• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Jones dismissal of Michael Clarke, 2005 ashes, Old Trafford, 2nd innings.

Which was it?

• Total voters

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
just saw it again recently and can't make my mind up so i thought i'd let you mofo's make it for me.

certainly one of those delivery's that'll stick in your mind for a long time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes! One of my favourite deliveries ever!

I've mentioned this a few times, but cos the cricket was on late here in Melb I fell asleep ont eh couch, but randomly opened my eyes and sat up to look at the scores. I saw Jones' reverse swinger to get Clarke, and was immediately wide awake and watched the rest of the famous test.

Amazing. It would have been even better seeing it the first time if I saw all the set up balls Jones bowled to him.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at that Youtube video again, I might want to change my vote. Pitched wider than I remembered.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
While its hard to blame the batsmen for leaving a ball that pitched a good way outside offstump. The batsmen knew England had the ability to reverse it both ways and should have played for it IMO.

Saying that, the one Katich left was worse i think. Although neither are as bad as the one Rudolph left to Bicknell back in 2003 i think it was. Talk about pressure getting to someone.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a bit grainy, but has it reveresed, or did it deck into him, or a bit of both?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke had a couple of shockers in that series. The one in question and the slower ball from Harmisson was another beauty.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that Clarke was the shocker, just the look of the dismissals were shocking.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All reverse,

Jones was swinging it the other way previous balls/overs. It was just a great set-up.
Yeah thought that from my vague memories of watching it at the time, but wasn't sure. Cheers.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haha, can't believe that people are saying that Katich's was worse. Flintoff bowled an over of away swingers, then brought one back in that looked like the exact same ball and it just hit the off stump.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, can't believe that people are saying that Katich's was worse. Flintoff bowled an over of away swingers, then brought one back in that looked like the exact same ball and it just hit the off stump.
Word, was right at the ground when Freddie worked him over (although from a side on view), thought he left alone a straight one but when i saw the replay damnnnnnn, one had to realise that something special was going on.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Was that the Channel 9 commentary team? Nicholas, Benaud, Slater and Greig.
channel 4 isnt it for England

damn there was some fine bowling in that series from both sides..
i miss that series..before that i didnt think test cricket could be so great... i mean all i was watching was Australia thrash sides... the games with India are ok.. but those are more batting friendly/spin friendly and such.... but that series was just crazy .. never seen fast bowling like that (and legspin... warney was at his best)