• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Mankading 'against the spirit' of the game?

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Cricinfo has a piece on actions that made the lawmakers think about changes and one of them is a bowler running a batsman out in his delivery stride. They judge it to be against the spirit of the game, and I know the laws have been changed to make this virtually impossible these days.

Why is this against the spirit, if anything, it's an appropriate punishment for a batsman who's trying to cheat?

In more & more tight situations when the batsmen are trying to pinch a run or a bye the non-striker's almost a couple metres outside his crease when the bowler lets go of the ball, making the bye infinitely easier than it used to be. Run the buggers out.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pretty odd, I mean should they rule out run outs if the person falls over because its against the spirit of the game?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its not, and I do it many times (particularly in crunch situations where the game is on the line) when I play Indoor Cricket.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The law is perfectly fine as it is.

The batsman can be runout at anytime before the delivery stride.

The law is to stop the bowler faking to bowl and then running a batsman out as they are moving anticipating the delivery. Franky that is fine as its preventing clown like behaviour.

Once the act of delivery has started then lets focus on delivering the ball rather than playing silly beggars.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It only used to be against the spirit of the game if a bowler didn't give a warning prior to running the batsman out.
Ya fielders should also give a warning to the batsman before taking a catch otherwise it's against the spirit of the game...

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The law is perfectly fine as it is.

The batsman can be runout at anytime before the delivery stride.

The law is to stop the bowler faking to bowl and then running a batsman out as they are moving anticipating the delivery. Franky that is fine as its preventing clown like behaviour.

Once the act of delivery has started then lets focus on delivering the ball rather than playing silly beggars.
Would like to hear your view on this(3:22 Kapil-Peter Kirsten incident in SA) :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrmD8bVza0

Never seen Kapil Dev so angry, its just pure gold watching his emotions here.:laugh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Had a Mankading in a school U11 game the other week.

Batsman was about six yards down the wicket before our spinner was anywhere near his delivery stride... it has been suggested I should not have allowed it!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Had a Mankading in a school U11 game the other week.

Batsman was about six yards down the wicket before our spinner was anywhere near his delivery stride... it has been suggested I should not have allowed it!
I am assuming that you were the Umpire, which is very hard as usual in pretty much every tough situation in the middle.

I am just curious about the Umpire's role here - Can the Umpire do anything in case someone has been mankaded ? If the fielding side appeals for an out, what choice does an umpire have apart from giving the batsman out ?

And if the umpire says 'Not Out', wouldn't that be a wrong decision ?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Captain of a side I was playing in Mankaded a bloke on 99 once.

Umpire said "You're ****ing kidding aren't you?"

"No".

"Well then, it's out".

pasag

RTDAS
Its not, and I do it many times (particularly in crunch situations where the game is on the line) when I play Indoor Cricket.
I can't stand it in indoor. I know it's perfectly acceptable and part of the rules but I don't like it and it usually leads to a pretty poor relationship between the two sides from that point on.

howardj

International Coach
Because the batsman is entitled to anticipate that the ball is going to be bowled- as long as the batsman is not half way down the pitch, gaining a massive advantage.

Feigning to bowl constantly throughout the day just reduces the game to a farce.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think there's also the element of the batsman's back being turned which helps the perception it's contrary to the spirit of the game.

Mind you, taking off to run ridiculously early is also contrary to the spirit of the game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Would like to hear your view on this(3:22 Kapil-Peter Kirsten incident in SA) :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrmD8bVza0

Never seen Kapil Dev so angry, its just pure gold watching his emotions here.:laugh:
Dont like it at all. Its cheap and classless.

However, that was before the rule change so it was allowable.

Now the rule is far better where it cant be done in the delivery stride. This type of fakeout isnt allowed anymore and that is a good thing. Players can get on with the job of batting and bowling, yet the law still provided the chance to run out if the batsman is taking the piss by advancing during the bowlers runup.