• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll: Who will lead your World Cup Dream XI?

Choose the Skipper of your World Cup Dream XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
Of the 11 players in the final XI, the following six have lead their team in World Cup. Their records against the big teams are given below. Minnows, including Bangladesh, are excluded

*RT Ponting 2003-2007 15 15 0 0 0 - 53.41 5.82 377 -
*Imran Khan 1983-1992 22 14 8 0 0 1.75 33.49 4.46 338 173
*N Kapil Dev 1983-1987 15 11 4 0 0 2.75 31.93 4.62 289 158
*Wasim Akram 1996-1999 11 7 4 0 0 1.75 34.54 4.89 281 132
*SR Waugh 1999-1999 8 5 2 1 0 2.50 36.57 4.98 303 213
*IVA Richards 1987-1987 6 3 3 0 0 1.00 33.65 5.20 360 216

Of these six, Ponting (twice), Imran, Kapil and Waugh have won the tournament.

Three more players - sachin, gilchrist and warne - have led their countries in one dayers but not in World Cup games. Knowing some members might want to go for an unorthodox choice I am having them in the poll as well.

Choose one leader to skipper this team of champions

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
I know it might be an unpopular call. But I am going for Ponting. He is yet to lose a match in World Cup. Even with a great team it is an awesome achievement. This is a great team too. And Ponting's experience in managing super stars would come in handy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know it might be an unpopular call. But I am going for Ponting. He is yet to lose a match in World Cup. Even with a great team it is an awesome achievement. This is a great team too. And Ponting's experience in managing super stars would come in handy.
AWTA, though either one of Imran or Ponting really would be a great choice - Ponting's managed the stars he's had very well (and bare in mind he led that side in 03 after the tumult of losing Warne on the eve of the tournament), but Imran's man management skills are legendary.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Good point...

Fusion

Global Moderator
I know it might be an unpopular call. But I am going for Ponting. This is a great team too. And Ponting's experience in managing super stars would come in handy.
As would Imran's ability to manage super-size egos and individuals and mold them into a team. :) Imran's charismatic and inspirational leadership is a key reason that Pakistan regrouped from near elimination to win the '92 WC.

JBH001

International Regular
Went for Imran. Although I did dislike his post win speech at the 92 WC. Perhaps the worst ever by a winning captain.

bagapath

International Captain
me too. the most selfish speech from a cricket team's point of view. at the half way stage of the poll, he is leading by a comfortable margin, though.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Going for Ponting - his captaincy record speaks for itself. He's shown he can keep a great team up, which is more relevant than the achievements of some of the other candidates here who's great achievement was to get a team of basketcases to act like a real team. People might say that his record is helped by having a good team, well he's got a great team here. Plus I've always thought he's a better ODI captain than a Test captain.

bagapath

International Captain
unless all the remaining 12 to 15 votes go in favor of ponting, imran is likely to win this poll easily