• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll: Openers in India All Time Test XI

Select 2 openers

• Ramesh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prabhakar

• Das

• Jaffer

• Jaisimha

• Chauhan

• Roy

• Gaekwad

• Srikkanth

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
confirming ----> I m not voting in this dumb poll :)
Confirming my thanks... :) ... 2 guys you and bond21 are always welcome not to participate in these polls...Although I won't be bothered if you do...

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
Confirming my thanks... :) ... 2 guys you and bond21 are always welcome not to participate in these polls...Although I won't be bothered if you do...
thats none of your business as to who participates in a poll or not

just coz you started this dumb thread, it does not mean that you own it

thats^ again all common-sense :p

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
If you had even an iota of that common (or uncommon) sense then you would know that from my last post the above is implied...
if so then why would you be jumping around with happiness and saying thanks when i said that i won't vote .... then you said that it doesn't bother you 8-)

and what guy would attack someone who says that a poll is dumb and doesn't make sense :laugh:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
if so then why would you be jumping around with happiness and saying thanks when i said that i won't vote .... then you said that it doesn't bother you 8-)
Since you think you have much of common sense I thought I needn't explain this :) ...Anyways here you go...By the above words I meant that I would be happy if you don't vote in these polls since I have had enough understanding about your common and other senses from your 'meaningful discussions' with other members like honestbharani and others in other threads...Also, I mentioned that I won't be sad if you (or anyone for that matter) voted since I believe in democracy...Is it clear to you or am I, the lesser mortal, still lacking the 'common sense' to be knowledgeable to you sir?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, every single name on this list is not considered more worthy than Merchant...As I have stated in my earier post, I haven't listed the best Indian openers, but I have listed those openers who have played enough for others to form opinion about them (either good or bad)...However, as I have stated earlier, Merchant will get a chance to compete against the first runner-up of this poll in a separate poll (on popular demand)...So, nothing to worry about...
I don't see why Tests should be the only thing a player has to play to form opinion about them.

I thought the idea was to try and pick the best team you could for India, rather than pick the players who'd performed best for India in Tests. If the former, Merchant would be pretty much the first name on my teamsheet, with Tendulkar second.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see why Tests should be the only thing a player has to play to form opinion about them.

I thought the idea was to try and pick the best team you could for India, rather than pick the players who'd performed best for India in Tests. If the former, Merchant would be pretty much the first name on my teamsheet, with Tendulkar second.
Ya, one could think in that way I admit...Though I am a bit surprised to hear this from you since some days ago you said you won't consider Larwood for an all time test XI even though you admitted he's one of the bests when FC is considered...

Anyways, I repeat I shall give a chance to Merchant against the first runner-up of this poll (in the same way as I have given chances to Nissar and Amar Singh in the other poll) ...So, nothing to worry about...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Did I? I think I said I don't consider Larwood one of England's greatest Test bowlers. If I was picking an all-time England XI (not that I'm much of a fan of such exercises) I'd most certainly give him damn huge consideration. It's almost certainly nothing but misfortune on his behalf (both his career coinciding so readily with Bradman's and the Bodyline fallout) that he didn't have a superb Test career.

ret

International Debutant
Since you think you have much of common sense I thought I needn't explain this :) ...Anyways here you go...By the above words I meant that I would be happy if you don't vote in these polls since I have had enough understanding about your common and other senses from your meaningful discussions with other members like honestbharani and others in other threads...Also, I mentioned that I won't be sad if you (or anyone for that matter) voted since I believe in democracy...Is it clear to you or am I still lacking the common sense to be knowledgeable to you sir?
thats none of your business :wacko:

by saying all that you are confirming that you are carrying out personal attacks on me, when i m commenting on poll here

if you won't be bothered by it then why write the below to a comment like 'i guess, i will pass the poll' ... what was the need for the one below 8-)

Thank you very much if your guess turns into reality...
and then

:-O

why waste ppl's time with such dumb polls and dumb posts :yawn: and then :cursing: when someone point that out

your poll [yeah Jaffar and Das fighting for a place in an all time X1, pollster's dream choices 8-)] + your posts = dumbness exemplified .... and then you poke your nose in matters that are none of your business and attack me as if i m some bad guy :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, he's not up with Marshall, Hadlee, Donald, Imran Khan, DK Lillee, Lindwall, etc. IMO. Not at all.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
thats none of your business :wacko:

by saying all that you are confirming that you are carrying out personal attacks on me, when i m commenting on poll here

if you won't be bothered by it then why write the below to a comment like 'i guess, i will pass the poll' ... what was the need for the one below 8-)

and then

:-O
Oh you attacked my poll and posts, not me?....I also attacked your thought and brain and 'common sense', not you...

ret

International Debutant
Oh you attacked my poll and posts, not me?....I also attacked your thought and brain and 'common sense', not you...
yeah, right

that^ comes from someone who has Jaffar, Das, Ramesh, Prabhakar, etc in a poll for a place as an opener in an all-time Ind X1 and not Merchant and Shastri 8-) .... and the one who tries to attack ppl's thought for pointing that out :laugh:

thanks for showing how creditable your opinion is :ph34r:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
No, he's not up with Marshall, Hadlee, Donald, Imran Khan, DK Lillee, Lindwall, etc. IMO. Not at all.
Hmmm...Since I had to set an elligibility criteria, Merchant (just like Nissar and Amar Singh) couldn't be fitted up...Anyways since I (and many CW members here) feel they should be in contension, I have long ago decided that they would be given chance in a separate popular poll...And already Nissar and Amar are there in the other poll up against Kapil and Srinath...Soon Merchant will also be up against Sehwag....Now that this problem has been solved in this way, I feel discussing further about the issue is unnecessary...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think there should be any criteria other than "obviously outstanding Indian player". No exact number of Test runs or Test matches.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think there should be any criteria other than "obviously outstanding Indian player". No exact number of Test runs or Test matches.
In that way, 'I' would have to decide whom I call 'obviously outstanding Indian player'...But I wanted the CW members to decide that, not me [As the whole object of this exercise is to arrive at a team selected by CW members, otherwise I could have posted my team of XI members and that's it]...Hope I am able to convey my point...That's why names like Jaffer and Das are in this poll (Don't tell ret about this :) )...And Merchant will be...

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, right

that^ comes from someone who has Jaffar, Das, Ramesh, Prabhakar, etc in a poll for a place as an opener in an all-time Ind X1 and not Merchant and Shastri 8-) .... and the one who tries to attack ppl's thought for pointing that out :laugh:

thanks for showing how creditable your opinion is :ph34r:
I am ready to admit my opinions are never creditable, honest, sensible, knowledgeable, intelligible, comprehensible, good (add any other word here you like to) if that results in the end of this interaction of mine with you...Hope this pleases you...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In that way, 'I' would have to decide whom I call 'obviously outstanding Indian player'...But I wanted the CW members to decide that, not me [As the whole object of this exercise is to arrive at a team selected by CW members, otherwise I could have posted my team of XI members and that's it]...Hope I am able to convey my point...That's why names like Jaffer and Das are in this poll (Don't tell ret about this :) )...And Merchant will be...
I know what you mean. It's the reason I don't really like choose-your-XI things being done this way. Much prefer it being done the way DoG did whatever choose-your... it was he did a little while ago. That may have been before your time - but no polls were involved, it was post-only.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I know what you mean. It's the reason I don't really like choose-your-XI things being done this way. Much prefer it being done the way DoG did whatever choose-your... it was he did a little while ago. That may have been before your time - but no polls were involved, it was post-only.
Let's see how the final team shapes up by my method...

By the way, I'm interested to know how it was done by DoG...Can you post a link of one among those earlier threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.