• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2 innings ODIs?

Should ODI's be split into 2 innings.

• Total voters

LA ICE-E

State Captain
ok so it's gonna be tried in county cricket with pro40. I kind of like the idea because that eliminates the "boring 20-40" thing.

But instead of it being 40 overs and being like 2 20/20's added together, I would like it to be like 25 overs per innings with 2 sets of 5 overs of powerplay per innings and the 1st 5 overs is mandatory powerplay of each innings and the other 5 is chosen by the captains.

I think this will eventually replace odi's, what you guys think?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its probably how it should have been done in the begininng. Prevents massive blowout wins as the game is broken down into sections. Helps extend games for TV scheduling.

However, now its further faffing on a format that cant be left alone. Id love to see the number of changes introduced in OD cricket to try and jazz it up. There hasnt been a year without meddling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure whether it is yet going to be done in this country - the overwhelmingly preferable option for most people is to simply get rid of the Pro40 nonsense entirely.

Two-innings limited-overs cricket is yet another thing that garners roughly zero interest for me.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Not sure whether it is yet going to be done in this country - the overwhelmingly preferable option for most people is to simply get rid of the Pro40 nonsense entirely.

Two-innings limited-overs cricket is yet another thing that garners roughly zero interest for me.
Yeah I read it is going to be done this year.You don't like 20/20, and you don't like this, but if odi was like this from the beginning I doubt you'd have 0 interest in it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah I read it is going to be done this year.
No, you read it was proposed. Unless you've read something I haven't, you haven't read that it's confirmed.
You don't like 20/20, and you don't like this, but if odi was like this from the beginning I doubt you'd have 0 interest in it.
Maybe. But that isn't the way it's happened.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually don't think this idea is horrible. You'd have to split it into two innings of 25 - not 20 - for it to be of any real use though as 40 overs matches have always been fairly dire as far as I'm concerned. I'm also assuming that the innings would continue after the split; I certainly hope you're not talking about two totally separate innings where the openers go back out.

There are certainly some advantages. it'd nullify the effect of a toss and potentially keep games "live" for a bit longer as well as ending complete blowouts a little quicker.

The main issue I have with it is the disadvantage the batsmen not out "across innings" would face. I suppose we see the same thing across session breaks in Tests though, and it's just viewed as part of the game, so I'm not sure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I actually don't think this idea is horrible. You'd have to split it into two innings of 25 - not 20 - for it to be of any real use though as 40 overs matches have always been fairly dire as far as I'm concerned. I'm also assuming that the innings would continue after the split; I certainly hope you're not talking about two totally separate innings where the openers go back out.
Nah, think the idea is you've 20 wickets accross 50 overs. Shocking idea.

LA ICE-E

State Captain

There are certainly some advantages. it'd nullify the effect of a toss and potentially keep games "live" for a bit longer as well as ending complete blowouts a little quicker.

The main issue I have with it is the disadvantage the batsmen not out "across innings" would face. I suppose we see the same thing across session breaks in Tests though, and it's just viewed as part of the game, so I'm not sure.
Yeah i wouldn't want it to be 40 overs, and I'm pretty sure it's not 2 separate innings then it would just be a 20/20 double header.

I don't see that as a disadvantage because it already happens when a teams bowled out early then the 2nd innings is started and then broken up while they go to lunch and then they resume again.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah, think the idea is you've 20 wickets accross 50 overs. Shocking idea.
If that's the case then I'm strongly against it. It'd basically be one rather drawn out Twenty20 game. It'd honestly rather watch a Twenty20 double header with my time than a game like that.

I think an innings resumption system has merit, but I'd still rather even it wasn't implemented.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, I prefer seeing application with aggression. Being able to bat the 50 overs with wicekts in hand to ensure a competitive total is what its all about.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Nah, I prefer seeing application with aggression. Being able to bat the 50 overs with wicekts in hand to ensure a competitive total is what its all about.
you can still do that if it was split in half plus you get to see what kind of score you need based on the score the other team got the 1st innings(split w/e you wanna call it)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
you can still do that if it was split in half plus you get to see what kind of score you need based on the score the other team got the 1st innings(split w/e you wanna call it)
Would have been interesting though [Not if the concept of 20 wickets is there as Richards suggested]...But not at the cost of ODIs that I grew up watching all through my childhood and youth...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Would have been interesting though [Not if the concept of 20 wickets is there as Richards suggested]...But not at the cost of ODIs that I grew up watching all through my childhood and youth...
but that might be the one that can save ODI's