• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to measure bowling speed

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Momentum is just speed times weight, since weight remains the same, momentum in our case depends on speed alone. The only difference between heavier ball and a normal ball then would be the amount of speed a ball loses after it hits the pitch. So you're right, if through wrist/body action. You can hit the deck harder, the ball would probably lose much less speed off the pitch and carry more momentum.
momentum depends on speed, but what we measure is horizontal velocity of the ball. "Heavy" balls keep their vertical speeds for a longer time, hence bounce more.

brsrikrishna

Cricket Spectator
Hey, guys, I am a 14 year old, almost 15.
I am presently bowling at a 114-115 Kmph. I was wondering wteher this is an okay pace for my age.

brsrikrishna

Cricket Spectator
Really? Thanks alot. But the thing is i want to measure my accurate spped. So do you know how much a speedball costs? I want it in Indian rupees.

Almostmadeit

Cricket Spectator
An easy way to calculate how fast a bowler you actually are is to measure how how you can project the cricket ball through the air and then measure it when it first hits the ground.Apparently, Devon Malcolm could Bowl the ball around 86 Meters until it landed and he was seriously quick, even by Test standards(96MPH)
The way to work it out is to simply add 12% onto how many meters you bowled the ball.Eg;if you can bowl the ball 65 Meters add 12% to that figure and you have a bowling speed of approx 72-73 MHP.(No tail wind of such)
The furthest i could bowl was 69 Meters and was considered fairy sharp by Yorkshire,but like 'lightening' in some of the lower league cricket!::::D

King Pietersen

International Captain
But how do you measure your blowing speed?
An easy way to calculate how fast a blower you actually are is to measure how how you can blow a malteser with a straw across a desk then measure it when it first hits the ground. See how far you can blow it across a table, then add 12%. Apparently Mike Gatting could do 8.6m, and he was seriously quick, even by Test standards (9.6MPH).
The way to work it out is to simply add 12% onto how many meters you blowed the malteser.Eg;if you can blow the ball 6.5 Meters add 12% to that figure and you have a bowling speed of approx 7.2-7.3 MHP.(No tail wind of such)
The furthest i could blow was 6.9 Meters and was considered fairy sharp by Yorkshire,but like 'lightening' in some of the lower league malteser blowing!:::

Almostmadeit

Cricket Spectator
An easy way to calculate how fast a blower you actually are is to measure how how you can blow a malteser with a straw across a desk then measure it when it first hits the ground. See how far you can blow it across a table, then add 12%. Apparently Mike Gatting could do 8.6m, and he was seriously quick, even by Test standards (9.6MPH).
The way to work it out is to simply add 12% onto how many meters you blowed the malteser.Eg;if you can blow the ball 6.5 Meters add 12% to that figure and you have a bowling speed of approx 7.2-7.3 MHP.(No tail wind of such)
The furthest i could blow was 6.9 Meters and was considered fairy sharp by Yorkshire,but like 'lightening' in some of the lower league malteser blowing!:::
Oh dear!!!!! Its one of those forums is it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well to be honest your original post is a little odd. How does a bowler bowl a ball 80 meters before the ball bounces?

Almostmadeit

Cricket Spectator
I might add that back in 1983/84 this exact same method was used at Lords, by the English and Welsh cricket board in the hunt for a potential fast bowler.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
The problem with that methodology is that you're releasing at a completely different point than you would for a bowl, and we've all seen how Mitchell Johnson's pace varies based on length.

Almostmadeit

Cricket Spectator
Thats a very good point ohnoitsyou.Maybe the above formula i mentioned is a bit 'crude',and as you rightly point out, the releasing point is not the one you would bowl at in a match.Would be interesting to see any sets of results where both speed of ball is calculated by a speed gun and by the formula that i mention and see if they match up?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
An easy way to calculate how fast a bowler you actually are is to measure how how you can project the cricket ball through the air and then measure it when it first hits the ground.Apparently, Devon Malcolm could Bowl the ball around 86 Meters until it landed and he was seriously quick, even by Test standards(96MPH)
The way to work it out is to simply add 12% onto how many meters you bowled the ball.Eg;if you can bowl the ball 65 Meters add 12% to that figure and you have a bowling speed of approx 72-73 MHP.(No tail wind of such)
The furthest i could bowl was 69 Meters and was considered fairy sharp by Yorkshire,but like 'lightening' in some of the lower league cricket!::::D
But people release the ball at different heights....if two bowlers released the ball at the same horizontal speed but from different heights (not to mention angles), the person who was taller will generally release it from higher, and his will go further before hitting the ground.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think using the method they 'unearthed' Gordon Cowans,he bowled the ball some 85 Meters.In his day he was a very quick bowler but struggled with consistency.
I imagine that was due to being distracted by playing in midfield for Aston Villa.

Norman Cowans, on the other hand... :p