• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Night Test cricket - why not?

Should Test cricket run into night?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nothing wrong with the idea in principle, as has been said before. It's implausible with white clothes and red ball, but as Kev said, despite it always being this way there's really no real urgent need to keep it so. It'd feel odd watching Tests in coloured clothing for a while, but I'm sure it'd pass. I don't really know what anyone has against the pink ball mind, seems just about the perfect solution.

I don't want to see it in the UK because there's simply no need. Wouldn't imagine there is much of it in Australia either, or probably India. With West Indies I think the reasons for lack of crowds in recent times are generally put down to factors other than time of day. But New Zealand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and South Africa could all almost certainly gain something from day\night Test cricket. Absolutely, and would be quite happy to see it tried.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
As long as it never gets to the ridiculous stage where cricketers play past midnight (happens in tennis far too often) I don't I have a problem with it. Heck its probably a good thing as it means I get to watch more cricket after school.

Jakester1288

International Regular
No imo. I want to stick with tradition. I don'tr care if I get to watch more cricket after school. It would be gay imo.

Matt79

Global Moderator
:laugh:
Anyway there's no need in England because the crowds still come to Test Matches. Whether other parts of the world would suddenly start attending Test Matches that went on late into the evening is highly debatable.
Ditto Aus. Like the moron television execs that want to move the footy grand final that's been played on a Saturday afternoon for 105 years to date to an evening match - because it would be a "magnificent spectacle". FFS they get 98,000 people to the game as is, plus the biggest television audience of the year for it already as is.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It sounds good to me from a spectator's point of view, but day/night ODIs have frequently shown us a substantial difference in conditions under the lights. That's the only reservation I have, but it's quite a major one.

Craig

World Traveller
But how would you know it wouldn't be better with out giving day-night Tests a trial? If it doesn't work fine, but at least you know then.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
so if they switch to some playing day/night some traditionally, would some stick to whites or would everyone switch to color clothing?

pasag

RTDAS
Ditto Aus. Like the moron television execs that want to move the footy grand final that's been played on a Saturday afternoon for 105 years to date to an evening match - because it would be a "magnificent spectacle". FFS they get 98,000 people to the game as is, plus the biggest television audience of the year for it already as is.
Why are they morons though? Having the GF at night will increase their audiences by quite a bit. The 100,000 people are going to turn up regardless as will the core 1.5 mil that watch but if you want to get substantially greater figures around the country, which both the AFL want as do the execs, you have to move it to prime time. The only logical reason to go against it would be tradition. I have a more selfish motive for wanting it though - so I can attend for the first time in my life.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
RE: cricket; You can't compromise the product too greatly, otherwise people won't actually watch the product outside of the novelty.

RE: football; You can't get gassed all day if the final's on at night, can't remember it then.