• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's 3rd/4th bowling option?

Which of the following should make Australia's test team at the moment?

• Total voters

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's a poll to see what fast bowlers you'd have in the test side. The place of Clark and Lee is well and truly secure but what about the other two spots? Play a spinner and one seamer or two seamers? Vote for who'd get the nod if you were in charge of selections.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
The grammar of the poll title looks horrible. Can't think of what it should be though. Help?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
The best team would have Noffke and Bollinger in there but for India I'd probably have Noffke and Casson. I can also see Johnson being persisted with before Bollinger but I think Noffke has to be there. Maybe that's just Queensland bias though.

pasag

RTDAS
Not sure about McGain, would be happier with two seamers. Bollinger and Noffke for me with Bracken as a dark horse. Dunno, bit embarrassing that this is what we have to choose from this.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure about McGain, would be happier with two seamers. Bollinger and Noffke for me with Bracken as a dark horse. Dunno, bit embarrassing that this is what we have to choose from this.
Not really. Noffke'e been knocking the door down for several years. Bollinger had a great last seasons. He also bowled pretty well for Aus A on the pitches in Pakistan iirc, which may be a good pointer for India. Would rate Bracken to bowl fast left arm spinners/ cutters on Indian decks tbh.
Edit: Bollinger v Pak A in "tests" - 9 wickets at 13.44, FTR

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Not really. Noffke'e been knocking the door down for several years. Bollinger had a great last seasons. He also bowled pretty well for Aus A on the pitches in Pakistan iirc, which may be a good pointer for India. Would rate Bracken to bowl fast left arm spinners/ cutters on Indian decks tbh.
Edit: Bollinger v Pak A in "tests" - 9 wickets at 13.44, FTR
Dunno, they just don't instill me with too much confidence and playing against the two other best batting sides in the world, things could get out of hand pretty quickly, maybe Noffke aside.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep. We'll just have to see how they go I suppose.

I think the third quick is the more important of the two positions at issue. Sure Casson doesn't look real flash but tbf to him he got some last day wickts, which is what he's there to do. The third quick, though, has to be able to pick up wickets more consistently and, almost as important, not leak runs like a sieve.
Gillespie's leaking of runs in 05 cost us an enormous amount. Whoever comes in, if they don't get bagfuls so be it, provided they keep it at or about 3 RPO during a test.

pasag

RTDAS
Yep. We'll just have to see how they go I suppose.

I think the third quick is the more important of the two positions at issue. Sure Casson doesn't look real flash but tbf to him he got some last day wickts, which is what he's there to do. The third quick, though, has to be able to pick up wickets more consistently and, almost as important, not leak runs like a sieve.
Gillespie's leaking of runs in 05 cost us an enormous amount. Whoever comes in, if they don't get bagfuls so be it, provided they keep it at or about 3 RPO during a test.
Yeah, that's why Tait is a big no-no for me at the moment (aside from the obv needs to get back into FC first). Wait till things settle down a bit before we start that experiment again.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not a huge Bracken fan, and this certainly wouldn't apply at home, but he'd be the first bowler I picked for a tour of India.

He's a much improved bowler since the last time we saw him at Test level and he bowls quite a bit differently at First Class level to what he does in ODIs. He used to be very swing reliant, but he can bowl a bit quicker than he once could and effectively use his angle. He's a smarter more mature bowler now and he has an excellent record in the best First Class competition in the world. Adding to all this, he's the best exponent of cutters in world cricket. He doesn't actually use them that often in Australian First Class cricket, but this sort of bowling would be absolutely perfect in India, especially if Australia aren't going to pick a frontline spinner.

Who would you rather have with the score on 2/180 on a slow, low pitch offering a bit of turn? Bracken giving away nothing and getting the odd ball to bite, or Johnson going at 6 rpo?

Lee, Bracken, Clark and Noffke for mine. Not really convinced Noffke will offer a great deal as a second change bowler at Test level in India, but he's the next best option really. I'd go for McGain ahead of him if it looked like the pitch would be a real turner but I think Noffke is a superior bet otherwise.

Back at home, Bracken would probably get the axe for Bollinger, regardless of how well he bowled. Harsh I know, but I think Bollinger would be more effective in Australian conditions.

Bracken definitely has a role in the Australian Test team for the next few years though, IMO.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I'm a huge Bracken fan, and this certainly also applies at home - he'd be the first bowler I picked for a tour of India.

He's a much improved bowler since the last time we saw him at Test level and he bowls quite a bit differently at First Class level to what he does in ODIs. He used to be very swing reliant, but he can bowl a bit quicker than he once could and effectively use his angle. He's a smarter more mature bowler now and he has an excellent record in the best First Class competition in the world. Adding to all this, he's the best exponent of cutters in world cricket. He doesn't actually use them that often in Australian First Class cricket, but this sort of bowling would be absolutely perfect in India, especially if Australia aren't going to pick a frontline spinner and unless it's Aaron Heal, they shouldn't.

Who would you rather have with the score on 240/0 on a slow, low pitch offering a bit of turn? Bracken giving away nothing and getting 1/3 balls to bite, or Johnson going at 14 rpo?

Lee, Bracken, Clark and Noffke/Heal for mine. Noffke has a 90% chance of gunning it in India and he's the next best option really. I'd go for McGain ahead of him if it looked like Noffke had both lost his legs, but even then, Heal would take preference.

Back at home, Bracken would smash Bollinger into the ground even more than he would overseas. Harsh I know, but I think Bollinger would be more effective in a homeless shelter.

Bracken definitely has a role in the Australian Test team for the next 10-15 years, IMO.
AWTA.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look, I love the guy, but it seems clear Johnners needs another season or 2 in FC cricket :(. He'll cut a swathe through international batsmen from 2010 though, so they best get in while they can :cool:. Agree with what PEWS said re: Bracken as well, hadn't really thought about it before, but it makes perfect sense. Knoffke has to be the next to make his debut though, gunnest bloke, and a QLDer to b00t.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Just thinking about this. With the pace Bracken bowls at times in sub continent, can't he play as main spinner. His left arm cutters are 10 times better then anything Casson and co can produce.