• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

was cricket more fun in the 90's?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
New Zealand between about 1993/94 and 1996/97 were truly awful though.

Still, they managed to almost beat England in a Test in 1994 on a rare occasion when the pieces all fell into place.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At least with some of the players around in the first half of 2008 we don't yet know whether they might go on to become good-'uns, which the likes of Watson, Loveridge, Walmsley, Haslam, Davis (due apologies obv.), Owens, Hartland, Su'a, Kennedy, Allott, Vaughan, Spearman, Harris, de Groen, Blain, Twose, Pringle, Murray, Larsen, Pocock, Germon, Patel, Hart, Thomson, Greatbatch and Rutherford did not. Though Twose and Larsen were NZ's respectively best ODI batsman and bowler of the post-1990 ODI period

Flem274*

123/5
At least with some of the players around in the first half of 2008 we don't yet know whether they might go on to become good-'uns, which the likes of Watson, Loveridge, Walmsley, Haslam, Davis (due apologies obv.), Owens, Hartland, Su'a, Kennedy, Allott, Vaughan, Spearman, Harris, de Groen, Blain, Twose, Pringle, Murray, Larsen, Pocock, Germon, Patel, Hart, Thomson, Greatbatch and Rutherford did not. Though Twose and Larsen were NZ's respectively best ODI batsman and bowler of the post-1990 ODI period
Heath had an average of 29. Not bad.

Christ, some of them should have succeeded too. They had the ability.

Most, however, sucked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Greatbatch, Rutherford (especially) and Allott I quite liked the look of (or like the sound of what I've heard of at least). Harris too never got a fair crack of t'whip.

The rest though were just cases of a lack of resources. Rather like West Indies who've been reduced to picking the likes of Runako Morton in recent times.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That indeed was an epic series. But one series is not enough to make a decade.
Neither do 10 series in a decade. If the contest isn't going to offer any quality contest then people are going to forget within days and tbh I dont really remember much about India-pak series in the 2000s. Whereas 1999 series is going to be there with me till the last moment.

I know you dont put much value on ODIs but India-Pak ODI contest in the 90s was pretty good to and I will take those ODI contests over the test series of 2000s any day. Event the Sahara cup was more fun than the last India-pak test series.

Laurrz

International Debutant
AWTA regarding uniforms. Cricket tops will become too much like soccer soon. Yes soccer tops look cooler, but since when has cricket supposed to be cool? :p

Probably should explain that to him rather than shaking the finger, because its offensiveness isn't known worldwide.
England have the best top atm

funnygirl

State Regular
cricket in 90s was more fun as there was no such huge gulf between the teams .More competitive .

For me personally i was young ,didn't have any repsonsibilities so had more time to watch and follow the game ,that factor was also there .

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well for anyone who watches a lot of Australia the 90's had a lot of more competitive series especially in ODI's. In that sense it was better but I don't necessarily believe all cricket was more or less fun and interesting than today's game.

Major revisionism always happens with regard to previous generations/era's of anything really.

ret

International Debutant
watching Tendulkar playing and Ind winning just abt everything at home in tests was fun in the 90s .... though match-fixing and bad overseas record didn't help

i guess, it's much more fun to watch cricket now with Ind competing well in all forms at both home and abroad

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Heh, true I guess.

Rob, "Paki" isn't an acceptible word in this country. It's basically the same as "******". Used only as a racist insult.
Yeh sorry if I was offensive, I use the term affectionaly like Aussies, Kiwis, Poms, Banglas etc.

I like Pakistan. :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In defence of Rob, I've almost never heard of anyone using '****' pejoratively here in Aus but, of course, I'm sure I'll note the rather more negative use in England whilst on here. :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
In defence of Rob, I've almost never heard of anyone using '****' pejoratively here in Aus but, of course, I'm sure I'll note the rather more negative use in England whilst on here. :)
So we have to pander to every Englishman's preferences?

Craig

World Traveller
New Zealand between about 1993/94 and 1996/97 were truly awful though.

Still, they managed to almost beat England in a Test in 1994 on a rare occasion when the pieces all fell into place.
And won a Test in SA too! :happy:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As an Indian fan, I think things look better for us now than in the 90s.

But the overall cricketing world PoV, 90s do seem better than right now.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
yeah cricket was definitely a more interesting game in 90's....

some plyers also contributed to it.......Like Cairns,Harris,Akram,Klusener,Tendulkar,Ganguly......

Tournaments like Sharjah Cup were always exciting.........

Mard

Banned
Never really agreed with that TBH. I've always been careful to separate the good memories from the good happenings. Obviously sometimes there's overlap.

I look back at much of the stuff 1991-1996 (the time I lived in the place I've always felt I was happiest in and wish we'd never left - pretty much nothing with anything to do with cricket) and there's barely a thing I look back upon without fondness. The good stuff (and there was plenty of it) remains wonderful to recall, and most of the memories of bad stuff seem "good" in their own way, because they're all part of the package, and none of it can hurt me any more.

"Better-back-in-the-day"-ism is something I despise. It basically implies that people can't think for themselves and allow the sands of time to obscure realities. I realise how things were, and of course there's bad stuff in there. But to recall it fondly isn't to forget that it was bad at the time.

btw i for got to ask, what were you doing between 1991-1996? why was that time happy for you?

The period between 1990-1998 was really happy for me. After that things started to go down hill and now in 2008 my life is probably at the worst stage it has been ever. i would have never thought 10 years ago that my life could get this bad after 10 years

Last edited: