• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst player to play for Australia 1989-2006/07

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shaun Young, seem to remember he was playing local cricket in England and we had an injury crisis for the final Ashes test and he got a game out of being in the right place at the right time rather than being the selectors prefered option, which you could at least say was the truth when it came to Wilson, Muller, Hauritz etc...

Burgey

He did? News to me. Took 12-238 in his first 2 Tests (and bowled just 2 overs in his 3rd), but in his last 10 took 15 wickets at 55.13 (including 8 at 56.50 in 6 Tests post-1989). He was very poor, as was Peter Sleep, as was Greg Matthews (though he could bat) and I have to say I'm a little mystified why any of them were picked instead of Tim May who, while nothing special himself, was generally held in much higher esteem than any of those three.

BTW, could someone tell me - I'd always presumed it was a joke, but is it actually true that he was picked when they wanted Mark Taylor? :blink:
IIRC May kept getting injured a lot in the late 80s. He toured England in 89 I think and was injured, by the time he got better, Hohns was in the side.
Anyway, on topic - McIntyre for me.

Last edited:

Burgey

Nathan Hauritz by a considerable margin and then Brendon Julian who is probably closely followed by an untalented doorknob.
Did a worthwhile job in the WI in 95 tbf. Not much else though - now has the best job in the world as a reporter on Getaway.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
AWTA. Nathan Hauritz wasn't all that bad. Think he gets unfairly lambasted because Clarke took more wickets than him in the same match, at times.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
AWTA. Nathan Hauritz wasn't all that bad. Think he gets unfairly lambasted because Clarke took more wickets than him in the same match, at times.
Nah, I reckon it was his 63 wickets in 37 First Class games @ 49.57. Cullen's certainly not great either but he's a class above Hauritz.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harsh on McIntyre. Always rated him.
Quite surprised you even remember him TBH.

I never saw him bowl a ball and he doesn't seem to have done much of any great note in his career - what was it you thought was good about him?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Explain Stuart Law, then.

;)
Well, I never said "if you're a good player at a time of riches you're certain to play loads" did I? :mellow:

The likes of Law, Cox, Lehmann etc. were simply unfortunate to be excellent players at a time when more excellent players were going along mostly without slip-ups.

Though it's intreguing - think, had Lehmann been the one picked to replace Border in 1994/95, or even Boon in 1996/97, how different might things have been? Blewett might have been reduced to a Law, Bevan and Ponting might've had to wait much longer to get in (and who knows - maybe have done either better or worse than they ended-up doing).

Another what-if I've always liked the look of is "had Matthew Elliott done well in the Caribbean in 1999". No Matthew Hayden. :happy:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Another what-if I've always liked the look of is "had Matthew Elliott done well in the Caribbean in 1999". No Matthew Hayden. :happy:
I don't think Matthew Elliott doing well in the Carribean was a real possibility. For instance, his temperamental flaws and inability to accept Steve Waugh in the leadership role have been well documented. He was very good technically, but he was on the decline as a Test batsman well before that disaster of a Carribean tour (from 1997/98, IIRC). His injury issues didn't help him either (while Hayden has generally been fit, except for recently).

Really, on occasion, I feel that your dislike of Hayden borders on irrationality, but that's another story for another time.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Quite surprised you even remember him TBH.

I never saw him bowl a ball and he doesn't seem to have done much of any great note in his career - what was it you thought was good about him?
Bowled leg spin when it was unfashionable, I guess, and was second fiddle to Warne - but a good bowler IMO. Basically Stuart MacGill early 90's. His stats are not flattering but was a better bowler than they suggest.

Of course, all IMO.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bowled leg spin when it was unfashionable, I guess, and was second fiddle to Warne - but a good bowler IMO. Basically Stuart MacGill early 90's. His stats are not flattering but was a better bowler than they suggest.

Of course, all IMO.
Was more the type who didn't spin his leggie a big way, but had a very good wrong'un. From memory, might've been originally from Vic.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think Matthew Elliott doing well in the Carribean was a real possibility. For instance, his temperamental flaws and inability to accept Steve Waugh in the leadership role have been well documented. He was very good technically, but he was on the decline as a Test batsman well before that disaster of a Carribean tour (from 1997/98, IIRC). His injury issues didn't help him either (while Hayden has generally been fit, except for recently).
I've never been entirely sure of the Elliott story myself. He seemed to replace Slater for no good reason in 1996/97 and then Slater seemed to come back for equally no good reason in 1997/98.

I always rated him very highly though. I know about the problems he had with Stephen Waugh in 1999, but had he scored something big they might well have sorted those problems - Waugh wasn't a man to throw away an asset because he didn't get on with them, witness Shane Warne. Whether he was poor enough by then that success was unthinkable isn't something I know too much about though.
Really, on occasion, I feel that your dislike of Hayden borders on irrationality, but that's another story for another time.
Dislike and not rating him are two separate things TBH. But yeah - another time. In fact, possibly preferably, never, as it might cause many on here to lose the will to live.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Was more the type who didn't spin his leggie a big way, but had a very good wrong'un. From memory, might've been originally from Vic.
We referring to Peter McIntyre?

The thing that I remember most was the fact that he didn't bowl a single ball at the stumps!

His line was outside off, and got a decent amount of spin. Did he play at Adelaide in Greg Blewett's debut? It could have been his debut too, not really sure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aye.
The thing that I remember most was the fact that he didn't bowl a single ball at the stumps!

His line was outside off, and got a decent amount of spin.
Sounds like Ian Salisbury.
Did he play at Adelaide in Greg Blewett's debut? It could have been his debut too, not really sure.
Yep, certainly did, and it was. And 1 other game, I think it was in India in '96/97.

EDIT: just looking, apparently McIntyre took 1 top-order wicket of a batsman who wasn't batting with the tail. His wickets were DeFreitas, Gatting (who was last out with Tufnell at the other end), Tendulkar (that 1), Sunil Joshi and Venkatesh Prasad.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

His line was outside off, and got a decent amount of spin. Did he play at Adelaide in Greg Blewett's debut? It could have been his debut too, not really sure.
The line was outside off as to make sure that the wrong'un was harded to read.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I've never been entirely sure of the Elliott story myself. He seemed to replace Slater for no good reason in 1996/97 and then Slater seemed to come back for equally no good reason in 1997/98.
Elliott was actually pretty poor during that 1997/98 season. He scored one century - and that was all.

I always rated him very highly though. I know about the problems he had with Stephen Waugh in 1999, but had he scored something big they might well have sorted those problems - Waugh wasn't a man to throw away an asset because he didn't get on with them, witness Shane Warne. Whether he was poor enough by then that success was unthinkable isn't something I know too much about though.
However, Matthew Elliott may also have had issues with Steve Waugh, which may not have helped team harmony if he was actually successful. When you don't feel supported, as was the case with Elliott, it makes it harder to play for the team. It becomes a 'me vs them' kind of thing. Just look at the Pakistani cricket team throughout the 1990's, for instance. They couldn't get it together nearly as often as they should've because of all the infighting and conspirating.

Dislike and not rating him are two separate things TBH. But yeah - another time. In fact, possibly preferably, never, as it might cause many on here to lose the will to live.
:laugh: - but the line between the two is often blurred.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Even though I don't rate Muller. He was one of leading wicket takers in domestic cricket for about two seasons, before he got selected. He did warrant selection. Apart from Young, who was a pretty handy FC cricketer, still one of leading run scorers and wicket takers in Tasmania's Pura Cup/SS Cricket. The rest all warrant selection one way or the other. There weren't that many really bad cricketers, they were just below Australia's high standards.