• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim Akram Retires From International Cricket!

wasims_fan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
FROM CRICINFO:

Wasim Akram has announced that he is retiring from international cricket with immediate effect.

Wasim said that it was time to look to life after cricket. "My future is somewhere else after September," he told Sky Sports's Charles Colville. "Maybe I will be working in television or coaching. There are no regrets. There have been ups and downs but I would not have changed it for anything else."

Wasim had suggested that he was ready to quit several times in recent months, but the bitter disappointment of the World Cup proved to be a tournament too far. He was subsequently dropped for April's Sharjah Cup and was also omitted from the Pakistan squad for the current Bank Alfalah Cup triangular series. At 36, and with Pakistan publicly looking to build for the future, it was unlikely whether Wasim would have been able to force his way back into the side anyway.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tribute and much respect to the greatest left-arm bowler and one of the all greatest cricketers of this wonderful game of cricket. I wish the best for him in whatever he resolves to pursue.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Wasim Akram is the greatest left arm fast bowler in history, it is unfortunate that he does not go out in a big-match, Pakistan should give him the chance to do so considering what he has given them over the years, I wished I could see him play against the Indians one more time along with Saeed Anwar and Aamair Sohail and of course Waqar Younis.....Good luck in his future life, he deserves a lot of respect, for now it is goodbye time.
With this decision, don't think Waqar will stay on for that much longer.

A great great fast bowler he was indeed!!

And now its time for Nehra to take over the world's best left arm pacer mantle from Akram:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Isn't Zaheer a better bowler than Nehra though, I know which of the 2 I'd pick if it were a straight choice!

On the subject of Waqar, he's rumoured to be heading to Warwickshire.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say so because Shane Bond will probably miss the first couple of weeks of his contract at Warwickshire but its looking likely he will at least make a decent appearance.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Doesn't AA bowl a bit of Left Arm? ... hes gay

Respect to the man more than 500 international wickets only person to achieve that feat , he is a great left arm fast bowler , total dedication and commitment , he will be respected in the years to follow..good luck to a great servant for pakistan

marc71178 said:
Isn't Zaheer a better bowler than Nehra though, I know which of the 2 I'd pick if it were a straight choice!

On the subject of Waqar, he's rumoured to be heading to Warwickshire.

My personal opinion is that Nehra has the better temperament (b/w the two) though there is no denying a fact that Khan is a superb find for India.Basicaly i think both these bowlers will do for India what the Waseem/Waqar used to do for Pak in comming years.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
One of the most talented cricketers that I ever saw play (ofcourse I never saw Sobers or Bradman), and he should have done more with his talent, as a bowler and a batsman.

As a bowler since the departure of Imran, he had become too obsessed with short pitched bowling, if he had bowled fuller, Waqar might have got less wickets and Wasim even more.

Also, one of my favorite deliveries of all time was also bowled by Wasimin WC92 final to Allan Lamb, just impossible what he did, coming in round the wicket, made the ball move from leg to off.

He really should have done more with his talent I think.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO, definitely the best leftie pacer of my lifetime.

Sobers had the edge as overall cricketer over Wasim (after all, the only thing GSS didn't do was keep wicket to his own bowling), but I think that, in his pomp, Wasim would have made any team for any country in any age.

Isam

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Left Handed Maestro

Wasim Akram is on a hattrick....
remember the Ritchie Benaud commentary on the 1992 World Cup final.
That is Wasim for me, the magician.

anzac

International Debutant
was one of two bowlers I always enjoyed watching at their craft (the other being Hadlee) - both had smarts as well as talent.

I'm more disappointed that his later career has been somewhat overshadowed by in team politics and infighting, rather than concentrating on the cricket.

:)