Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: Against One day cricket?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    213

    Against One day cricket?

    I have been noticing so many people over the last few months have turned against One Day cricket. Why is that? One day cricket should not die, 20/20 is ok but One day is so much better. The most memorable moments of cricket over the last 30 years have taken in One Day cricket. Why do people want to kill this format of the game?

    I agree we shouldn't play useless time wasting matches, but this is true for any format of the game. why single out ODIs?

  2. #2
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Mard View Post
    I have been noticing so many people over the last few months have turned against One Day cricket. Why is that? One day cricket should not die, 20/20 is ok but One day is so much better. The most memorable moments of cricket over the last 30 years have taken in One Day cricket. Why do people want to kill this format of the game?

    I agree we shouldn't play useless time wasting matches, but this is true for any format of the game. why single out ODIs?
    Because the majority of "useless time-wasting matches" at the moment are ODIs. I don't think you'll find many here who want ODIs gone altogether (although you will find some) but there are a lot of pointlessly long ODI series of which the outcome means little to anyone either way.

    The same isn't really true of Twenty20 games at the moment, as they're relatively rare. You'll usually find one international game per tour plus a lot of domestic stuff. This'll probably change soon enough and we'll see long and pointless Twenty20 series as well, but it's a nice amount at the moment really.

    A Test series is never pointless. In fact, if anything, Test series should be longer - too many of them are restricted to two or three Tests. The result is of most importance regardless of your opponent and each Test is memorable. Tests involving Bangladesh are probably the exception to this at the moment, but they are hardly pointless.
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    213
    ^ yeah i think they should only focus on having important oneday series. ICC should really do some thing about this before people start loosing interest on all Oneday matches

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I don't think you'll find many here who want ODIs gone altogether (although you will find some)
    Guilty.


    The whole format's just crap.


  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Guilty.


    The whole format's just crap.
    are you kidding??

    are you one of those who support 20/20 over ODI's

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    I prefer Twenty20 to ODIs, yes.

    It basically goes Tests >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> 20/20 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ODI

  7. #7
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Mard View Post
    he most memorable moments of cricket over the last 30 years have taken in One Day cricket. Why do people want to kill this format of the game?
    Perhaps for some, but certainly not for me. Not remotely so, in fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I don't think you'll find many here who want ODIs gone altogether (although you will find some)
    Guilty as charged.

    I personally don't want or like either Twenty20 or ODI, but three formats are too many and if I had to pick, I'd pick Twenty20 as the survivor.

    As others have said, I see no point in ODI games. They are too often boring and more often forgettable.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    213
    ^ maybe for some people like you they are forgettable, but not for every one. How are matches like India vs Pakistan forgettable?

    To me a test series between New Zeland and England like the one we had is forgettable. it was a such a dull series.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    213
    i think what needs to happen is, teams should play important series and forget about the friendly oneday matches series that are played after the test match series. Those take way long and are pointless.

    i dont mind Oneday cricket being limited to 3 or 4 major tournaments a year, which should include major teams

    My point is One day cricket shouldn't be killed off just because some people are not liking it
    Last edited by Mard; 16-06-2008 at 04:32 PM.

  10. #10
    State 12th Man jammay123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    london
    Posts
    730
    i dont think that odi's should be removed totally because i feel they are a good format but their is a severe saturation of the market. with the undeniable increase in the amount of 20/20 that will occur in the near future i think that the icc should make an odi's series a maximum of three matches and they shouls always be a build up to a test series eliminating the the tours with just odi's which are crap. having a lot less odi's would possibly make them more interesting and exiting when they are on.
    ENGLAND CB SERIES CHAMPS FUTURE WORLD CUP CHAMPS(2011) AND IN 2009 THE ASHES HOLDERS

    the official England 'patriotic cheerleader'

    Proud supporter of the England national cricket, football and rugby teams and of TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FOOTBALL CLUBS

    Msn: jammay123@hotmail.co.uk

    come on CW BLUE

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by jammay123 View Post
    i dont think that odi's should be removed totally because i feel they are a good format but their is a severe saturation of the market. with the undeniable increase in the amount of 20/20 that will occur in the near future i think that the icc should make an odi's series a maximum of three matches and they shouls always be a build up to a test series eliminating the the tours with just odi's which are crap. having a lot less odi's would possibly make them more interesting and exiting when they are on.

    yeah i agree with that.

  12. #12
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Mard View Post
    ^ maybe for some people like you they are forgettable, but not for every one. How are matches like India vs Pakistan forgettable?

    To me a test series between New Zeland and England like the one we had is forgettable. it was a such a dull series.
    It wasn't the best Test series, but I'd watch that rather than the tri-series we just had. I didn't watch as single ball, and I watched a lot of the England-New Zealand series.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mard View Post
    i think what needs to happen is, teams should play important series and forget about the friendly oneday matches series that are played after the test match series. Those take way long and are pointless.

    i dont mind Oneday cricket being limited to 3 or 4 major tournaments a year, which should include major teams

    My point is One day cricket shouldn't be killed off
    I disagree, but then I suppose we just like different things. I'd kill it off completely.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    213
    ^ lol good thing you are not incharge of ICC

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    213
    ^ and dont forget IPL is only popular in India, no where else its popular

  15. #15
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    ss 3 is not too many, if 2 is not too many. no other sports have even 2 different formats at the highest level. All of the formats are ok, but i like shorter ones personally. but point is all can stay. I don't think the odi's are pointless because bottom line you are trying to win and move up the rankings. 3-20/20 3-odi's and 3 tests should be how a tour is.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •