• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CricketWeb Community- Project Bulgaria

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ok guys, I need some help and it may well be a pretty interesting and rewarding thing to do.

The Bulgarian Cricket Federation have recently comeback from Lords after the meeting of European cricket organisations.

This time next year Bulgaria will be an Affiliate country.

Unlike a number of other organisations, they dont want money or equipment. Quite frankly the lack of money-grubbing is admirable.

They have approached me to provide what they do want, and that is coaching.

I have said I will try and do 2 things. Provide 2-3 teams (one of which will be CW) for an International 6s event in Sofia early next summer and to try and bring a couple of guys over to help run a coaching camp this summer.

Qualified is preferable but certainly isnt important (as Im not).

Its a chance to experience Sofia (it would be voluntary but I should be able to sort out accommodation) and help prepare the national team for the Euro Champs and help inexperienced guys learn the game.

They are desperate for the input of knowledge and I feel bad if I know I can help such passionate people and I dont.

So these are my requests.
a) A couple of guys get a cheap flight over and help run a coaching clink (a plus is the beer is dirt cheap)
b) We get a 6s team together and then write about the experience.

This is a brief note as Im going out right now. Ill add more later

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sounds fantastic! I'm pretty far, but depending on the timing, I might be in Europe. I won't be of any coaching help, but I can provide moral support, and I'd love to watch the team. And I'm a pretty good umpire, though perhaps slightly biased in giving LBW's. :D

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
would possibilly be able to help you with this Goughy, very tempted(and closer then SS)
I can coach a bit, done U9, U10, U11s at my old club reg. but im sure I can coach a few non-cricketers :p
would it be coaching only or would we be playing aswell ?
and how long are we lookng at?

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
I could join this theoretically, unfortunately I've never even played cricket at any sort of competitive level. Do you need someone to carry the drinks? I can do that to a fair standard.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds fantastic! I'm pretty far, but depending on the timing, I might be in Europe. I won't be of any coaching help, but I can provide moral support, and I'd love to watch the team. And I'm a pretty good umpire, though perhaps slightly biased in giving LBW's. :D
how is your first chance average ?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yeah, defo a possibility. Probs the most far away, but that's never stopped me before. Can you give me a more exact date Goughy?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
If the BCF is willing to pay for my flight, I'm in. :D

Next year might be out of the question depending on how much it costs but I'll see what I can do. Umpiring would be the one thing I'd be good for.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly interested, but obviously my current situation is up-in-the-air anyway. Don't know a date yet, of course, and don't know what I'll be doing on it as I don't know what it is.

PY

International Coach
If it's organised better than your average Friday night brewup then I could be interested in the 6s part, don't have any experience of coaching though I'm afraid. :(

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Would probs be available, though i've no experience of coaching, played for my local side for a couple of years though, would depend on the general cost of the whole thing, as next year I won't have much money.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Spent some time in Bulgaria before. Enough to know my blagodarias from my molyas. Good luck with it, I'd certainly be in to assist if I was still in Europe, and I may well be in approximately a year's time in order to help, but unless there's free flights on offer at the moment, then a current option is a no-no.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
*bump*

After continued conversation with Bulgarian Federation.

I want to run a week long camp (5 days). A mix of standards, ranging from Bulgarian beginners to preparation for the national team before their European campaign.

I just need a couple of guys to have an adventure and help out. Ill be emailing a fleshed out proposal to the Federation this week. Accommodation will be organised and it is an interesting thing to help give back to cricket and even add to the CV.

Ive arranged a photo op and meeting with the British Ambassador; I will host a reception at my house and get a story in the Sofia Echo about the visit and the camp.

It will be in the UK school holidays as Neil Pickup is the guy I approached first and I really want to schedule this around.

So, any takers?

PY

International Coach
Which school holidays Goughy?

As I mentioned above, I'd be game but I have no coaching experience. Plus I want the opportunity to throw things at Neil.

Langeveldt

Soutie
When are you looking at doing this Kev? Which holidays? A ballpark figure as I will be going back to SA in October.. I'm quite willing to travel though, as I know from experience that you don't mess about.. I've got no coaching qualifications, but reckon I could be of use with my camera and playing skills..