• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you deal with the ICL

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi,

Simple hypothetical situation - you have just attained total power over the BCCI's policy toward the ICL and the IPL. What would you do regarding the ICL/IPL.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would ban everyone who had an association with the ICL from any BCCI sponsored tournaments. I would schedule international matches at the same time the ICL is playing thier matches to steal their audience. I would encourage other countries to ban players who took part in unofficial tournaments by promising more lucrative series against those countries if they did so and give them bad venues, times and shorter series if they went against our directive.

I would use my political connections to try and remove any tax exemption status from ICL events, and I would pressure advertisers into not supporting the ICL by excluding them from sponsoring any BCCI event in the future. I would encourage the rival network to fold the league by promising them something in the future (e.g, favored deals on TV rights, or choice of venues for certain ODIs, etc).

Some of those things being unethical and illegal, but in all honesty if I thought them a threat to my core business, that's what I'd want to do.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I would ban everyone who had an association with the ICL from any BCCI sponsored tournaments. I would schedule international matches at the same time the ICL is playing thier matches to steal their audience. I would encourage other countries to ban players who took part in unofficial tournaments by promising more lucrative series against those countries if they did so and give them bad venues, times and shorter series if they went against our directive.

I would use my political connections to try and remove any tax exemption status from ICL events, and I would pressure advertisers into not supporting the ICL by excluding them from sponsoring any BCCI event in the future. I would encourage the rival network to fold the league by promising them something in the future (e.g, favored deals on TV rights, or choice of venues for certain ODIs, etc).

Some of those things being unethical and illegal, but in all honesty if I thought them a threat to my core business, that's what I'd want to do.
I never thought you'd take such a violent approach toward a twenty20 competition:)

LA ICE-E

State Captain

so basically what the BCCI is trying to do currently

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's about money

The 2 competitions might be able to co-exist but if they can't:

a. do what SS says; or

b. give them TV rights

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
That remains to be seen.
Players joined the ICL because the money was very good even though they were warned and some may never play international cricket again.Now they a better option of IPL-the same great money and they get to play international cricket too-why would any cricketer who is any good join the ICL again-it is what it is.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Does the ICL have any good indian players? Like the domestic ones not counting the old players? why didn't shane bond go to the IPL?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IIRR, the IPL wasn't even public knowledge at the time Bond signed with the ICL.

I seem to recall several Indian players signing with the ICL, incidentally - remember ss got extremely excited about it.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Does the ICL have any good indian players? Like the domestic ones not counting the old players?
No players who are drop dead fantastic, but TP Singh would be on the fringes of ODI selection if not for the ICL due to spectacular fielding, handy batting and useful spin bowling.

Junjhunwala is regarded as the most talented batsman in the ICL but he is an underperformer - he may excel in the 4 day competition planned for the ICL though.

Abu Nechim can bowl at 140kph and extracts good outswing but is somewhat wayward - he would likely be in the top 30 fast bowlers in India in terms of esteem with the selectors; if his T20 bowling is anything to go by in terms of 50 over cricket and 4 day bowling.

Ganapathi Vignesh opens the bowling and batting on occasions. Bowls at 120-125kph with good swing and is a very, very agressive batsman.

Rajagopal Sathish was India XI captain in the World Series after averaging 42.50 and strike rating at 163.46. Ambati Rayudu was once touted as India's great batting hope but underperformed in domestic cricket and has done well in the ICL so far.

Ali Murtaza was very economical in the first ICL competition and did well in the ICL 50s.
Amit Uniyal has been injured recently but is said to be able to bowl 140kph
Shalabh Srivastava bowls quick medium pace and nudges 140kph with good bounce but has not done well in the ICL.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the IPL teams dont want those players then they maybe not good anyway.The ICL is already a 2nd tier competition-they wont do well with 2nd tier players.
You'd be surprised what people will watch. The ICL's audiences for their first season were far from poor - infinitely better, UIMM, than the audiences for WSC (the only precendent)'s first season. We don't know what the future will hold, of course, but things certainly didn't start out-and-out badly.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd be surprised what people will watch. The ICL's audiences for their first season were far from poor - infinitely better, UIMM, than the audiences for WSC (the only precendent)'s first season. We don't know what the future will hold, of course, but things certainly didn't start out-and-out badly.
I watched the ICL occasionally on Zee Cinema, it wasn't too bad. Dean Jones, being a partial owner, was so enthusiastic about everything, it was mildly amusing. "Well, gee, that's the best straight drive I've ever seen". It was very corny as well, but in a good way, with theatrical demonstrations of commentators supporting their teams, I remember one commentator hammering a stump into a ground to emphasise which team he was supporting.:laugh: The studio discussion was pretty solid too.

adharcric

International Coach
IIRR, the IPL wasn't even public knowledge at the time Bond signed with the ICL.

I seem to recall several Indian players signing with the ICL, incidentally - remember ss got extremely excited about it.
Haha no, pretty sure SS got excited at the prospect of a mass exodus of quality cricketers. Some left at the time but I'm sure the good ones are regretting the move now that the IPL is around and dominating. Only Jhunjhunwala, AN Ahmed and Ambati Rayudu are serious losses for Indian cricket.

brockley

International Captain
When 20/20 is so big ICL will survive as it has a niche maket and it has big sponsorship too edelweiss.I see it getting bigger and their will always be players available for it.
ICC to weak to stop it they can't stop the bcci.
Nothing bcci can do no leg to stand on,its an era 20/20 is a success and icl cashing in on it.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Having established the clear superiority of the IPL, I would co-opt the ICL and set that that as the low end brand.

So, IPL: premium tournament coordinated with the FTP and be very careful of diluting this in any way.
ICL - more year around circus made up of former and fringe players. And
would liberally extend ICL franchises to milk other markets like BD, Pakistan, UAE,
Malaysia etc.

Top two ICL teams to participate in the IPL would be the way those two would be connected.

brockley

International Captain
I think the promise of ICL is its mutating,and that can only be good,see them taking it overseas.
Expect an nglish ICL side next year.
The lahore badshahs was a brilliant idea.
ICL will survive and grow,no not IPL,but its a 20/20 market now anything 20/20 can work.