• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Night Test cricket - why not?

Should Test cricket run into night?

• Total voters

pasag

RTDAS
In other words start matches at 2pm than run into twilight/night.

Miller has brought it up on cricinfo and I think Boycott advocated it not long ago.

Main advantage would be it'd be great for people after work, would still be able to catch a session either at the ground or on TV and pushing the match into prime-time would significantly raise those figures. Also bad light issues, one of the most annoying things in the game, would become finally redundant.

The obvious drawbacks are the red ball under light issues and breaking with tradition (and watching the Ashes in England from Australia would suck :p).

Thoughts?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
In other words start matches at 2pm than run into twilight/night.

Miller has brought it up on cricinfo and I think Boycott advocated it not long ago.

Main advantage would be it'd be great for people after work, would still be able to catch a session either at the ground or on TV and pushing the match into prime-time would significantly raise those figures. Also bad light issues, one of the most annoying things in the game, would become finally redundant.

The obvious drawbacks are the red ball under light issues and breaking with tradition (and watching the Ashes in England from Australia would suck :p).

Thoughts?
Yeah, why not.
- No more bad light.
- Get to see more of a days play after work/school.

And, you have pointed out the obvious drawbacks, so......

Still think its worth a shot. Maybe the first step will be allowing the use of lights and play going into the evening, before actually starting the match at 2pm or there abouts.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Can see too many issues regarding what happens on field, and it would affect what happens on the ground far too much.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't be done until they get a ball that doesn't discolour after about 30 overs.
Nothing wrong with the idea though.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There will be issues such as ball colour, as we found out in one Test in New Zealand. Usman Afzaal was too scared to take a high catch in the deep.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
as long as they don't use a pink ball, i will be happy. maybe they should try flourescent yellow....

in all seriousness though, one of the most important symbols of test cricket is the red ball and whites, playing at night toys with that.

however, the additional "test" provided by playing at night - namely different conditions, makes it feasible. AND if it can bring more crowds and more money to the game, why not.

i still think the most important change that test cricket can make is to completely eliminate flat, overly-batsman friendly pitches. wickets should be prepared such that every test will yield a result, barring miraculous heroics by either team or the weather. but, this is a topic for another day.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i still think the most important change that test cricket can make is to completely eliminate flat, overly-batsman friendly pitches. wickets should be prepared such that every test will yield a result, barring miraculous heroics by either team or the weather. but, this is a topic for another day.
I've always found this attitude interesting because, seriously, we see way more results in Tests than we did 10 years and more ago. Pitches do seem to be a little flatter these days but the sheer pace of scoring means even if a team scores 500+, it can be chased-down and the game still won (Adelaide 2006/07, for example). Absolutely unheard of before 2000.

Whether it's still good cricket to watch is what's up for debate, for mine. A bat-fest with huge totals which gets a result still bores me if the bowlers are given nothing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The concept is fine. The technicalities need to be worked out.

In all honesty (as I posted in a thread a couple of weeks ago), it may turn my stomach but there really isnt a good reason to keep Tests in whites.

It would allow the same kits and balls to be used for all cricket. Help build a far stronger brand image and recognition and allow for night Tests.

I dont like the idea, but its one of them that 10 yrs after the introduction everyone wonders what all the fuss was about.

howardj

International Coach
If they ever solve the problem with the ball, it's more the differences in conditions from day to night that would be the biggest sticking point. I think you'd find most teams wanting to bowl at night. Ian Healy made this point earlier this year:

"I can envisage the Adelaide Test match, Australia-Day weekend, as a day-night Test match," he said.

"I think that wicket is going to stay the most consistent from afternoon to evening. That's the one to pick. I wouldn't do it in Perth, I wouldn't do it in Brisbane because it would be too lively at night with the new ball".

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know that commercial considerations are important but in England I hope it doesn't happen because test cricket is popular anyway

The main problem here is that the ball just doesn't behave in quite the same way from dusk onwards - although I suppose that in principle that's not really any different from the way conditions change when, say, the sun comes out on a grey overcast day I still think it would add something to the game I would rather leave out.

I don't know if other countries have the same problem however at the end of the day if playing at night is the only way test cricket will avoid being completely marginalised by 20/20 then I would, albeit somewhat reluctantly, accept that it must be tried.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The hell with night test cricket, how was it you met Sophie Monk?
Nothing to get too excited about. Work related and a one off. I had to deal with her. She was cute looking but I wouldnt say anything special but seemed nice enough during our conversation.

Certainly wasnt a bad day :)

As for night cricket. Im not convinced it should be done in the UK, but a change in ball would allow the lights to come on and get rid of bad light. That can only be a plus.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Main advantage would be it'd be great for people after work, would still be able to catch a session either at the ground or on TV
For me this is a huge thing. Since going from being a student to working, I've watched loads less test cricket. One of the main things I love about T20 is that I can go home and watch a match, rather than go home and watch highlights where I already know the score. Being able to watch live has been a great bonus of the recent WI-Aus series, for example. It's been at a perfect time really - about 4pm-11pm.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
For me this is a huge thing. Since going from being a student to working, I've watched loads less test cricket. One of the main things I love about T20 is that I can go home and watch a match, rather than go home and watch highlights where I already know the score. Being able to watch live has been a great bonus of the recent WI-Aus series, for example. It's been at a perfect time really - about 4pm-11pm.
Well 11pm is a bad time to finish each night. I'm thinking it would be 2:30 to 9:30.

Not ideal for everyone, but you wouldn't get many people watching the last session with an 11 pm finish [on weekdays].

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Used to love the old day/night Shield games, they were fantastic.

I'm all for it.

However, they should experiment with a few domestic games here and there, and then the odd test.