• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey - Is he now human?

Can Mike Hussey be now considered to be in a form slump?

• Total voters

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I think he had the misfortune of being slightly overated when he first came onto the scene, which is understandable, as he was (and still is a total gun). I'd still rate him as in the top 5 batsman in the world at the moment, and as Gelman says, he still looks class, even though he isn't making the runs. Still one of my favourite players.

tooextracool

International Coach
He made his debut when he was going through his purple patch. Its like if Chanderpaul was picked to play right now, hed probably be close to averaging 100 too. His average will go down, the real question for me though is about how well he will fare in India.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He made his debut when he was going through his purple patch. Its like if Chanderpaul was picked to play right now, hed probably be close to averaging 100 too. His average will go down, the real question for me though is about how well he will fare in India.
That's his ultimate test. We all know what happened to Mark Waugh when he played on SL pitches and to Ponting whwn he played on Indian pitches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mark Waugh in Sri Lanka is one thing in cricket that has never failed to truly baffle me. Even if you're poor against spin (which Mark Waugh categorically was not) to do as poorly as he did in two separate tours of Sri Lanka is astonishing.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Mark Waugh in Sri Lanka is one thing in cricket that has never failed to truly baffle me. Even if you're poor against spin (which Mark Waugh categorically was not) to do as poorly as he did in two separate tours of Sri Lanka is astonishing.
Well it's like Ponting, it happens to the best of players.

Precambrian

Banned
Even Ponting in India hasn't done as execrably as Mark Waugh did in Sri Lanka.
Ponting has excavated new depths of misery on Indian dustbowls on 3 seperate tours. That's one more tour than Mark.

As regards Hussey, he was jus over rated. He is a good player, but not as good as his averages indicated. Simply because those were primarily made in Australia, where he's played all his life's cricket, in those 5 or 6 grounds. So it was inevitable that he tasted setback when toured, against reasonably good bowling on different pitches. Hussey's bradmanly averages were byproduct of Australia's too-less-touring in the past few years. That is likely to change in the next 2 years.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting has excavated new depths of misery on Indian dustbowls on 3 seperate tours. That's one more tour than Mark.
Only two of those tours he was in for all of the Tests, though. So in reality it's only two full tours just like Mark and I don't recall Ponting scoring 4 globes in a row against what was a far inferior bowling attack on both occasions too. Even if Ponting fails this time, he's still above Mark Waugh in SL.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...=8;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

EDIT: Worse than I thought; half of his knocks are ducks and over half of all the runs he's scored in SL came in one inning. Ouch!

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Only two of those tours he was in for all of the Tests, though. So in reality it's only two full tours just like Mark and I don't recall Ponting scoring 4 globes in a row against what was a far inferior bowling attack on both occasions too. Even if Ponting fails this time, he's still above Mark Waugh in SL.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...=8;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

EDIT: Worse than I thought; half of his knocks are ducks and over half of all the runs he's scored in SL came in one inning. Ouch!
I remember Waugh's first series against SL in SL. I think it was 91/92? Have not looked at that link yet, T_C. Incidentally the same series in which Murali made his debut, Warne made his first overseas tour (and Marvan finally scored a run - although even then it was, iirc, pad and not bat pad). He (Waugh) was awful in that series. I would say it was bad form but I have never seen anyone of his class look so much like they would never score a run in their lives, against a pretty poor SL attack too, and on wickets that werent dustbowls either in those days. Dont know what it was. It seems to have just been one of those things.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember Waugh's first series against SL in SL. I think it was 91/92? Have not looked at that link yet, T_C. Incidentally the same series in which Murali made his debut, Warne made his first overseas tour (and Marvan finally scored a run - although even then it was, iirc, pad and not bat pad). He (Waugh) was awful in that series. I would say it was bad form but I have never seen anyone of his class look so much like they would never score a run in their lives, against a pretty poor SL attack too, and on wickets that werent dustbowls either in those days. Dont know what it was. It seems to have just been one of those things.
Yep, have never seen a Test-class batsman struggle as much as he did on that first tour especially. Just a mental block of some sort because as soon as he got back to Aus to face the WI, was back in the runs against Ambi, Bish, Benjamin, etc., including a great ton in Melbourne. It's tempting to say he didn't do so well against attacks he didn't rate but then, he did fairly regularly belt Zimbabwe around.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Waugh's poor run in Sri Lanka was getting out to the seamers and not the spinners.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey is in the trough of his career - that all batsmen go through. He'll be back.

:ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Waugh's poor run in Sri Lanka was getting out to the seamers and not the spinners.
It was certainly more seamers than spinners. Vaas got him twice in 1999/2000, as Ramanayake had in 1992. He also fell to Duleep Liyange and Wickremasinghe once each, and the part-time seam of Chandika Hathurusinghe once too.

Over both series, Muralitharan got him three times, and he was the only spinner he fell to.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember Waugh's first series against SL in SL. I think it was 91/92? Have not looked at that link yet, T_C. Incidentally the same series in which Murali made his debut, Warne made his first overseas tour (and Marvan finally scored a run - although even then it was, iirc, pad and not bat pad).
Always been amazed at the fact that Warne and Murali (both utter novices) faced-off in that series, when I found-out. So wish there was some footage of it (which, as I say above, I've always been led to believe there was not).

If anyone had told you that you were watching the two wristspinners who would one day twirl their way to the top of the Test wicket-taking pile, leaving all others far behind, you'd have laughed, as each played second-fiddle to a middling fingerspinner in Anurasiri and Matthews respectibly.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was certainly more seamers than spinners. Vaas got him twice in 1999/2000, as Ramanayake had in 1992. He also fell to Duleep Liyange and Wickremasinghe once each, and the part-time seam of Chandika Hathurusinghe once too.

Over both series, Muralitharan got him three times, and he was the only spinner he fell to.
Well, why did you bring up the point about Waugh being good against spin if he was getting out to seamers? Seems an irrelevant point to me.

JBH001

International Regular
Yep, have never seen a Test-class batsman struggle as much as he did on that first tour especially. Just a mental block of some sort because as soon as he got back to Aus to face the WI, was back in the runs against Ambi, Bish, Benjamin, etc., including a great ton in Melbourne. It's tempting to say he didn't do so well against attacks he didn't rate but then, he did fairly regularly belt Zimbabwe around.
Yep, I dont buy that does not belt attacks he does not rate, either. As you say, he slammed Zim around, but even so, one would expect him to score a cameo 30 odd and give away his wicket out of sheer boredom. His first series in SL really was inexplicable while his second was more understandable as Murali and Vaas were hitting their straps at that time (and Vaas especially has the ability to make a particular good batsman look like a hapless bunny against him). It really was, I think, one of those things.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It seems the Indian tour this fall is THE LITMUS TEST for many stars in the Aussie lineup.
Only Ponting, Hussey and Lee really, and even then its not do or die for them. Probably Stuart Clark too actually. Can't really see how Clarke, Hayden, Haddin, Katich or even Jaques will be categorically said to be 'good' or 'not' based on this series.