• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Australian player since 1989

Who is Australia's greatest player since 1989?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good thing we had the poll to tell us that.
It won't always tell us that though will it? For all we know, had I not looked at the time I made that post, Nath's vote for Healy could've been the first.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Glenn McGrath, and its not close. Warne is more irreplaceable though due to the general difficulty of having a great spin bowler, but that doesn't make him a better player than Pidge.
Even if you think McGrath is a better bowler, he is not close as a batsman or fielder or leader.

I think we should add one for Warne on behalf of McGrath himself :D

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Leader of what?

McGrath lead the attack for a span of 11 seasons, 1996/97 to 2006/07.
LOL. Leader of the pace attack sure. But I'd say only a few years did he lead the whole attack.

And leader, I mean in the more general way. Being a captain without being the captain, so to say.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A seamer (pretty much invariably, the best seamer) leads the attack. Simple as. Yes, Chaminda Vaas leads Sri Lanka's attack (and has done for years) even though he's not (more often than not) the best bowler in it.

Spinners don't open the bowling.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
A seamer (pretty much invariably, the best seamer) leads the attack. Simple as. Yes, Chaminda Vaas leads Sri Lanka's attack (and has done for years) even though he's not (more often than not) the best bowler in it.

Er, no. I am talking about something different and your crooked 2 cents has nothing to do with it.

Warne, like Murali, has been the go-to guy for most of his career and that is what I mean when I talk about leader in terms of bowling.

This has nothing to do with what I meant with regards to leader originally, anyway.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If only bowling, I'd give it to McGrath over Warne by a distance so small it would change just by viewing it. Whole package, toss a coin between Steve Waugh and Warnie in my view. Ricky Ponting to shade them all by career's end.

Unfair in some ways, AB was well past his best post-'89. The others are all awesome players too. Disgraceful omission of Scott Muller too; philistines.

Burgey

Went with Warne, just, over McGrath. Largely on the strength of his batting and fielding, and also enjoyment factor in watching him play.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
On topic, went Warne. In the end, he was the go-to guy with the ball for the majority of his career, even when he wasn't bowling well, that was the pull he had over a game of cricket.

Burgey

If only bowling, I'd give it to McGrath over Warne by a distance so small it would change just by viewing it. Whole package, toss a coin between Steve Waugh and Warnie in my view. Ricky Ponting to shade them all by career's end.

Unfair in some ways, AB was well past his best post-'89. The others are all awesome players too. Disgraceful omission of Scott Muller too; philistines.
Joe the Cameraman - biggest patsy since Lee Harvey Oswald too k the rap for JFK when everyone knew Cancerman fromt eh X Files really took him out......

irfan

State Captain
Close between McGrath and Warne. Warne shades it for mine, because he was a great player both on and off (:naughty:) off the field.

Also LOL @ the irrelevant 11th option. If someone saw this poll and took it for face value, then it reads Casson >> Hayden, Gilly, Ponting, Taylor, Border, Healy & Boon.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I disagree with your definition of "leading the attack."

The leader of the attack is the bowler the captain turns to at crucial moments - the bowler the rest of the attack revolves around. It's usually the team's best bowler, but not always. Sometimes its the bowler with the coolest head or just the most experienced bowler. It's generally pretty obvious who it is though, and it was Warne in Australia's case.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I disagree with your definition of "leading the attack."

The leader of the attack is the bowler the captain turns to at crucial moments - the bowler the rest of the attack revolves around. It's usually the team's best bowler, but not always. Sometimes its the bowler with the coolest head or just the most experienced bowler. It's generally pretty obvious who it is though, and it was Warne in Australia's case.
I've always classified it as the premier seam-bowler. McDermott, for instance, was often classified as the leader of Australia's attack well into Warne's career. McGrath was very often the same throughout his career.

I'd generally term what you refer to as "the go-to bowler" if I had to term it anything.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Murali and Kumble lead their attacks, so no its not always the premier seam bowler at all. And no there isn't 'another rule' for India and Lanka. Its a universal rule that the leader of the attack is your go to bowler.

Between Warne and McGrath is almost impossible to pick, but going McGrath.

For anyone to think there's a large gap between the two, in either direction, is silly.