• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The thrill of the draw

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Ah yes, that brings back great memories. Mohali was quite possibly the turning point for me and really made me appreciate Test cricket. 2005 was a great year for cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funny, actually, now I look - Pakistan come-up three times as the escaping team in the Tests I've mentioned (and there could be another, Karachi 1998/99, but I thought I'd leave that out as Pakistan had already lost the series in that Test so it wasn't as thrilling as it would've been had they been leading it - same applies to England escaping against India at The Oval 2007). And thus Pakistan with four real stave-offs in the last decade escaped more than anyone. And really, Pakistan are probably the last team anyone would expect to see high on such a list as the stereotype has it that they're not good at that sort of play.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, might be some potential for confusion. Have edited that post to make it rather clearer what I meant.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'Cos we'd have won it if time lost to rain could be made-up. Did you read the opening paragraph?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, escaping a loss can be just as exciting as sneaking a win - there's something amazing about watching (for example, as he's so bloody good at it) Chanderpaul batting on the 5th evening with the tail, trying to turn what looks like a defeat into a draw.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't care if it's a draw, a win or a loss, just love the fact a game goes down to the last session, even better if it's the last over. Basically, for me, any test match where both teams are competitive that the result comes down to the last hour is the reason why I watch cricket.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I would've said Old Trafford 2005, but the fact that I was actually sleeping diluted its impact just a tad.

Chennai 2004 was an escape of sorts (albeit not of our own doing). We were certainly not favourites, so I'll select that (more by default than anything else).