Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: was cricket more fun in the 90's?

Banned

was cricket more fun in the 90's?

Was cricket more fun to watch in the 90's???

I really miss the battles between India and Pakistan. I remember every game use to be so important, that no body went to work during a India/Pakistan game. These days that kind of love for game is gone

'cause i read somewhere they weren't allowed to play each other for a while or something like that for political reasons and it didn't happen so often like it does now.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mard View Post
    Was cricket more fun to watch in the 90's???

I really miss the battles between India and Pakistan. I remember every game use to be so important, that no body went to work during a India/Pakistan game. These days that kind of love for game is gone
    India and Pakistan played only three Test matches during the entire decade of 1990s. And India were very **** throughout the nineties everywhere except home turf - so I'd say it wasn't as fun for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Nah, though equally I don't think cricket is categorically more fun nowadays either.

People say so because everything is generally seen as 'better back in the day', its only natural to think that. Nostalgia sometimes takes over what is the actual truth.

There were many good things about the 90s that are better nowadays, but equally some things are lacking.

I do think categorically that the elite bowlers of the 90s were better to watch than the last few years, well fast bowlers at least, so you can argue yes, and cricket probably wasn't as one-sided as its been whenever Australia played someone from 2001-2007 or so, but as I alluded to, you generally look back fondly about the good things of the past, but conveniently forget what was ****.

For AFL fans, I've often been one to say footy was better in the 90s, but I'm not so sure anymore. Like cricket, there are aspects that I miss (one on one footy, less flooding, actual contact allowed), but there are some aspects which I absolutely love of modern football (speed, half-backs running forward, better athletes).
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Yes, I enjoyed cricket far more in the 1990s than any time since 2001. Doesn't mean the post-2001 stuff has been non-essential-viewing, all the same.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    People say so because everything is generally seen as 'better back in the day', its only natural to think that. Nostalgia sometimes takes over what is the actual truth.
    Never really agreed with that TBH. I've always been careful to separate the good memories from the good happenings. Obviously sometimes there's overlap.

I look back at much of the stuff 1991-1996 (the time I lived in the place I've always felt I was happiest in and wish we'd never left - pretty much nothing with anything to do with cricket) and there's barely a thing I look back upon without fondness. The good stuff (and there was plenty of it) remains wonderful to recall, and most of the memories of bad stuff seem "good" in their own way, because they're all part of the package, and none of it can hurt me any more.

"Better-back-in-the-day"-ism is something I despise. It basically implies that people can't think for themselves and allow the sands of time to obscure realities. I realise how things were, and of course there's bad stuff in there. But to recall it fondly isn't to forget that it was bad at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    India and Pakistan played only three Test matches during the entire decade of 1990s. And India were very **** throughout the nineties everywhere except home turf - so I'd say it wasn't as fun for me.
    And that one series in 90s was million times better than all India-Pak series played since. The Guy(sorry his nick is bit awkward to use is right, India-Pak games in 90s were a lot more fun, competitive and much more worth of your time and money.

Now-a-days India-Pak matches are worse than India-NZ.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    And that one series in 90s was million times better than all India-Pak series played since.
    That indeed was an epic series. But one series is not enough to make a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Never really agreed with that TBH. I've always been careful to separate the good memories from the good happenings. Obviously sometimes there's overlap.
    You're always an exception though Richard.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Tbh everything that happens when you were younger seems better than anything going on currently. Well, most things anyway, certainly anything sport related.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Tbh everything that happens when you were younger seems better than anything going on currently. Well, most things anyway, certainly anything sport related.
    Yeah exactly.

I think the return of Gladiators here in Australia is an extremely good example. There's seriously no argument that it was actually much better in the 90s, I've looked up/seen clips, and it was pretty much similar. Yes the 2008 version is missing a large black man with dreadlocks (Vulcan ftw), but still, things are just generally better when you were younger/when it was a while ago.

I generally think you'd have a 80-90% 'yes' answer rate if you went around asking 40-50 year olds "Was cricket better in the 70s and 80s". That's just opinion of course based on experience of this issue in general, but I'm fairly confident. I bet if I asked my parents was TV better in the 80s, they'd definitely say yes.

Now sometimes in some things, sports, entertainment, movies etc. they were actually better, but not to the extent people suggest when looking back fondly.

IMO, just as there is a danger of teens/youths believing that whatever is happening in their time is automatically better (Warne best bowler ever, Tendulkar/Ponting best batsman, Judd best player ever, Geelong greatest AFL team ever, New England Patriots greatest NFL team ever etc.), there's also a danger of immediately overrating things from the past.
    Last edited by Jono; 17-06-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Yeah exactly.

I think the return of Gladiators here in Australia is an extremely good example. There's seriously no argument that it was actually much better in the 90s, I've looked up/seen clips, and it was pretty much similar. Yes the 2008 version is missing a large black man with dreadlocks (Vulcan ftw), but still, things are just generally better when you were younger/when it was a while ago.

I generally think you'd have a 80-90% 'yes' answer rate if you went around asking 40-50 year olds "Was cricket better in the 70s and 80s". That's just opinion of course based on experience of this issue in general, but I'm fairly confident. I bet if I asked my parents was TV better in the 80s, they'd definitely say yes.

Now sometimes in some things, sports, entertainment, movies etc. they were actually better, but not to the extent people suggest when looking back fondly.

IMO, just as there is a danger of teens/youths believing that whatever is happening in their time is automatically better (Warne best bowler ever, Tendulkar/Ponting best batsman, Judd best player ever, Geelong greatest AFL team ever, New England Patriots greatest NFL team ever etc.), there's also a danger of immediately overrating things from the past.

Haha they relaunched Gladiators over there as well eh?

For me personally almost every sport/film/tv show or whatever from the mid 90s up till about 2003 is better than anything since, but yet there is no logical explanation for that, as all of those examples have come a long way since the 90s in terms of quality and style etc... I guess its just down to nostalgia in most cases, though I maintain that pro wrestling in general WAS in fact better about 10 years ago than it is now, don't think i'd find many who would dispute that either.

Cena, John.

Batista, Dave.

Levesque, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I maintain that pro wrestling in general WAS in fact better about 10 years ago than it is now, don't think i'd find many who would dispute that either.
    Yeah that's indisputable really.

*plugs in tape of Bret Hart vs. Mr Perfect*

Yeah that's indisputable really.

*plugs in tape of Bret Hart vs. Mr Perfect*

Have you seen the Bret vs 1-2-3 kid match? that was pretty good I thought, one of his less well known about matches.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information