43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Virender Sehwag

13 30.23%
  • Vijay Merchant

30 69.77%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Popular demand poll: Opening partner of Gavaskar in India All Time XI

Popular demand poll: Opening partner of Gavaskar in India All Time XI

Since Gavaskar has won the other poll, vote for the person you think should partner him in the opening slot...The 2 choices are Vijay Merchant and Virender Sehwag...
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Merchant by so far it's untrue.

BTW, an early prediction is that not a few Sehwag fans on this forum won't have even heard of Merchant, and as even all the historically-informed posters won't neccessarily vote for him, Sehwag to win by a proverbial length of rope.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Merchant by so far it's untrue.

BTW, an early prediction is that not a few Sehwag fans on this forum won't have even heard of Merchant, and as even all the historically-informed posters won't neccessarily vote for him, Sehwag to win by a proverbial length of rope.
    I doubt the poll will be close...Very early prediction though (And don't forget the weekly award for prediction if this becomes true )...Anyways good to see you change your stand against these kind of polls and vote in one ...

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Haha, three votes to Merchant before Sehwag even gets one, at least maybe he won't be disgraced.

My stance on certain matters is strong enough to encourage me to vote. I'm less bothered about Kapil vs Nissar vs Amar Singh than I am about Merchant vs Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Haha, three votes to Merchant before Sehwag even gets one, at least maybe he won't be disgraced.
    It was 1 when I made the prediction...

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    For me, Merchant plays too few Tests to establish a reliable overall record. And he only played one opponent. I find rating players of the past like Merchant difficult.
    Last edited by Ikki; 19-06-2008 at 03:34 AM.
    ★★★★★

KickUps Champion!
    Most people who go on online cricket forums would've heard of Vijay Merchant.

Anyways I'll go for Merchent.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Merchant by so far its not even funny. It's like comparing Shahid Afridi to Brian Lara.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

ret
    On Merchant vs Sehwag

As most of us here, I don't know how good Merchant was. But looking at his stats, he looks like an awesome player

He played 10 tests b/w 1931-1952, of that 6 in Eng scoring 500+ runs at 47 and 4 in Ind scoring 300+ runs at 47 .... impressive record but i would like to know how much did other great batsmen average in that era and than make a comparison

Sehwag, clearly is one of the leaders in his generation .... can walk into most test 11 .... has 2 triples

having watched Sehwag, i feel that he can do almost everything Merchant probably did but I don't think Merchant could hit a triple in a day

right now, Sehwag has some 4800+ runs @ 51+ from 57 tests and if he continues with his good work for 25 more tests or so then i won't be surprised if he is hailed as the best all-time opener for India

if i were voting then I would go for Sehwag
    Last edited by ret; 19-06-2008 at 08:29 AM.
    Fastest gun in town

Quote Originally Posted by ret View Post
    right now, Sehwag has some 4800+ runs @ 51+ from 57 tests and if he continues with his good work for 25 more tests or so then i won't be surprised if he is hailed as the best all-time opener for India
    No, he won't. Even if he goes for 50 Tests.

ret
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    No, he won't. Even if he goes for 50 Tests.
    'IF' he goes around like this for another 25-30 tests, he will

'IF' he goes around like this for another 25-30 tests, he will
    He could play 200 Tests, and I'm telling you he won't. Unless he completely becomes another player.

ret
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    He could play 200 Tests, and I'm telling you he won't. Unless he completely becomes another player.
    let's say after playing 85 tests, Sehwag has 7000+ runs w/ 20+ 100s .... thats good enough to make him in all-time great opener for India

it doesn't matter how he plays as long as he is getting runs .... why should anyone be worried if he scores a boundary with a slog or a technically perfect drive .... he doesn't have to score runs on the basis of how ppl in the crowd think they should be scored

btw, some of the votes that i see in the poll for Merchant are from ppl who have voted against Sehwag on different threads

let's say after playing 85 tests, Sehwag has 7000+ runs w/ 20+ 100s .... thats good enough to make him in all-time great opener for India

it doesn't matter how he plays as long as he is getting runs .... why should anyone be worried if he scores a boundary with a slog or a technically perfect drive .... he doesn't have to score runs on the basis of how ppl in the crowd think they should be scored
    No, but he has to score runs when the pitch doesn't resemble a highway. And second innings - my God, find a damn run in the second innings.

First Class Debutant
    Vijay Merchant .Once again the same old thing how things have changed over the years .How a particular one would have done in this era .

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information