• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why don't overseas players come to the Pura Cup

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd suggest that if NZ were to have a team that it would be pretty much be with the NZ international players but maybe not all of them.

I'd say they might leave out players like Harris, Cairns, Astle etc for younger players like Vincent, Ryder, Marshall brothers etc.

Infact it would probably be NZ 'A' with a couple of senior international players maybe Fleming, Vettori & Bond or something.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
I'd suggest that if NZ were to have a team that it would be pretty much be with the NZ international players but maybe not all of them.

I'd say they might leave out players like Harris, Cairns, Astle etc for younger players like Vincent, Ryder, Marshall brothers etc.

Infact it would probably be NZ 'A' with a couple of senior international players maybe Fleming, Vettori & Bond or something.

yea i wouldn't have any problems if that came about, but wouldn't you think it would harm Kiwi cricket with the lesser FC players not being able to come up against those guys on a weekly basis??

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well i was just thinking that I doubt NZ would want to play their full NZ international team or else or the competition would be taken away from our own domestic comp.

So leaving players like Harris, Cairns, Astle etc would probably help balance it up.

NZ 'A' would definately consist of players that are either up & coming or close to making the Black Caps anyway.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think that the NZ state (province or whatever you have) sides should be allowed in to at least the ING cup, if not both, i think more cricket needs to be played at that level to assist the development of young players on both sides of the tasman

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im sure it won't be far off..with NZ joining alot of Australian competitions like the Soccer, League & Basketball.

It took awhile for the league, but you can already see how much it has paid off with the NZ league team actually giving Australia some decent games aswell as graduating younger NZ players into the competition.

O.K well the Kingz suck, but they might be able to turn it around & NZ are in dreamland with basketball at the moment, there are so many good players & they will offer alot to the Australian basketball league.

So I think it shouldn't be too far away with the cricket, and i'd think it would be an NZ 'A' that contests with the Australian states.

Haffy

Cricket Spectator
ok so maybe they might not quite all be able to play, but i think the NZ 1st XI would be great in the australian comp. theyd be up near the top, but not too god for the rest of the competition. the best NZ players are as good as the best (regular ie blewett, mark waugh) australian 1st class players, and it would be great to give nsw a challenge.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Everyone remembers Ian Botham and Viv Richards playing for Queensland, Michael Holding for Tassie, Joel Garner for South Australia etc etc.........yes?

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
So I think it shouldn't be too far away with the cricket, and i'd think it would be an NZ 'A' that contests with the Australian states. [/B]
the ideal for me would be an 'A' team without the established / current internationals. An ideal opportunity for the likes of Butler, Mason, Hitchcock, Ryder, McIntosh, Papps etc who are knocking on the door to full / regular selections. Its hard for the fringe players to find consistancy when they lack the regular matches against top competition when they come off a tour.

I think the current / regular internationals should still play in the domestic comp as their availability is so limited anyway - better to use the opportunity to develop squad strength & the next generation.

Further more you can also put the acid test on those currently out of form such as McMillan, Sinclair etc - give them a few matches back home and then throw them in playing with the players most likely to take their places. Same can go for rehabilitation from injuries prior to the rigours of any away tour.

:)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
hourn said:
And if Collingwood was playing for Victoria, then that would be taking a spot away from an Australian who could be developed.
And now you see the problem in England when the counties not only have 2 overseas players but also a whole host of non-England qualified players...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
And now you see the problem in England when the counties not only have 2 overseas players but also a whole host of non-England qualified players...
And there's nothing that can be done to change that.

Craig

World Traveller
Personally, I believe Counties should only have one overseas player per season and the practice of short term players and EU Passport players who wont play for England be disencouraged. You cant ban it, as there would be industrial action in court. Instead finincial penalties.

Kevin Pieterson I support as he moved to England with the intenion of playing for England.

Of late, Craig White, Mohammed Wasim of Pakistan, and Ben Smith of Worcstershire has played in New Zealand lately. I should also include Aravinda de Silva and Paul Franks of England (played one ODI in 2000) have also played in New Zealand.

White and Smith both played for Central Districts.

Hick has also played in New Zealand and along with Holding.

If any player that gets offered a contract by a Australian State, then they should take it. Alan Mullaly and White both played Western Australia and Victoria (Mullaly and Victoria for White) as they both grew up in Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Australia isn't in the EU, therefore EU law doesn't apply to them, and your argument is entirely baseless.
Beat me to it!

There is nothing we can do, but at the end of the day, it's still the worst player that's missing out for this player, so my view is that it's not too bad.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
I hereby propose a new domestic tournament, the Ian Markus Cup, named after it's founder.

Seriously South African, Australian and New Zealand Cricket is all very even. last time Australia played NZ it was a draw, and SA are considered the second best.
Why not put them all together and have a super 12, i'd seriously love watching something like that

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slats4ever said:
last time Australia played NZ it was a draw, and SA are considered the second best.
Maybe because overall South Africa win more consistently than New Zealand....:rolleyes:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slats4ever said:
I hereby propose a new domestic tournament, the Ian Markus Cup, named after it's founder.

Seriously South African, Australian and New Zealand Cricket is all very even.
What do you base that on exactly?

As far as I can see there's no way of comparing domestic games, so to decide these 3 are fairly equal is a little bizarre...

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
What do you base that on exactly?

As far as I can see there's no way of comparing domestic games, so to decide these 3 are fairly equal is a little bizarre...
Oh common Marc, its clear to see from WCC that ND are a team to fear! :lol: