• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricket-suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moby123

Banned
one of my friends said that some cricket players commit suicide after their career is over....thats not true is it?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wouldn't say they commit suicide themselves, but I'm sure some retired players have been a reason why some cricket fans have committed suicide, having to listen to their drivel in the commentary box.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket has traditionally had one of the higher suicide rate. There are always cases of it, though it appears to be on the decline. Even cases where Ive known the person (though not particularly closely) like David Bairstow

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket has traditionally had one of the higher suicide rate. There are always cases of it, though it appears to be on the decline. Even cases where Ive known the person (though not particularly closely) like David Bairstow
That's really interesting *And sad*. When did the majority of such suicides occur. first half of the 20th century?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Some Test cricketers (some very famous) that have committed suicide.

A E Stoddart and Arthur Shrewsbury, both England captains, who opened the batting together in Australia in 1893; S G Barnes, an Australian who shared gigantic stands with Bradman himself; South Africa's Aubrey Faulkner, the Botham of the Edwardian era; Harold Gimblett, Somerset's sublimely gifted opener, whose century in his first county match made him, at 20, the most famous cricketer in England; and, most recently, David Bairstow, a former Yorkshire captain and England wicket-keeper.

Using 2000 as the cut off mark, nearly 5% of all South African Test cricketers that had died had done so through suicide

Source

stumpski

International Captain
Jack Iverson was another.

''Silence of the Heart' is an excellent book and well worth seeking out. I like Frith's work anyway but I think it's right up there with 'Bodyline Autopsy.' The subject matter is a bit daunting I suppose, but it's sensitively written all the same. I suppose the writer had in mind that surviving relatives of the more recent cases might be reading.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Interesting thread.

Andrew Dention, in the foreword of Adam Gilchrist's Walking to Victory, stated categorically that "cricket has a higher incidence of suicide amongst its players than any other sport"...and once asked Peter Roebuck why this was so.

It's really ironic - how I was just thinking about suicide and its effects in a more general sense. :ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.