• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lancashire junior cricket trials

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator
does anybody on here know when the junior trials for 14 year olds are?

and just a query from a mate of mine if you get into the lancashire junior team do you get free coaching or admission to lancashires indoor cricket centre?

andmark

International Captain
Cover Drive Man wants me to go. Although Liverpool to Manchester is a long drive. I would like to know whether Lancashire have any young spin bowlers, with simmilar batting and fielding to Monty Panesar.

Also I have a friend in school who plays for Lancashire children. I will ask him.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Whenever/wherever they are, they will not be open access.

You would be recommended by club/school, and if they're anything like Devon or Oxfordshire, they will kick the trial process into gear at the end of August.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
This thread has brought back traumatic memories of playing for Kent U10 and U11s.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Not necessarily. Here you can work your way through a series of development courses during the winter, with trials early season outdoors. If you're any good, performances in league or schools cricket will be noted and you'll get a go.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Not necessarily. Here you can work your way through a series of development courses during the winter, with trials early season outdoors. If you're any good, performances in league or schools cricket will be noted and you'll get a go.
i.e. you don't just turn up unheralded and say "can I play for Lancashire"

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator

You would be recommended by club/school, and if they're anything like Devon or Oxfordshire, they will kick the trial process into gear at the end of August.
i think anyone can turn up to the trails in lancashire

Jungle Jumbo

i.e. you don't just turn up unheralded and say "can I play for Lancashire"
The final trial, yeah obviously. Wouldn't recommend doing it unless you knew you were very, very good anyway - i.e. far too good for most of the junior teams you play against.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
i think anyone can turn up to the trails in lancashire
That won't happen as it will be a child protection nightmare. How do you know if the kids playing are asthmatic? Or allergic to wasp stings and liable to need life-saving Epipen injections? Or who to contact if there's an injury? Or how to time manage and plan for a number you don't know? Or how to keep a reasonable (and legal) player:coach ratio?

Jungle Jumbo

That won't happen as it will be a child protection nightmare. How do you know if the kids playing are asthmatic? Or allergic to wasp stings and liable to need life-saving Epipen injections? Or who to contact if there's an injury? Or how to time manage and plan for a number you don't know? Or how to keep a reasonable (and legal) player:coach ratio?
...and to avoid loads of ****e players turning up.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I remember that to get into Yorkshire u-11s/13s, you had to represent a district side, like Bradford Schools or Aire-Wharfe Taverners or something like that. I think there is a trials system for people who don't play for them, but it is very hard to get5 in if you don't play district. I got in via Bradford Schools IIRC.

mattyl1995

Cricket Spectator
I had Lancashire U14 trials for the 08/09 season. You can't just turn up you are invited, either put forward by your school or club. However, to be honest, they were a waste of time and badly organized. By date was changed several times, and when I finally did go it had been changed to an hour later, due to a kids party taking priority. I wasn't even informed of the change. Then when there and the trials began none of the coaches knew what size ball to use (I.e. Full size or not).

The first lot of trials (there a 2 to begin with, I only turned up to 1 however as I wasn't impressed) were indoors. These were around October (Can't really remember as they were changed so much) and were in the indoor nets at Old Trafford. This was another mistake, having the trials out of the playing season and in the winter when no-one had been playing cricket. If you have impressed the coaches then there is another trial which are outdoors around April and May, which you must get through to get to the final trial, which then decides who will be in the squad.

5 people from my school (including me) had trials, 3 didn't turn up at all, I went to 1 out of 2, and the other guy went and got to the final trial (waiting to find out whether or not he is in the squad.) 1 of the 3 (excluding me) that didn't turn up was ex-Lancashire, and he himself didn't like it. 1 was injured and the other 1 didn't turn up as he had heard how bad it was.

The actually coaching/playing games I think is free, however you must fork out a few hundred pounds to buy the official suit, etc.

EDIT: Also I don't think district has anything to do with it. I played district, however district is kinda 'half-baked' because several of the best players from most districts just don't get in for some reason. This is normally most of the best players are from one club side and people feel awkward picking a district side mainly from one club team and the other is that a coach from a club team is the coach for the ditrict team and are often bias to their own club and pick players from their club who probably shouldn't be in the team.

Last edited: