• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

all time Indian X1 simplified version

your all time 11

• Total voters

ret

International Debutant
yeah yeah, i know too many of these threads but couldn't resist starting one as i felt that that there needed to be simpler process and ofc there's no need to knock of one of Merchant [rated as the best opener by some] and Sehwag [2 triple 100s, tons of other big 100s and amongst the 4 to average 50+ after playing 50 or more tests] .... they can both be in the 11 *duh*

as i said this is a simplified version, so select your 11 from the 21 short-listed below .... you can't go wrong with the 21 below

your votes should be distributed in this manner
5 to 6 batsmen ----> so if you want five batsmen in your 11, select 5 from the 6 below. if you want all 6 select all 6
the 5 to 6 batsmen ----> Merchant, Gavaskar, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar and Hazarre

select 1 [if you went for 6 batsmen] or 2 [if you went for 5 batsmen] from the list below
bowling all-rounders ----> Kapil, Mankad and Shastri

1 WK [Ofc thats taken :p]
WK all-rounders ----> Engineer and Dhoni
WK ----> Kirmani

and 3 from the 9 guys below
Quicks ---------> Amar, Nissar, Srinath and Zak
Spinners -----> Chandra, Gupte, Kumble, Parsanna and Bedi

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Merchant
Gavaskar
Dravid
Tendulkar
Hazare
Sehwag
Kapil Dev
Engineer
Srinath
Kumble
Bedi

You don't have enough batting options. Really should've included Azharuddin, umrigar, vengsarkar, viswanth and maybe ganguly and laxman

ret

International Debutant
You don't have enough batting options. Really should've included Azharuddin, umrigar, vengsarkar, viswanth and maybe ganguly and laxman
yep, but this one is simplified version .... besides the 6 batsmen short-listed are good enough to do the job :thumbsup:

Mechant ----> FC avg of 72
Gavaskar, Sehwag, Dravid and Tendulkar ----> all 50 +
Hazare ----> 48

ret

International Debutant
with heavy weights like Merchant, Gavaskar, Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid and Hazare to chose from, i guess, 5 of them [as we are hoping that all of them would be in their best form] would do the job with a couple of them hitting big one .... the 5 can be supported by the 3 all-rounders

my 11

Merchant
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Dravid
Mankad
Kapil
Dhoni
Chandra
Nissar
Amar

with Mankad and Kapil, along with Nissar, Amar and Chandra, the wizard, the bowling has all the fire power. Sehwag can chip in with some off-spin too

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My XI -

Engineer
Gavaskar
Dravid
Tendulkar
Azharuddin
Vengsarkar
Kapil
Kumble
Srinath
Bedi
Nissar

Good trick to omit other middle-order batsmen from the poll so that Sehwag gets selected...I shall vote for the 9 who are in my XI and 2 random choices though that might not make a good playing XI...But I am helpless since I can't get my best XI from the poll...

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
My XI -

Engineer
Gavaskar
Dravid
Tendulkar
Azharuddin
Vengsarkar
Kapil
Kumble
Srinath
Bedi
Nissar

Good trick to omit other middle-order batsmen from the poll so that Sehwag gets selected...I shall vote for the 9 who are in my XI and 2 random choices though that might not make a good playing XI...But I am helpless since I can't get my best XI from the poll...
WoW .... so you have Engineer opening in an all-time X1 to accommodate someone like Md Azharuddin, who has been suspected of being involved in match-fixing and Vensarkar, who got most of his runs playing in Ind and who averages a poor 32 in 60+ tests he played abroad with his 3 100s at Lords to boast abt .... gr8 all-time X1 8-)

and what more choice do you want Jaffar and Jaisima :laugh:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
WoW .... so you have Engineer opening in an all-time X1 to accommodate someone like Md Azharuddin, who has been suspected of being involved in match-fixing and Vensarkar, who got most of his runs playing in Ind and who averages a poor 32 in 60+ tests he played abroad with his 3 100s at Lords to boast abt .... gr8 all-time X1 8-)

and what more choice do you want Jaffar and Jaisima :laugh:
Yup, because playing well on Indian pitches is not a crime and because I believe Azharuddin and Vengsarkar were better test batsmen than Sehwag (though the situation may change in 2 years) or others...I don't state it as a fact, it is my belief...Beliefs will change from person to person...I didn't know I had to have the same beliefs like you to be able to post in this forum...

In answer to the second part of your question, I would say no...A choice of 6 batsmen and 60 bowlers is OK...I want you as a National selector...Then we would see 2 batsmen and 12 bowlers in a 14 members Indian team...Sachin will get dropped for someone like Goni...I'm waiting for that day...Anyways, why do you need a poll?...If you want your favourite team then declare your favourite 11 members' team and the problem will be solved...

ret

International Debutant
the x1 so far from 14 votes

Merchant
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Dravid
Hazare
Kapil
Engineer
Srinath
Kumble
Bedi

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sehwag at three. Well it makes sense, I always knew you want India to collapse all the time.

My team:
  1. Merchant
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Dravid
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Hazare
  6. Umrigar (Kumble and Bedi at home, Gupte and Chandrasekhar away)
  7. Kirmani
  8. Dev
  9. Gupte (away)/Bedi (home)
  10. Amar Singh
  11. Nissar

ret

International Debutant
let's pick a team to take on

all-time Australian X1 for a four match series

2 games at Melbourne and Sydney .... followed by 2 at Kolkatta and Mumbai

Or the WI all time X1 for a four match series

2 games at Jamaica and Barbados .... followed by 2 at Delhi and Chennai