• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Against One day cricket?

Mard

Banned
I have been noticing so many people over the last few months have turned against One Day cricket. Why is that? One day cricket should not die, 20/20 is ok but One day is so much better. The most memorable moments of cricket over the last 30 years have taken in One Day cricket. Why do people want to kill this format of the game?

I agree we shouldn't play useless time wasting matches, but this is true for any format of the game. why single out ODIs?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I have been noticing so many people over the last few months have turned against One Day cricket. Why is that? One day cricket should not die, 20/20 is ok but One day is so much better. The most memorable moments of cricket over the last 30 years have taken in One Day cricket. Why do people want to kill this format of the game?

I agree we shouldn't play useless time wasting matches, but this is true for any format of the game. why single out ODIs?
Because the majority of "useless time-wasting matches" at the moment are ODIs. I don't think you'll find many here who want ODIs gone altogether (although you will find some) but there are a lot of pointlessly long ODI series of which the outcome means little to anyone either way.

The same isn't really true of Twenty20 games at the moment, as they're relatively rare. You'll usually find one international game per tour plus a lot of domestic stuff. This'll probably change soon enough and we'll see long and pointless Twenty20 series as well, but it's a nice amount at the moment really.

A Test series is never pointless. In fact, if anything, Test series should be longer - too many of them are restricted to two or three Tests. The result is of most importance regardless of your opponent and each Test is memorable. Tests involving Bangladesh are probably the exception to this at the moment, but they are hardly pointless.

Mard

Banned
^ yeah i think they should only focus on having important oneday series. ICC should really do some thing about this before people start loosing interest on all Oneday matches

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I prefer Twenty20 to ODIs, yes.

It basically goes Tests >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 20/20 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ODI

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
he most memorable moments of cricket over the last 30 years have taken in One Day cricket. Why do people want to kill this format of the game?
Perhaps for some, but certainly not for me. Not remotely so, in fact.

I don't think you'll find many here who want ODIs gone altogether (although you will find some)
Guilty as charged.

I personally don't want or like either Twenty20 or ODI, but three formats are too many and if I had to pick, I'd pick Twenty20 as the survivor.

As others have said, I see no point in ODI games. They are too often boring and more often forgettable.

Mard

Banned
^ maybe for some people like you they are forgettable, but not for every one. How are matches like India vs Pakistan forgettable?

To me a test series between New Zeland and England like the one we had is forgettable. it was a such a dull series.

Mard

Banned
i think what needs to happen is, teams should play important series and forget about the friendly oneday matches series that are played after the test match series. Those take way long and are pointless.

i dont mind Oneday cricket being limited to 3 or 4 major tournaments a year, which should include major teams

My point is One day cricket shouldn't be killed off just because some people are not liking it

Last edited:

jammay123

State 12th Man
i dont think that odi's should be removed totally because i feel they are a good format but their is a severe saturation of the market. with the undeniable increase in the amount of 20/20 that will occur in the near future i think that the icc should make an odi's series a maximum of three matches and they shouls always be a build up to a test series eliminating the the tours with just odi's which are crap. having a lot less odi's would possibly make them more interesting and exiting when they are on.

Mard

Banned
i dont think that odi's should be removed totally because i feel they are a good format but their is a severe saturation of the market. with the undeniable increase in the amount of 20/20 that will occur in the near future i think that the icc should make an odi's series a maximum of three matches and they shouls always be a build up to a test series eliminating the the tours with just odi's which are crap. having a lot less odi's would possibly make them more interesting and exiting when they are on.

yeah i agree with that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
^ maybe for some people like you they are forgettable, but not for every one. How are matches like India vs Pakistan forgettable?

To me a test series between New Zeland and England like the one we had is forgettable. it was a such a dull series.
It wasn't the best Test series, but I'd watch that rather than the tri-series we just had. I didn't watch as single ball, and I watched a lot of the England-New Zealand series.

i think what needs to happen is, teams should play important series and forget about the friendly oneday matches series that are played after the test match series. Those take way long and are pointless.

i dont mind Oneday cricket being limited to 3 or 4 major tournaments a year, which should include major teams

My point is One day cricket shouldn't be killed off
I disagree, but then I suppose we just like different things. I'd kill it off completely.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
ss 3 is not too many, if 2 is not too many. no other sports have even 2 different formats at the highest level. All of the formats are ok, but i like shorter ones personally. but point is all can stay. I don't think the odi's are pointless because bottom line you are trying to win and move up the rankings. 3-20/20 3-odi's and 3 tests should be how a tour is.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
^ lol good thing you are not incharge of ICC
I agree. I'd enforce a five match Test series, revoke a couple Test status, ban Zimbabwe, and remove all limited overs cricket. In other words, I'd bankrupt cricket, so its probably for the best.

ret

International Debutant
i think there is room for all the 3 formats .... i like all the 3 formats but my interest level would differ depending upon the series for e.g.

Ind vs SL test series < Ind vs SL ODI series
Ind vs NZ test series < Ind vs NZ ODI series
Ind vs WI test series < Ind vs WI ODI series

Ind vs Pak test series = Ind vs Pak ODI series
Ind vs Aus test series = Ind vs Aus ODI series
Ind vs Eng test series = Ind vs Eng ODI series
Ind vs SA test series = Ind vs RSA ODI series

ODI World Cup > T20 WC > any test series

IPL > any meaningless ODI series like the tri-series in BD, Zim/BD vs Pak ODI series, Eng vs NZ test series, Aus vs WI test series, NZ vs SL, SL vs Eng and so on

Mard

Banned
^ i agree with you 100%. I am glad there are fans of ODI"s still. Aslong as there are fans, i dont think it will die.

ret

International Debutant
^ i agree with you 100%. I am glad there are fans of ODI"s still. Aslong as there are fans, i dont think it will die.
yes .... so go to sleep with that nice thought or is it early morning in Peshawar