• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

alex tudor

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator
What happend to the guy?
england right arm fast bowler ( coloured skin )
i remember he got a nasty hit from brett lee back in 2002 and hasnt played a test since.

what a great talent whick has probly been wasted

what do you think

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Has 8 FC wickets at 58 for Essex this season. Looks like he's just gone not very good.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Loads of injuries.. People accused him of being a faker, like somehow they know exactly if he is going through pain or not.. Which I always found interesting..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Certainly talented and looked to have big heart too. But his well-documented injury problems have meant that he's had virtually no chance of being a success at the highest level.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
Alex Tudor was a handy cricketer ......
tall fast bowler....
and handy with bat too..........(i remember his 98* in 1998-99)

don't know why he was not a regular in England squad........

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Alex Tudor. Possibly one of English Cricket's mysteries.

When I had first seen him in action, he was tearing through Lankan batting in a Test match. He was fast, aggressive, and bruised a few Lankan batsmen in those matches. I heard he was also quite a good swing bowler, but his rather hostile bowling in that phase was quite remarkable, especially when the attack without him was predictable, one-paced and underpowered. Add to that he was a more-than-useful batsman, and would have done well in the lower order (allowing genuine wicketkeepers to play, post-Stewart).

Then came injuries. Then some more injuries. Then this talk about him faking several injuries. He wasn't the same bowler since then. Maybe he didn't have the heart. Or even the body. There was something special about him then, but it must be over now. As someone pointed out about 8 wickets @58, that's hardly match-winning, and he's been pushed back by the likes of Anderson, Harmison, Jones, Broad, Tremlett and Plunkett, so he's way behind in the race.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
He does a bit of commentating on County Cricket matches.

He was a decent bowler but even had he remained fit I'm not sure he was quite up there. I remember him bowling well in a Perth Test match though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tudor always promised far more than he delivered, and the multiple, repeated injuries didn't help.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
i've heard people talking about him apparently faking injuries in the past, how was this originally leaked into the public domain?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stuff about him faking injuries was always a load of nonsense, borne more out of the fact people wanted to believe him "soft" than anything. He has a medically established condition which means he gets injured loads - people didn't know about this for ages and the conclusion "he can't be injured all these times - he must be faking it!" grew.

Eventually it was found-out that he was suffering from ostentis pubis (something like that - can never remember how it's spelt) but the problems were never really solved.

And as I said - even if they had been, I'm less convinced than some are that he'd have turned-out an excellent bowler had he remained fit. He had a few very useful assets - great height, could actually swing the ball both ways to order (his first two Test wickets were the Waughs, Stephen through his only weakness, the in-dipper, Mark with his biggest, the away-swinger), and was pretty sharp through the air (fairly sure he topped 90mph on a handful of occasions). But he was always prone to inaccuracy and not all that many people can go from being as wayward as he to being accurate enough to maintain a good Test economy-rate.

Could he have been a Simon Jones-circa-2005? It's not impossible. But nor is it even close to being more likely than not as some have painted.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
WUB.

Tudor, great player imo, always a favourite of mine, promised so much, and imo when playing for England he did a decent job.

Not been the same player for a long time now.

Saw him standing around inside Waterloo Station once.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
fairly sure he topped 90mph on a handful of occasions
Not while I was watching!... He looked the part: big, long limbed with an excellent natural bowling action, but he wasn't an out-and-out quick bowler and needed a fast and bouncy pitch (such as Perth where he bowled well) to trouble decent batsman.