Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 666

Thread: ***Official*** Asia Cup

  1. #1
    ret
    ret is offline
    International Debutant ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,890

    ***Official*** Asia Cup

    the tourney begins in Pakistan on June 24th .... the final is on July 6th

    Fixtures

    HK and UAE join the 4 teams from the subcontinent

    the teams are divided into 2 groups of 3 teams each, then the top two from each group battle it out in another round-robin format to decide the two finalists

    i guess that Ind would have learned the lesson to not pack its side with too many batsmen from the experience in BD tri-series .... Dhoni has been winning most of the tournament so in a way it's good to have lost an irrelevant tri-series like the BD and learn some lessons out of it and more importantly not repeat them in the Asia Cup

    my recommendation for the X1 for the first few games

    1 to 3 ----> Sehwag, Gambhir and Rohit
    4 to 7 ----> Yuvi, Dhoni, Raina or Yusuf and Irfan
    8 to 11 ----> Praveen, Chawla, Gony or RP and Ishant
    Fastest gun in town

  2. #2
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,719
    Will Sreesanth be fit for the tournament? I'd certainly back him as a better ODI option than RP Singh. They're both pretty dire in that format at the moment but Sreesanth has shown improvement at times - RP's performances are actually getting worse after a pretty decent start. Totally opposite situation in Tests, though.

    Looking forward to seeing how Mendis goes, assuming he plays.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  3. #3
    International Coach duffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So appalled...
    Posts
    11,623
    Oh man, another ODI tournament

    Ah well, wouldn't mind seeing Ojha and Gony get a go, especially for that Hong Kong game. No need to rush back injured players for this.

  4. #4
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    391
    this is like the summer of irrelevant cricket. dropping down from 6 to 4 teams LOL. should be straight to a final (or best of 3 final).


  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    213
    I love one day cricket please dont kill it

  6. #6
    U19 Debutant Jonty Lathwal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Haryana,India
    Posts
    376
    will b interesting 2 see how Hong Kong & UAE perform.......
    "I have seen God. He bats at number 4 for India" - Mathew Hayden

    Greatest Fan of Master Blaster Sir Sachin Tendulkar

    Addicted to International Cricket Captain.

    Ajit Agarkar Rocks.

    **Proud** fan of Chris Martin's Batting.
    Yousuf Pathan : The Time Is Now.

    Terrorism Sucks

    You will be missed:-
    Sourav Ganguly , Anil Kumble , Jonty Rhodes , Chris Cairns , Adam Gilchrist , Heath Streak , Micheal Bevan , Robin Singh

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,695
    Quote Originally Posted by ret View Post
    the tourney begins in Pakistan on June 24th .... the final is on July 6th

    Fixtures

    HK and UAE join the 4 teams from the subcontinent

    the teams are divided into 2 groups of 3 teams each, then the top two from each group battle it out in another round-robin format to decide the two finalists

    i guess that Ind would have learned the lesson to not pack its side with too many batsmen from the experience in BD tri-series .... Dhoni has been winning most of the tournament so in a way it's good to have lost an irrelevant tri-series like the BD and learn some lessons out of it and more importantly not repeat them in the Asia Cup

    my recommendation for the X1 for the first few games

    1 to 3 ----> Sehwag, Gambhir and Rohit
    4 to 7 ----> Yuvi, Dhoni, Raina or Yusuf and Irfan
    8 to 11 ----> Praveen, Chawla, Gony or RP and Ishant
    Agree with that team but would probably like to see Ojha get a game in somewhere, preferably when Chawla is also there. Teams are not used to facing two good (at least on potential) spinners in ODIs and sometimes it tends to get a bit suffocating against good spinners in the middle overs even for good batsmen. Inspite of the loss in the final, I still think the signs are very good from the Indian ODI side... so let's hope we win this one and continue our improvement.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  8. #8
    Cricketer Of The Year Arjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    8,369
    Should we forget the Asia Cup and that silly tournament in Bangladesh ever happened? After all, there is so much cricket going on these days, the only ODI tournaments that matter are the World Cup and the Champions' Trophy, and possibly those events involving Australia.

    Even if we don't ignore these events, should performances in Asia Cups be taken seriously? After all, there is this trend of not recognising performances by Asian players against other Asian teams, and only looking at what they do against other top teams.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

    Twenty20 used to be boring.

    Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

  9. #9
    Cricketer Of The Year Arjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    8,369
    Sanath makes a comeback here, yet again. Let's just hope he retires before he runs out of steam, totally, like his counterparts across the strait. Then again, will he play as a full-time bowler for SL?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    Should we forget the Asia Cup and that silly tournament in Bangladesh ever happened? After all, there is so much cricket going on these days, the only ODI tournaments that matter are the World Cup and the Champions' Trophy, and possibly those events involving Australia.

    Even if we don't ignore these events, should performances in Asia Cups be taken seriously? After all, there is this trend of not recognising performances by Asian players against other Asian teams, and only looking at what they do against other top teams.

    May be for indians its too much cricket, but remember outside india almost no one cares about IPL. I am in pakistan and heck i didn't watch IPL or ICL at all, no body cares here despite them having pakistani players. For us its not enough cricket. Pakistan hasn't played a major tournament in a while now. Playing for a country is the pride, not for some stupid league matches

  11. #11
    Cricketer Of The Year Arjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    8,369
    Looking at the performance of the England team in a recent ODI against the Kiwis, there are a couple of points to take home from there. To begin with, Pietersen's innings was an example. We know Pietersen is famous for his huge (occasionally back-handed) hits, but more importantly, he had his focus on a big innings. He built partnerships- sizeable ones at that, and the contribution of his partners, few as they were, cannot be ignored. They tried to help him build those partnerships, without trying to be heroes to save their places in the XI. If one Indian (mostly Yuvraj) does that, they won't need to stack their team with seven batsmen trying to be heroes.

    While the bowlers shared the wickets equally, the performance of Graeme Swann was noteworthy. He's no world-class spinner, but two wickets for 45 runs was definitely something of note. Likewise, the four wickets taken by Collingwood (albeit against the tail end) prove that a stock bowler can be very useful. The Indians have Yusuf Pathan, who can do just as well for them, if given a chance- and certainly a lot better than those mediocre part-timers. That is, if they don't go back to playing five bowlers again- which might be the best idea.

  12. #12
    Cricketer Of The Year Arjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    8,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Mard View Post
    May be for indians its too much cricket, but remember outside india almost no one cares about IPL. I am in pakistan and heck i didn't watch IPL or ICL at all, no body cares here despite them having pakistani players. For us its not enough cricket. Pakistan hasn't played a major tournament in a while now. Playing for a country is the pride, not for some stupid league matches
    This has nothing to do with the IPL. This is about the excessive volume of cricket played, particularly by the subcontinental teams. Surely some tournaments can be skipped, with the focus on the more important ones. You cut out those silly matches, and you'd get as many matches as New Zealand gets each season.

  13. #13
    ret
    ret is offline
    International Debutant ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,890
    the BD tri-series was irrelevant, not the Asia Cup .... Asia Cup has a long history and ranks amongst one of the better tournaments, probably 3rd after the WC and Champions Trophy

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    This has nothing to do with the IPL. This is about the excessive volume of cricket played, particularly by the subcontinental teams. Surely some tournaments can be skipped, with the focus on the more important ones. You cut out those silly matches, and you'd get as many matches as New Zealand gets each season.

    but again what are you talking? this year hasn't seen any major international tournaments so far. I think Asia cup is the first big one.

  15. #15
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,719
    Quote Originally Posted by ret View Post
    the BD tri-series was irrelevant, not the Asia Cup .... Asia Cup has a long history and ranks amongst one of the better tournaments, probably 3rd after the WC and Champions Trophy
    Yeah, I agree really. A lot of the long ODI segments of tours should be cut down a fair biy, but I don't mind the idea of this one. If anything, the overly large number of ODIs played in other tours is the main reason this tournament isn't more widely received.

    Personally I think the Champions Trophy is pretty pointless; I actually wouldn't mind to see that killed off. It's basically just a World Cup no-one truly cares about - either let it die completely or let the World Cup legitimately be staged every two years.

    I don't mind the Asia Cup though - decent concept. It makes the Kiptly Cup an utterly ridiculous tournament though, given the timing.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 17-06-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* CW U19s Tour of Asia
    By chaminda_00 in forum CW Under-19 Cricket
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 09:38 PM
  2. **Official** World XI v Asia XI
    By Mister Wright in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 623
    Last Post: 28-02-2005, 08:34 AM
  3. **Official** Asia Cup 2004 Thread
    By Deja moo in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 574
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 11:19 AM
  4. *Official Asia Cup Thread*
    By NikhilN in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 18-06-2004, 06:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •