Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Lancashire junior cricket trials

Cricket Spectator

Lancashire junior cricket trials

does anybody on here know when the junior trials for 14 year olds are?

and just a query from a mate of mine if you get into the lancashire junior team do you get free coaching or admission to lancashires indoor cricket centre?

Cover Drive Man wants me to go. Although Liverpool to Manchester is a long drive. I would like to know whether Lancashire have any young spin bowlers, with simmilar batting and fielding to Monty Panesar.

Also I have a friend in school who plays for Lancashire children. I will ask him.
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Whenever/wherever they are, they will not be open access.

You would be recommended by club/school, and if they're anything like Devon or Oxfordshire, they will kick the trial process into gear at the end of August.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

This thread has brought back traumatic memories of playing for Kent U10 and U11s.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Not necessarily. Here you can work your way through a series of development courses during the winter, with trials early season outdoors. If you're any good, performances in league or schools cricket will be noted and you'll get a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    Not necessarily. Here you can work your way through a series of development courses during the winter, with trials early season outdoors. If you're any good, performances in league or schools cricket will be noted and you'll get a go.
    i.e. you don't just turn up unheralded and say "can I play for Lancashire"

Cricket Spectator

You would be recommended by club/school, and if they're anything like Devon or Oxfordshire, they will kick the trial process into gear at the end of August.
    i think anyone can turn up to the trails in lancashire

Quote Originally Posted by pnesam07 View Post
    would be one crowded trial that...

even Holland's trials aren't open access and we have about 10% of lancashires cricket popularity :')
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

i.e. you don't just turn up unheralded and say "can I play for Lancashire"
    The final trial, yeah obviously. Wouldn't recommend doing it unless you knew you were very, very good anyway - i.e. far too good for most of the junior teams you play against.

Quote Originally Posted by pnesam07 View Post
    That won't happen as it will be a child protection nightmare. How do you know if the kids playing are asthmatic? Or allergic to wasp stings and liable to need life-saving Epipen injections? Or who to contact if there's an injury? Or how to time manage and plan for a number you don't know? Or how to keep a reasonable (and legal) player:coach ratio?

That won't happen as it will be a child protection nightmare. How do you know if the kids playing are asthmatic? Or allergic to wasp stings and liable to need life-saving Epipen injections? Or who to contact if there's an injury? Or how to time manage and plan for a number you don't know? Or how to keep a reasonable (and legal) player:coach ratio?
    ...and to avoid loads of ****e players turning up.

You still get ****e even on invitation. Two words: Primary Schools.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I remember that to get into Yorkshire u-11s/13s, you had to represent a district side, like Bradford Schools or Aire-Wharfe Taverners or something like that. I think there is a trials system for people who don't play for them, but it is very hard to get5 in if you don't play district. I got in via Bradford Schools IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Spectator
    I had Lancashire U14 trials for the 08/09 season. You can't just turn up you are invited, either put forward by your school or club. However, to be honest, they were a waste of time and badly organized. By date was changed several times, and when I finally did go it had been changed to an hour later, due to a kids party taking priority. I wasn't even informed of the change. Then when there and the trials began none of the coaches knew what size ball to use (I.e. Full size or not).

The first lot of trials (there a 2 to begin with, I only turned up to 1 however as I wasn't impressed) were indoors. These were around October (Can't really remember as they were changed so much) and were in the indoor nets at Old Trafford. This was another mistake, having the trials out of the playing season and in the winter when no-one had been playing cricket. If you have impressed the coaches then there is another trial which are outdoors around April and May, which you must get through to get to the final trial, which then decides who will be in the squad.

5 people from my school (including me) had trials, 3 didn't turn up at all, I went to 1 out of 2, and the other guy went and got to the final trial (waiting to find out whether or not he is in the squad.) 1 of the 3 (excluding me) that didn't turn up was ex-Lancashire, and he himself didn't like it. 1 was injured and the other 1 didn't turn up as he had heard how bad it was.

The actually coaching/playing games I think is free, however you must fork out a few hundred pounds to buy the official suit, etc.

EDIT: Also I don't think district has anything to do with it. I played district, however district is kinda 'half-baked' because several of the best players from most districts just don't get in for some reason. This is normally most of the best players are from one club side and people feel awkward picking a district side mainly from one club team and the other is that a coach from a club team is the coach for the ditrict team and are often bias to their own club and pick players from their club who probably shouldn't be in the team.
    Last edited by mattyl1995; 26-05-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Thread Information