• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Popular demand poll: Opening partner of Gavaskar in India All Time XI

Choose opening partner of Gavaskar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Since Gavaskar has won the other poll, vote for the person you think should partner him in the opening slot...The 2 choices are Vijay Merchant and Virender Sehwag...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Merchant by so far it's untrue.

BTW, an early prediction is that not a few Sehwag fans on this forum won't have even heard of Merchant, and as even all the historically-informed posters won't neccessarily vote for him, Sehwag to win by a proverbial length of rope.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Merchant by so far it's untrue.

BTW, an early prediction is that not a few Sehwag fans on this forum won't have even heard of Merchant, and as even all the historically-informed posters won't neccessarily vote for him, Sehwag to win by a proverbial length of rope.
I doubt the poll will be close...Very early prediction though (And don't forget the weekly award for prediction if this becomes true:) )...Anyways good to see you change your stand against these kind of polls and vote in one :) ...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, three votes to Merchant before Sehwag even gets one, at least maybe he won't be disgraced.

My stance on certain matters is strong enough to encourage me to vote. I'm less bothered about Kapil vs Nissar vs Amar Singh than I am about Merchant vs Sehwag.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
For me, Merchant plays too few Tests to establish a reliable overall record. And he only played one opponent. I find rating players of the past like Merchant difficult.

Last edited:

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Most people who go on online cricket forums would've heard of Vijay Merchant.

Anyways I'll go for Merchent.

ret

International Debutant
On Merchant vs Sehwag

As most of us here, I don't know how good Merchant was. But looking at his stats, he looks like an awesome player

He played 10 tests b/w 1931-1952, of that 6 in Eng scoring 500+ runs at 47 and 4 in Ind scoring 300+ runs at 47 .... impressive record but i would like to know how much did other great batsmen average in that era and than make a comparison

Sehwag, clearly is one of the leaders in his generation .... can walk into most test 11 .... has 2 triples

having watched Sehwag, i feel that he can do almost everything Merchant probably did but I don't think Merchant could hit a triple in a day

right now, Sehwag has some 4800+ runs @ 51+ from 57 tests and if he continues with his good work for 25 more tests or so then i won't be surprised if he is hailed as the best all-time opener for India :thumbsup:

if i were voting then I would go for Sehwag

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
right now, Sehwag has some 4800+ runs @ 51+ from 57 tests and if he continues with his good work for 25 more tests or so then i won't be surprised if he is hailed as the best all-time opener for India :thumbsup:
No, he won't. Even if he goes for 50 Tests.

ret

International Debutant
He could play 200 Tests, and I'm telling you he won't. Unless he completely becomes another player.
let's say after playing 85 tests, Sehwag has 7000+ runs w/ 20+ 100s .... thats good enough to make him in all-time great opener for India

it doesn't matter how he plays as long as he is getting runs .... why should anyone be worried if he scores a boundary with a slog or a technically perfect drive .... he doesn't have to score runs on the basis of how ppl in the crowd think they should be scored

btw, some of the votes that i see in the poll for Merchant are from ppl who have voted against Sehwag on different threads :p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
let's say after playing 85 tests, Sehwag has 7000+ runs w/ 20+ 100s .... thats good enough to make him in all-time great opener for India

it doesn't matter how he plays as long as he is getting runs .... why should anyone be worried if he scores a boundary with a slog or a technically perfect drive .... he doesn't have to score runs on the basis of how ppl in the crowd think they should be scored
No, but he has to score runs when the pitch doesn't resemble a highway. And second innings - my God, find a damn run in the second innings.

funnygirl

State Regular
Vijay Merchant .Once again the same old thing how things have changed over the years .How a particular one would have done in this era .:blink:

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
Merchant played 10 tests, how on earth can he be based on that? His FC record is unbelievable, but Sehwag has clearly accomplished more in the test arena, it has to be him for mine.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cricket has not always been the same game. It's not as simple as "accomplished little in Tests so not that good" where cricket in the 1930s is concerned.

ret

International Debutant
No, but he has to score runs when the pitch doesn't resemble a highway. And second innings - my God, find a damn run in the second innings.
150 odd at Adelaide is good enough .... not a highway and batting in 4th inning

i don't know why it should worry ppl, if Sehwag has a better Ist inning record? As long as he is scoring runs in a test, thats fine

and i guess you voted for Merchant probably coz you never had a chance to see him play and thus form castles in the air by visualizing what you read abt him somewhere from ppl who never had a chance to see Sehwag!!! .... have you voted for Merchant just coz you never had a chance to analyze his batting? if you have analyzed his batting kindly show us why he should be opening in an all-time Ind X1

IS Merchant good coz he averages 47 in 10 tests!! And may be because he has a good FC record .... Shastri too has 1000+ runs @ 45 when opening for Ind and he has a good FC record too, why not him then as the partner to Gavaskar

However you look at it, Sehwag gets a place in the all-time X1, along with Gavaskar .... and as i said, if he is able to score 7000+ runs with 20 or more 100s by the time he has played 85 tests than it would be Sehwag as the best Ind all-time opener with Gavaskar and Merchant or whoever fighting for a place to partner Sehwag

ideally, thats how i would want that to go because I don't believe in leaving in the past and comforting myself how good things were in the past, along with old being the gold

if someone like Sehwag doesn't surpass Gavaskar then I would be upset as it would show little progress in terms of talent coming up in India

you don't want McLaren F1 to be the best sports car despite it being the best. you would want an Enzo to be built to take that title and in future something else taking that title. if F1 were to be the greatest sports car ever built than there is something wrong with the progress the auto industry is making .... similar is the case in cricket, if old remains the gold then there is something wrong with the talent coming through in Ind