• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MY APL proposal (IE Aussie IPL)

brockley

International Captain
Nufan i think your idea is fine i just like mine better :cool: Playing home and away is a good expansion idea..
Maybe 2 overseas players would be fine if everyone available.
The salary on my ideas would be a lot less than IPl,because you wouldn't pay that much for state based players anyway.
city rnachises could keep the state colours perhaps.
Definitely needs to be in october and not january otherwise we will have the same players as we did last season and not the rep players.
October tends to be a lull in international and the domestic season for some reason.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I like the October part, cause twenty20 is a great marketing tool to get people interested in Cricket again.

Can't see how Canberra would get a team before a 2nd NZ side btw.

I'm not really concerned about the players payments btw, more concerned about the money Cricket Australia can generate and getting more people noticing that the domestic players are our future Australian players.

brockley

International Captain
My idea is too make the canberra side a state of origin side.
Cricket australia by the look of things is looking to turn this into a big cash cow,i think its promising.

pasag

RTDAS
My idea is too make the canberra side a state of origin side.
Cricket australia by the look of things is looking to turn this into a big cash cow,i think its promising.
Mate, there's no indication to say that taking a diluted product to an ultra-competitive Australian market will be profitable in any way. At best we'll see a high degree of cannibalisation, where you'll get people going to APL matches instead of ODI games (ie 'Been to the cricket for the season').

Even if CA pumped money into marketing it, I can't see where the attendance and viewing population are going to come from. It's just not going to happen and it definitely isn't going to become a 'cash cow'.

brockley

International Captain
Be prepared for changes pasaq,thats what cricket austaralia is buzzing for.
BTW you know who this is pasaq :cool:

brockley

International Captain
If we can'r get NZ then bangladesh or srilanka.
What do you think cricket australia will come up with since they want it to be a cash cow.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
get NZ a north island side and a south island side in all the aussie domestic comps. I know NZ cricket was putting the idea forward to CA.

brockley

International Captain
Aussie is strong standards you'd want the kiwi international side,2 kiwi sides are too much and you want to develop a side like canberra,and its not like the canberra comets haven't had kiwi players before,jamie how,sherlock,ross taylor.
Yes asia is another region but close enough,a bangladesh or srilanka side could just treat it as a tour,both are strapped for cash i am sure they would be happy for an invite i am sure the prize would be a decent one under an APL.

Athlai

Not Terrible
If this is APL similar to IPL wouldn't that mean the inclusion of internationals? If so a north and south (inc. Wellington) NZ team would be of high enough standard to compete. One's enough but two wouldn't go wrong either.

brockley

International Captain
But to have 8 sides you would then have to dispense with the canberra side,wouldn't it be better to pack the canberra side with kiwi players.
Yes their would be a case for international players like in IPL,how many i don't know,not 4 like IPL 4 too many.

brockley

International Captain
I think its the case with canberra being our capital it has a lot of money their,so you would have to go with a canberra side.
Altho it could be half canberrans half kiwis.
What you need is the kiwi international side and brand it like the western warriors,have a suad of 20.And any further players can go to anberra or other sides.
I think too have the canberra comets team play in the NZ domestic 20/20,and have ot half kiwi half aussie.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
If this is APL similar to IPL wouldn't that mean the inclusion of internationals? If so a north and south (inc. Wellington) NZ team would be of high enough standard to compete. One's enough but two wouldn't go wrong either.
I don't think North and South New Zealand teams would work at all TBH. I remember the North vs South matches that used to proceed the domestic one day final where players that were born in the North Island were selected to play against those born in the South (e.g.Fleming played for the South even though he was with Wellington then). It seemed like a selection of players just stuck together with no real desire to win for their 'Island', more to impress selectors, so no surprise to see it was abandonned. Don't think the idea would work in a professional league from a NZ point of view either.

brockley

International Captain
I agree and i favour canberra because its an australia league and we are developing cricket in australia.
We just have to bulk up the canberra side,whther it be by other state players,academy players,overseas players state players or former canberra players.The experience for canberra based players will be great and puts selectors eyes on canberra players for national selection.
2 kiwi sides is just a knees up to NZ especially when this is an australian league and not a NZ league.
If kiwis want a 20/20 comp they should come up with their own ideas.
I mentioned canberra and NZ because these 2 sides have been floated by cricket australia for the APL.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I don't think North and South New Zealand teams would work at all TBH. I remember the North vs South matches that used to proceed the domestic one day final where players that were born in the North Island were selected to play against those born in the South (e.g.Fleming played for the South even though he was with Wellington then). It seemed like a selection of players just stuck together with no real desire to win for their 'Island', more to impress selectors, so no surprise to see it was abandonned. Don't think the idea would work in a professional league from a NZ point of view either.
thats not correct ... its where the player played their frist/ first class match.. thats why cairns played for the north island because he first played for ND 88-89 then for cant 90- until the end.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
thats not correct ... its where the player played their frist/ first class match.. thats why cairns played for the north island because he first played for ND 88-89 then for cant 90- until the end.
My apologies, was always under the impression it was place of birth.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
thts okay.. i think the concept has merit nth vs south.. i just dont think it was marketed well .. and from memory i think it was one 50 over match. they could probably try again but use the 20/20 format.. best of 3.. maybe as a conclusion after the state 20/20 comp. if someone put some money behind it .. itll work..

brockley

International Captain
If you have canberra players higgs,ricthard,bolger,swards and perera,and then add canberra players playing elsewhere heaney,divin,dawson,rogers,mcneill,j crossthwait,cunningham and haddin,you may have a competitive 20/20 team.