• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the man that is steve

osman

Cricket Web Staff Member
hey all
just watched the aus-wi game last night. its funny how steve waugh has become this complete authority on the game. he has sussed out pretty much every team in world cricket completely. he's been saying for a while now how the windies are an upcoming team and i reckon he saw the mental resolve of players like sarwan and gayle and made that comment. in any case he was spot on. he said last year when ne was in a similar situation against pakistan in sharjah that pakistan were essentially on the way down and that the youngsters didnt really have the resolve and he was right again...
anyhow my favourite topic at the moment is sarwan...this guy can really bat but he seems to be becoming the best non-finisher in the one-day game i.e bevan can actually finish and win the game whereas sarwan...well he'll get pretty close and play well but then lose.
oh just realised he hit a four of last ball against india last year...there goes that theory!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know how cricketers march out to a favourite piece of music in the National League (well ok, most walk out to 'eye of the tiger') - if Sarwan comes over here, will he walk out to Mahler's 'Unfinished Symphony' or Schubert's one?

Bit too early for classical music gags, I suppose

Legglancer

State Regular
luckyeddie said:
You know how cricketers march out to a favourite piece of music in the National League (well ok, most walk out to 'eye of the tiger') - if Sarwan comes over here, will he walk out to Mahler's 'Unfinished Symphony' or Schubert's one?

Bit too early for classical music gags, I suppose
Not really ... I quite appreciate Schubert's compositions, especially his "Impromptu in A flat minor". Havent heard the "unfinished symphony " though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Sarwan should be batting at 3. He is capable of scoring big runs on a regular basis and, at the moment, I think we'll all agree that he is the WI best ODI player. Doesn't every team want the best player to face as many ball as possible? He can be an even more valuable asset if he bats higher, because he is capable of batting through most of the innings. Chanderpaul can be our finisher.

krkode

State Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think Sarwan should be batting at 3. He is capable of scoring big runs on a regular basis and, at the moment, I think we'll all agree that he is the WI best ODI player. Doesn't every team want the best player to face as many ball as possible? He can be an even more valuable asset if he bats higher, because he is capable of batting through most of the innings. Chanderpaul can be our finisher.
I agree. It seems a waste of talent to have such a good batsman bat for so little time.

I have the same feeling about Yuvraj Singh. I think he's too good to be left out to come at 6 or 7.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
krkode said:
I have the same feeling about Yuvraj Singh. I think he's too good to be left out to come at 6 or 7.
Agreed. Yuvraj has really impressed me of late. When he first started out, I didn't think much of him but his batting has matured exceptionally in the last year.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Sarwan is one of my favourite cricketers at the moment. Since the first game of the world cup, i thought he batted brilliantly. He has fantastic balance. I remember one shot particularly well- he charged and hit a six back over the bowlers head and held his position- he was completely balanced and anchored when he hammered the ball and he stayed that way. Very rare to see that.