• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Popular demand poll: Opening partner of Gavaskar in India All Time XI

Choose opening partner of Gavaskar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
150 odd at Adelaide is good enough .... not a highway and batting in 4th inning

i don't know why it should worry ppl, if Sehwag has a better Ist inning record? As long as he is scoring runs in a test, thats fine

and i guess you voted for Merchant probably coz you never had a chance to see him play and thus form castles in the air by visualizing what you read abt him somewhere from ppl who never had a chance to see Sehwag!!! .... have you voted for Merchant just coz you never had a chance to analyze his batting? if you have analyzed his batting kindly show us why he should be opening in an all-time Ind X1

IS Merchant good coz he averages 47 in 10 tests!! And may be because he has a good FC record .... Shastri too has 1000+ runs @ 45 when opening for Ind and he has a good FC record too, why not him then as the partner to Gavaskar

However you look at it, Sehwag gets a place in the all-time X1, along with Gavaskar .... and as i said, if he is able to score 7000+ runs with 20 or more 100s by the time he has played 85 tests than it would be Sehwag as the best Ind all-time opener with Gavaskar and Merchant or whoever fighting for a place to partner Sehwag

ideally, thats how i would want that to go because I don't believe in leaving in the past and comforting myself how good things were in the past, along with old being the gold

if someone like Sehwag doesn't surpass Gavaskar then I would be upset as it would show little progress in terms of talent coming up in India

you don't want McLaren F1 to be the best sports car despite it being the best. you would want an Enzo to be built to take that title and in future something else taking that title. if F1 were to be the greatest sports car ever built than there is something wrong with the progress the auto industry is making .... similar is the case in cricket, if old remains the gold then there is something wrong with the talent coming through in Ind
Is the above a joke of some kind ? Merchant was one of India's finest batsman and Sehwag isn't a patch on him no matter what he does. Yeah I have not watched him, but have heard from those who watched and read about how good he was from the best of his era. And his record as a batsman confirms that.

Merchant's record as an opener is better than Sehwag's. First class record miles better.

ret

International Debutant
Is the above a joke of some kind ? Merchant was one of India's finest batsman and Sehwag isn't a patch on him no matter what he does. Yeah I have not watched him, but have heard from those who watched and read about how good he was from the best of his era. And his record as a batsman confirms that.

Merchant's record as an opener is better than Sehwag's. First class record miles better.
show us how? .... coz Merchant > Sehwag appears more like a joke to me based on what little most ppl know abt Merchant and how much they have analyzed Sehwag

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
if someone like Sehwag doesn't surpass Gavaskar then I would be upset as it would show little progress in terms of talent coming up in India
Yeah look at Australia, no one has been able to pass Sir Don. It must make the Aussies very upset as they are still stuck in the history. It really shows the lack of progress in terms of talent that has come out of Australia since Bradman.

What's more upsetting is the fact that there isn't any real chance of anyone ever doing better than Sir Don. Tough Luck Aussies, you are not going to make any progress ever.

ret

International Debutant
Yeah look at Australia, no one has been able to pass Sir Don. It must make the Aussies very upset as they are still stuck in the history. It really shows the lack of progress in terms of talent that has come out of Australia since Bradman.

What's more upsetting is the fact that there isn't any real chance of anyone ever doing better than Sir Don. Tough Luck Aussies, you are not going to make any progress ever.
WoW .... so Gavaskar is like Sir Don Bradman .... nice analogy 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If someone like Sehwag doesn't surpass Gavaskar, it would show me that cricket hasn't degenerated enough so that someone like Sehwag could actually surpass Gavaskar. I have no problem with people being better than Gavaskar, but Sehwag is not that person. And he is really nowhere close to being that person.

ret

International Debutant
If someone like Sehwag doesn't surpass Gavaskar, it would show me that cricket hasn't degenerated enough so that someone like Sehwag could actually surpass Gavaskar. I have no problem with people being better than Gavaskar, but Sehwag is not that person. And he is really nowhere close to being that person.
you are entitled to your opinion but the Gavaskar himself rates Sehwag highly

http://in.rediff.com/cricket/2006/jun/12gav.htm

http://archive.gulfnews.com/indepth/ipl/more_stories/10207429.html

ret

International Debutant
Bradman rated McCabe highly too. Doesn't mean they were even on the same plane.
the point here is that Sehwag is not as bad as he is made out to be .... ppl who have played cricket a lot rate him very highly

on Sehwag and Gavaskar being on the same plane .... well, the condition is already laid out which is after playing 85 tests, if Sehwag has 7000 or more runs w/ 20 or more 100s then he would be in the contention for the title of best ever opener for Ind, a title that Gavaskar holds NOW, undisputedly

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
the point here is that Sehwag is not as bad as he is made out to be .... ppl who have played cricket a lot rate him very highly
And "ppl" who haven't played cricket a lot rate him very highly too. And there are "ppl" who have and haven't that don't as well - plenty of them. It's a meaningless facet.
on Sehwag and Gavaskar being on the same plane .... well, the condition is already laid out which is after playing 85 tests, if Sehwag has 7000 or more runs w/ 20 or more 100s then he would be in the contention for the title of best ever opener for Ind, a title that Gavaskar holds NOW, undisputedly
Number of runs and centuries means near enough sod-all, anyone will get them if they play enough - it's circumstances that count.

ret

International Debutant
And "ppl" who haven't played cricket a lot rate him very highly too. And there are "ppl" who have and haven't that don't as well - plenty of them. It's a meaningless facet.
so i would focus on how someone like Gavaskar rates Sehwag than a Richard .... thats what it means .... and saying that someone likes Gavaskar rates Sehwag highly lends creditably to the PoV of those who rate Sehwag highly than those who don't

Number of runs and centuries means near enough sod-all, anyone will get them if they play enough - it's circumstances that count.
and you need to be good 'enough' to play 'enough'

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
so i would focus on how someone like Gavaskar rates Sehwag than a Richard .... thats what it means .... and saying that someone likes Gavaskar rates Sehwag highly lends creditably to the PoV of those who Sehwag is rated highly
Not really. Having played doesn't neccessarily mean you have any clue as to who's good. Analytical ability and playing ability are two completely separate things. Someone who's played can be no better than someone who hasn't (and, indeed, far, far worse).
and you need to be good 'enough' to play 'enough'
Well, no, you need to be success. Success breeds continued selection. Sehwag mostly wouldn't be good enough to open the batting in Tests for very long, but he has been at the time he's played, because circumstances have conspired in his favour - and not just an abnormally large number of dropped catches.

ret

International Debutant
Not really. Having played doesn't neccessarily mean you have any clue as to who's good. Analytical ability and playing ability are two completely separate things. Someone who's played can be no better than someone who hasn't (and, indeed, far, far worse).
we are talking abt someone like Gavaskar who played cricket and who analyzes cricket .... and i do agree with the later part that someone who hasn't played cricket can be good too, an example of that is probably 'yours truly'

Well, no, you need to be success. Success breeds continued selection. Sehwag mostly wouldn't be good enough to open the batting in Tests for very long, but he has been at the time he's played, because circumstances have conspired in his favour - and not just an abnormally large number of dropped catches.
but thats why we have numbers that goes with the test played .... If Sehwag were to be played on his past merit for say his 85th test and if he isn't that good then he probably won't have 7000 runs .... if he has around 7000 runs then he is playing well

and you can go on and on on catches, i have answered that in Smith vs Sehwag thread .... how are you going to calculate Merchant's [whom you are supporting] first chance average? dropped catches, poor fielding sides, close LBWs not given, luxury of not having the 3rd umpire in matters of close run-out calls where benefit goes to the batsman and all

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
we are talking abt someone like Gavaskar who played cricket and who analyzes cricket .... and i do agree with the later part that someone who hasn't played cricket can be good too, an example of that is probably 'yours truly'
Gavaskar's ideas aren't automatically more worthy than someone else's just because he's played cricket well.
but thats why we have numbers that goes with the test played .... If Sehwag were to be played on his past merit for say his 85th test and if he isn't that good then he probably won't have 7000 runs .... if he has around 7000 runs then he is playing well
He's playing well enough to stay in the side. But whether he's playing well enough to match those who have excelled in far more difficult circumstances is another matter.
and you can go on and on on catches, i have answered that in Smith vs Sehwag thread .... how are you going to calculate Merchant's [whom you are supporting] first chance average? dropped catches, poor fielding sides, close LBWs not given, luxury of not having the 3rd umpire in matters of close run-out calls where benefit goes to the batsman and all
If I find some Merchant let-offs I'll calculate his first-chance average. However, Sehwag as I've said many times tends to have amounts of luck far beyond the norm, and unless one knows for certain of the fact that someone else has, I generally tend to treat them

In Merchant's day, BTW, dropped catches were almost certainly generally rarer than they have been more recently. We'll never really know whether Umpiring mistakes were more or less frequent as there isn't any data to analyse such a thing. We do know though that the lbw law was much easier to implement in Merchant's day - except in extraordinary circumstances, not-out was the correct decision. And a missed nick or glove has always been a rare thing. As for run-outs - almost all Test batsmen have virtually no problem with run-outs, and this was more true still until recently when going for dicey runs has become more frequent. Some batsmen go through entire Test careers without looking like being run-out.

JBH001

International Regular
Tough choice, when you think about it. Merchant for all his undoubted class did only play 10 tests, and Sehwag has gotten better I think (I never used to rate him but have had recent cause to revise that opinion somewhat - he looks tighter and more focussed these days).

However, I think I will go for Merchant. A classier bat and also indulging my opening bat preference for stylists and purists.

ret

International Debutant
Gavaskar's ideas aren't automatically more worthy than someone else's just because he's played cricket well.
yes, but they do carry some weight-age

He's playing well enough to stay in the side. But whether he's playing well enough to match those who have excelled in far more difficult circumstances is another matter.
Gavaskar has 81 runs per tests, right now Sehwag has more than 84 runs per test .... if Sehwag were to hit 7000 by his 85th test then it would 82 runs per tests .... 7000 runs in 85 tests is a pretty good account by any standards

If I find some Merchant let-offs I'll calculate his first-chance average. However, Sehwag as I've said many times tends to have amounts of luck far beyond the norm, and unless one knows for certain of the fact that someone else has, I generally tend to treat them

In Merchant's day, BTW, dropped catches were almost certainly generally rarer than they have been more recently. We'll never really know whether Umpiring mistakes were more or less frequent as there isn't any data to analyse such a thing. We do know though that the lbw law was much easier to implement in Merchant's day - except in extraordinary circumstances, not-out was the correct decision. And a missed nick or glove has always been a rare thing. As for run-outs - almost all Test batsmen have virtually no problem with run-outs, and this was more true still until recently when going for dicey runs has become more frequent. Some batsmen go through entire Test careers without looking like being run-out.
so what you are basically telling me is that you can calculate the first chance average of ONLY Sehwag :p

you shouldn't be bringing this up unless you can calculate that accurately for all parties in the poll

adharcric

International Coach
BTW, an early prediction is that not a few Sehwag fans on this forum won't have even heard of Merchant, and as even all the historically-informed posters won't neccessarily vote for him, Sehwag to win by a proverbial length of rope.
Looks like the average CWite is more historically-informed than you thought. :no:

ret

International Debutant
usually, guys who rated Merchant higher than Sehwag would also rate Dravid very highly

now Dravid has probably played in most of the games that Sehwag has played ..... they both have scored runs in just abt every game that they played but someone Dravid runs are more valued than Sehwag's

And when we take runs per tests, Sehwag scores over Dravid

Now it would be interesting to see whom ppl would vote for in Merchant vs Dravid for example .... coz of what said against Sehwag's runs, some of it could go against Dravid too

adharcric

International Coach
usually, guys who rated Merchant higher than Sehwag would also rate Dravid very highly

now Dravid has probably played in most of the games that Sehwag has played ..... they both have scored runs in just abt every game that they played but someone Dravid runs are more valued than Sehwag's

Now it would be interesting to see whom ppl would vote for in Merchant vs Dravid for example .... coz of what said against Sehwag's runs, some of it could go against Dravid too
Very little, yeah. Please don't put those two in the same category.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Haha, Dravid and Sehwag. :laugh: