• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

was cricket more fun in the 90's?

Laurrz

International Debutant
Yeah exactly.

I think the return of Gladiators here in Australia is an extremely good example. There's seriously no argument that it was actually much better in the 90s, I've looked up/seen clips, and it was pretty much similar. Yes the 2008 version is missing a large black man with dreadlocks (Vulcan ftw), but still, things are just generally better when you were younger/when it was a while ago.

I generally think you'd have a 80-90% 'yes' answer rate if you went around asking 40-50 year olds "Was cricket better in the 70s and 80s". That's just opinion of course based on experience of this issue in general, but I'm fairly confident. I bet if I asked my parents was TV better in the 80s, they'd definitely say yes.

Now sometimes in some things, sports, entertainment, movies etc. they were actually better, but not to the extent people suggest when looking back fondly.

IMO, just as there is a danger of teens/youths believing that whatever is happening in their time is automatically better (Warne best bowler ever, Tendulkar/Ponting best batsman, Judd best player ever, Geelong greatest AFL team ever, New England Patriots greatest NFL team ever etc.), there's also a danger of immediately overrating things from the past.
good post
agreed entirely

have always wondered that and still am, its just strange to know why people are like this..

:laugh: Remember how great Gladiators use to be, playing all those games with my cousins
it just seems incredibly cheesy nowadays, but you realise that it was the same before too

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, it was way superior in the 1990's, simply because most sides were significantly better than they now are and we saw any number of crackingly competitive series.

I love the 1970's because that's when I started to follow the game, but there's no pretending that most of it was as good as the 1990's, although that may not have been the case had Packer not robbed us of what should have been two of the best years ever and SA getting themselves banned.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haha poor sod, its a wonder that someone so well connected in the industry could have a promising career turn to crap in the space of about 4 years.

Heard he tried to commit suicide a few months ago, poor sod.
I agree that pro-wrestling was absolutely awesome in the 90s.

Guess the market demand, so many shows, need to put on a great show 2 times a week as opposed to once in a month back then may be reasons why things have gone downhill in that industry even though it is now a virtual monopoly, unlike in the 90s.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I agree that pro-wrestling was absolutely awesome in the 90s.

Guess the market demand, so many shows, need to put on a great show 2 times a week as opposed to once in a month back then may be reasons why things have gone downhill in that industry even though it is now a virtual monopoly, unlike in the 90s.
I'd credit a lot of the downfall to the fact that it became a monopoly tbh, that coupled with the fact that the people who run the damn thing are more interested in massaging their own egos and building their own legacy rather than putting on a decent show more often than not.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'd credit a lot of the downfall to the fact that it became a monopoly tbh, that coupled with the fact that the people who run the damn thing are more interested in massaging their own egos and building their own legacy rather than putting on a decent show more often than not.
I am sure all of that are factors but I still think having 3 top-notch (or nearly top-notch) shows each week has put the workers under tremendous pressure. Add the house shows and the monthly PPVs (and there are more than the 1 per month nowadays) and the reasons for wrestler burnouts is very obvious. Anyways, I do think if they can limit the workers to just 1 show and 1 house show per week, things might still be better, inspite of the bad creative and everything...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Psychology says you're (unintentially) lying. Your brain is always far more likely to recall good stuff than bad to judge a period of time, especially when you're in a good frame of mind whilst recalling them.
Obviously, I mentioned this. I like to defy nature, though - I like to recall the bad stuff having had the good stuff come naturally.

As I said, because the bad stuff is long-gone-stories and because it's now "part of the package" it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad. But I still recall vividly how awful it was at the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW, methinks a few posts in this thread will soon be having to be started moving the the pro-wrestling thread... again. :p

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Kolkata 2001. Edgbaston 2005. Don't recall any matches being as great as that in the 90s. Maybe Lara's hundreds in the Frank-Worrell Trophy. Meh, cricket is always fun.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kensington Oval 1999, Old Trafford 1998, MCG 1998/99. Just a few from the end of the decade.

There will always be great games of cricket. It's the stuff in the middle that matters more.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nah, though equally I don't think cricket is categorically more fun nowadays either.

People say so because everything is generally seen as 'better back in the day', its only natural to think that. Nostalgia sometimes takes over what is the actual truth.
There were many good things about the 90s that are better nowadays, but equally some things are lacking.

I do think categorically that the elite bowlers of the 90s were better to watch than the last few years, well fast bowlers at least, so you can argue yes, and cricket probably wasn't as one-sided as its been whenever Australia played someone from 2001-2007 or so, but as I alluded to, you generally look back fondly about the good things of the past, but conveniently forget what was ****.

For AFL fans, I've often been one to say footy was better in the 90s, but I'm not so sure anymore. Like cricket, there are aspects that I miss (one on one footy, less flooding, actual contact allowed), but there are some aspects which I absolutely love of modern football (speed, half-backs running forward, better athletes).
Nostalgia is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I actually miss the canary yellow in the ODIs.

Oh and also the Pakis and Windies colours in the early 90s. That was great.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I actually miss the canary yellow in the ODIs.

Oh and also the Pakis and Windies colours in the early 90s. That was great.
Yeah, the simple ODI uniforms, like the 92 WC when they were all the same, just with some different colours. *sigh*

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
AWTA regarding uniforms. Cricket tops will become too much like soccer soon. Yes soccer tops look cooler, but since when has cricket supposed to be cool? :p

Probably should explain that to him rather than shaking the finger, because its offensiveness isn't known worldwide.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Heh, true I guess.

Rob, "Paki" isn't an acceptible word in this country. It's basically the same as "******". Used only as a racist insult.

Flem274*

123/5
And that one series in 90s was million times better than all India-Pak series played since. The Guy(sorry his nick is bit awkward to use is right, India-Pak games in 90s were a lot more fun, competitive and much more worth of your time and money.

Now-a-days India-Pak matches are worse than India-NZ.
India don't even play us so I don't understand your analogy at all.