• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be Oz's 2nd opener in their next test series?

Hayden's next partner

• Total voters

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The last test vs WI isnt simply interesting because it's test cricket, but also because some critical positions are up for grabs.

Whilst most focus has been on Australia's lack of a spinner and choice of 3rd paceman, the choice of who partners a presumably fit Hayden next time out is also contentious

The serious contenders seem to be Jaques, Katich, Watson and, to a far lesser extent, Hughes and Marsh

Here's my summary of the situation

Jaques - looks like he's struggling, verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry ugly, but the guy has a very good test and fc record AND has pulled out a big one today under great pressure

Katich - another incredibly ugly player who was gone for all money last year but has bounced back with a stack of fc runs, is scoring runs out of position, handy bowler BUT shells catches easier than peas

Watson - IMO, best bat of the lot but why sacrifice him as opener

Hughes and Marsh - score more runs

Personally, I'd continue with Jaques.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Would have to be Jaques. He's plainly in pretty average form at the moment and still grinding away runs. Great player when in full flight (as everyone saw with those absurdly good few seasons he had in England and Australia).

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, what's with the exclusion of Rogers from the poll? He's comfortably Australia's number three opening batsman and if Hayden went tomorrow I'd be opening with him and Jaques.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, what's with the exclusion of Rogers from the poll? He's comfortably Australia's number three opening batsman and if Hayden went tomorrow I'd be opening with him and Jaques.
Tell me how to edit the poll and I'll do it but he's miles behind the guys batting at present

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jaques, has to be. No way has he done poorly enough to be excluded.

Just wish Katich had got back in last year instead of Symonds now. 8-) And with them being the same age, unlikely that he'd be able to take Symonds' place if he had the massive run of low scores he deserves.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This innings cements Kathich's place? As an opposition fan, I'd rather see Jacques in India, but Katich might have done enough to earn that spot.

pasag

RTDAS
Nah, it'll be Katich that gets the chop, regardless of this innings, though no doubt he'll be next in line for any position 1-6 should any of the existing batsman go down.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Selectors could go for jaques and Katich. Not likely but considering how they have both scored runs and how Hayden is getting closer to retirement they might...

Craig

World Traveller
I wish it was Katich, but he is the fall guy so he will get the axe. He could score 277* and probably would still face the chop :dry:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Katich will go when Hayden comes back. He was always a stand-in opener for this series and he'll have been told that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Katich will go when Hayden comes back. He was always a stand-in opener for this series and he'll have been told that.
Indeed. It's not really a matter of looking over all the candidates and choosing the best one, as Jaques is already in the side as such; Katich is just filling in. Katich has played well but Jaques's performances have hardly warranted a dropping from the "best XI". If he didn't get this latest ton he'd probably be on shaky ground, but it'll secure his place regardless of what Katich scores.

Laurrz

International Debutant
will be - jaques
wish it was - katich

ultimately would be cruel not to play jaques so yea

will be interesting who indians prefer, Jaques didn't do too bad against em last summer

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Ultimately the selectors have the ability to surprise us. But really, even if Katich is a stand-in and has performed better then Jaques, then why should he not get picked ahead of him (Jaques)? If you are going on performance, then what the hell more does Katich have to do then?

Rant aside, is is still a pretty good position to be in.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ultimately the selectors have the ability to surprise us. But really, even if Katich is a stand-in and has performed better then Jaques, then why should he not get picked ahead of him (Jaques)?.
Because Jaques is in the team, and does not deserve to be dropped based on what he's done so far in his career. Katich may be playing but he's not in the team as such.

then what the hell more does Katich have to do then?
Your destiny is not always in your own hands. He can't really do any more, but that's just how it is.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
For Indian tour Katich looks the best, because hecan play spin very well, much better than Jaques IMO. When Hayden retires Jaques can take his place, until then Katich should play. He'll add to the variety of bowling as well.

Craig

World Traveller
Ah the old incumbency thing :dry: So if he didn't get that ton last night would he have been dropped then?