• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst player to play for Australia 1989-2006/07

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just a bit of fun. It was a long, hugely successful time with many superb players representing the team, from Border, Healy, Taylor, Alderman and the Waughs right through to Gilchrist, Hussey and Clark. But there were a surprising number of nothing players in that time too.

Take your pick from Greg Campbell, Trevor Hohns, Peter Sleep, Peter Taylor, Mike Veletta, Wayne Phillips (NOT the batsman-wicketkeeper who played in the 1980s but a one-Test wonder in 1991/92), Brendon Julian, Peter McIntyre, Brad Hogg, Shaun Young, Simon Cook, Gavin Robertson, Paul Wilson, Adam Dale, Scott Muller, Brad Williams, Nathan Hauritz and Shaun Tait. Most of these only played as fill-ins when someone, sometimes three or four people, were unavailable, but a few got in as first-choices. So who d'you reckon?

I would post a poll but I'm not sure it'd allow this many options.
Go for Hauritz, ahead of Sounda...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe someone we've all forgotten from the 1989 ashes. Wasn't there someone called Campbell who I've never heard of since?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Someone called Greg Campbell who I mentioned... in the opening post? :mellow:

He did play three more games in 1989/90, the first when Rackemann was injured, the second when Alderman was, and the third when Hughes was. Never did much of any real note.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I heard Campbell was a good net bowler for his nephew who turned out an OK cricketer.

Craig

World Traveller
I heard Campbell was a good net bowler for his nephew who turned out an OK cricketer.
Yeah his nephew is a decent batsman as well and is good fielder as well, he should have a big future ahead of him.

As for Hauritz, if it wasn't him picked, then Cameron White would of been picked and he is a batting all-rounder so I doubt he would fared better bowling wise.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'd like to have seen Phil Emery keep wicket to see if he could be a candidate.
I reckon Emery would have been fine really.

The amazing thing is that Australia hasn't had a very dire batsmen [min 2 tests] since 1989. Players like Blewett and Elliott are seen to have bad averages and they still average above 30.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ironically the worst is Michael Bevan, and before his Test debut there were not-unjustified thoughts (even if only mooted ones) that he might be the best.