• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Against One day cricket?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
i think there is room for all the 3 formats .... i like all the 3 formats but my interest level would differ depending upon the series for e.g.

Ind vs SL test series < Ind vs SL ODI series
Ind vs NZ test series < Ind vs NZ ODI series
Ind vs WI test series < Ind vs WI ODI series

Ind vs Pak test series = Ind vs Pak ODI series
Ind vs Aus test series = Ind vs Aus ODI series
Ind vs Eng test series = Ind vs Eng ODI series
Ind vs SA test series = Ind vs RSA ODI series

ODI World Cup > T20 WC > any test series
So dire. Hopefully, if you stay on this site long enough, you'll become a cricket fan.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
i think there is room for all the 3 formats .... i like all the 3 formats but my interest level would differ depending upon the series for e.g.

Ind vs SL test series < Ind vs SL ODI series
Ind vs NZ test series < Ind vs NZ ODI series
Ind vs WI test series < Ind vs WI ODI series

Ind vs Pak test series = Ind vs Pak ODI series
Ind vs Aus test series = Ind vs Aus ODI series
Ind vs Eng test series = Ind vs Eng ODI series
Ind vs SA test series = Ind vs RSA ODI series

ODI World Cup > T20 WC > any test series

IPL > any meaningless ODI series like the tri-series in BD, Zim/BD vs Pak ODI series, Eng vs NZ test series, Aus vs WI test series, NZ vs SL, SL vs Eng and so on
I can't believe Aus vs Ind one day series is as vauled to you as the Aus vs Ind test series. :blink:

Also lol T20 WC over some test series..

ret

International Debutant
There is only one format of cricket. The rest are not cricket.
yeah, right :p

in fact the original version didn't have any limit to the number of days and the teams played till the 4th innings was completed

all the 3 current version are spinoffs of the original, the tests with 5 days limitation .... the ODIs with 50 overs' .... T20 with 20 overs

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't think I've ever wanted Australia to win a one day series as much as a test series.

Excluding like the World Cup and Champions Trophy.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

in fact the original version didn't have any limit to the number of days and the teams played till the 4th innings was completed
Yup, timeless Tests. So?

all the 3 current version are spinoffs of the original, the tests with 5 days limitation .... the ODIs with 50 overs' .... T20 with 20 overs
Obviously they are spin offs. That doesn't make them equivalent. When you remove what (to me) is fundamental to the game, it's not the same game.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

I finkin bout thiz new crkt game, itz called Ten10 - its mad ey s0 many sixas.

my wrld Ten10 team
top order: Jayasuriya Afridi McCullum
middle order: Symonds Pietersen Oram Watson
lower order: Vettori Lee Taylor Bracken

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Yup, timeless Tests. So?

Obviously they are spin offs. That doesn't make them equivalent. When you remove what (to me) is fundamental to the game, it's not the same game.
all 3 has the fundamentals of the game...bowler bowls the batsmen defends the wicket/ hits the ball.

ret

International Debutant
I finkin bout thiz new crkt game, itz called Ten10 - its mad ey s0 many sixas.
in fact, i like 10-10 too .... we used to play that in school

the version that i enjoy the most playing is the short pitch one, where the bowler just THROWS the TENNIS ball as fast as he can or spins it a mile

LA ICE-E

State Captain
To you, those are the fundamentals. To me, what you described is not very different from baseball.
baseball doesn't have a wicket. the fundamentals of the 2 games aren't that different besides wickets being replaced by baseball and a pitcher pitches.

ret

International Debutant
Yup, timeless Tests. So?

the key fundamentals of old cricket were 4 completed innings and timeless cricket. which to implies that the focus was on getting a result, along with a keen contest

when you add time to it as in tests in form of 5 days, those fundamentals get killed with the likelihood of a draw and with 4 innings not being played on occasions

when you add limited overs to it, the fundamentals get killed again with respect to playing 4 innings but the surety of result [except for unfortunate abandoned games] comes in

the different formats if you see are nothing more than an effort to capture some of that essence of old cricket in one way or the other .... it's not like any one of them captures the essence of old cricket completely so your argument that one format is the real one is inherently flawed

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
the key fundamentals of old cricket were 4 completed innings and timeless cricket. which to implies that the focus was on getting a result, along with a keen contest

when you add time to it as in tests in form of 5 days, those fundamentals get killed with the likelihood of a draw and with 4 innings not being played on occasions

when you add limited overs to it, the fundamentals get killed again with respect to playing 4 innings but the surety of result [except for unfortunate abandoned games] comes in

the different formats if you see are nothing more than an effort to capture some of that essence of old cricket in one way or the other .... it's not like any one of them captures the essence of old cricket completely so your argument that one format is the real one is inherently flawed
How does 20/20 capture 'old cricket' in a way that 50 over cricket doesn't?

ret

International Debutant
How does 20/20 capture 'old cricket' in a way that 50 over cricket doesn't?
we even had 60 overs and 55 overs cricket before 50 overs got universally accepted. I heard that some countries like Pak had 40 or 45 overs cricket

so there was no benchmark that limited overs cricket should be 50 overs as you are thinking .... it can be 60, 55, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25 and even 20

the T20 is a version catered towards a different market segment

Last edited: