't do this. For once, Pawar should step up to the plate and do what's best for the sport. Not holding my breath though. Because I just have to look at it from their (very political) point of view: what do they gain by suspending Zimbabwe (some goodwill), vs. what do they lose by suspending Zimbabwe (a guaranteed vote every time).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Put it this way: from what I've heard, I've a little (no more than that mind, but it's something) more faith in Pawar to do it than I would Dalmiya.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Put it this way: from what I've heard, I've a little (no more than that mind, but it's something) more faith in Pawar to do it than I would Dalmiya.
Well one was completely selfish political bastard, and the other is a completely selfish political bastard.

I do hope you're right, but as I said, I'm not holding my breath. He's a politician by nature, and I don't see him doing something that would hurt him politically in terms of the balance of power.

I could definitely see him going for suspending ODI status of Zimbabwe but keeping their vote. The vote is the key issue here, from Pawar's point of view.

Chubb

International Regular
If this is the end, then I can't really express how sorry I will be. I have been a passionate fan of the side through everything that has happened and to see all that the players worked for, everything I have ever hoped and dreamed about for Zimbabwean cricket come to an end, all the highs, the lows, the brilliant performances and the terrible ones, the feats of defiance, the misfortunes (many more than any other nation, it always seemed to me), the passion of the players, the fans, the schoolkids- for all that to have been for nothing, for a squalid, undignified ending thanks to that vicious bastard... it just makes me very sad. And I don't want to imagine it.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
One thing that I had forgotten: the only non-Asian country to support Pawar in his election bid was Zimbabwe. All the other non-asian countries didn't support him (and they shouldn't have IMO). But I don't think he'll forget that. He wouldn't have tied Morgan if it weren't for Zimbabwe's vote.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If India do vote for Zimbabwe, I doubt Pawar will do it for the sake of it. They'll have extracted a pretty penny from ECB - and I'm trying to think what they could be. Maybe support for hosting a couple of tournaments, or something like that? They'd ideally like to ban ICL players from playing county cricket, but I don't think the English courts would allow such a thing.

Basically Pawar is a corrupt politician and his actions must be anticipated from that selfish point of view.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ICL-player bannings are not and will never be possible. If they were it'd have happened by now. Even the BCCI cannot influence UK courts. It's pretty obvious that such a thing would be restraint of trade under UK law.

However, I think the BCCI have already provided plenty of disincentives to counties to employ ICL-contracted players. No law can make a county offer a player a contract. Once contracts run-out, ICL players could well find themselves out in the cold.

Of course, the amounts they're earning in the ICL should mean this doesn't cause them an ounce of bother financially.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
i hate the bcci....stop being so damn political and realize that Zimbabwe is using ICC funds to further the livelihood and agenda of a terrible regime. How can they have a conscience about this - look at the news, mugabe and his group of thugs maimed voters to keep them from voting against the regime. this is truly criminal.

i wish the bcci would just implode.