Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashraf blasts Pakistan for embarassing loss

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Ashraf blasts Pakistan for embarassing loss

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/kitp...ry/354447.html

What the hell? Why exactly is the chairman of the board discussing tactics?

Full email

Quite embarrassing. You can't be the best in the world with this crap going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

PCB continues to be an embarrasment. In fact, anything related to Pakistan cricket these days is an embarrasment. This is the height of stupidity. Why is the Chairman blasting his team in public with an e-mail? If he has concerns, then he should talk to the team leadership in private. If he feels they are not responding, then fire them! Don't make a freaking soap opera out of the situation. This incident cements my opinion of Ashraf: He is incompetent and should be fired.

Who appoints these people ? Well at least one good thing that came out of this episode is that Altaf is fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    PCB continues to be an embarrasment. In fact, anything related to Pakistan cricket these days is an embarrasment. This is the height of stupidity. Why is the Chairman blasting his team in public with an e-mail? If he has concerns, then he should talk to the team leadership in private. If he feels they are not responding, then fire them! Don't make a freaking soap opera out of the situation. This incident cements my opinion of Ashraf: He is incompetent and should be fired.
    The chairman has no business in cricket matters. He is an administrator, not a cricketer. Why is he even talking about spinners, team selection, team strategy? That's not his job. Hell even in private, I'd be annoyed if he did all that. It would be like Afridi talking about the PCB's strategy for negotiation of a TV deal....

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The chairman has no business in cricket matters. He is an administrator, not a cricketer. Why is he even talking about spinners, team selection, team strategy? That's not his job. Hell even in private, I'd be annoyed if he did all that. It would be like Afridi talking about the PCB's strategy for negotiation of a TV deal....
    Yeah I agree. His job is to find competent people to coach and select the Pakistani team. If he thinks they are not doing a good job, then he needs to fire them. He can't interfere to this extent and he certainly shouldn't handle the matter in public like he has.

Hmm, whilst I agree that the board should generally leave the cricketing matters to the cricketers, the management should be answerable to someone and if things are falling to pieces, their employers are entitled to know what's going on. Now obviously with all the specific orders he over steps the line, but it's not as if it was a public email or anything so I can't see what all the hate is about tbh.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Hmm, whilst I agree that the board should generally leave the cricketing matters to the cricketers, the management should be answerable to someone and if things are falling to pieces, their employers are entitled to know what's going on. Now obviously with all the specific orders he over steps the line, but it's not as if it was a public email or anything so I can't see what all the hate is about tbh.
    Hmmm, it appears I didn't have my facts straight on this. My primary anger towards Ashraf was due to the e-mail being made public. I thought he had released the e-mail himself. Now that I stick my head out of the sand, I realize that the e-mail was leaked to the press by Altaf, who's since been fired. That subsides my anger towards Ashraf somewhat in this instance, but I still say he's out of line for interfering in team selection matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Hmmm, it appears I didn't have my facts straight on this. My primary anger towards Ashraf was due to the e-mail being made public. I thought he had released the e-mail himself. Now that I stick my head out of the sand, I realize that the e-mail was leaked to the press by Altaf, who's since been fired. That subsides my anger towards Ashraf somewhat in this instance, but I still say he's out of line for interfering in team selection matters.
    Yeah I do think he has over stepped the line, somewhat, but he should have the right to demand answers from his employees if the team looks like it's going down the drain. The cricket management shouldn't have a free reign to get away with whatever they want and as it stands they have the opportunity to explain themselves and justify their actions.

I think the real question here is why you have fellow board members leaking such damaging emails.

See, I don't think this is true. Sure, the management should be answerable to someone, but the chairman of the board is not a cricketer, he is an administrator. You have cricketing people, such as perhaps the selectors, who can take care of all this. This guy is not a cricketer, and does not have a cricketing job. His job is to pick guys who know their cricket, and they would handle all of this. Giving strategies to the team management is ridiculous. What exactly makes him qualified for that?

I'd be like me being elected to the Mumbai Board as an administrator, and then calling in Sachin Tendulkar to scold him about his technique.....my job may be to hire the coach or the selector, and I may fire him if results are not achieved, but as a suit, I have no business telling crickters about cricket.

If I were Lawson or Malik, I'd tell him to take that email and shove it up his ass.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 12-06-2008 at 02:17 PM.

See, I don't think this is true. Sure, the management should be answerable to someone, but the chairman of the board is not a cricketer, he is an administrator. You have cricketing people, such as perhaps the selectors, who can take care of all this. This guy is not a cricketer, and does not have a cricketing job. His job is to pick guys who know their cricket, and they would handle all of this. Giving strategies to the team management is ridiculous. What exactly makes him qualified for that?

I'd be like me being elected to the Mumbai Board as an administrator, and then calling in Sachin Tendulkar to scold him about his technique.....my job may be to hire the coach or the selector, and I may fire him if results are not achieved, but as a suit, I have no business telling crickters about cricket.

If I were Lawson or Malik, I'd tell him to take that email and shove it up his ass.
    That's silly, at the end of the day the buck stops with him to ensure everything is going smoothly in Pakistani cricket not just from an administrative point of view but from a cricketing one as well. If the playing group has visible issues he has every right to bring it up and demand answers. These people hire and fire the coaching staff so it's only logical that they check on their progress, demand results and question things as they see fit (obviously if it happens continuously and starts impeding things, it's not on, however here after a record loss, they have full right to feel aggrieved). Complete non-issue here.

That's silly, at the end of the day the buck stops with him to ensure everything is going smoothly in Pakistani cricket not just from an administrative point of view but from a cricketing one as well. If the playing group has visible issues he has every right to bring it up and demand answers.
    Again, he has every right to demand answers for any administrative issues/behavioral issues, and in the end, the results are his responsibility via his appointments of selectors, coach, etc. It's not his job to criticize specific strategy of the team in the field. He has no expertise in it!

First Class Debutant
    How the heck this email is in the public view ? Pakistan cricket Board is a joke .

Again, he has every right to demand answers for any administrative issues/behavioral issues, and in the end, the results are his responsibility via his appointments of selectors, coach, etc. It's not his job to criticize specific strategy of the team in the field. He has no expertise in it!
    If cricketing related matters are going wrong he has every right to ask questions and I'd expect that from the head of any organisation. I wouldn't want them interfering on a constant basis and I wouldn't want them overriding cricketing decisions if there's a difference in POV but I would want him making sure that the people on the ground are held accountable, if that means asking specific questions when things go wrong even if it's not in his expertise then that's what he can and is entitled to do, especially in an away from public capacity (as this email was intended).

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I also just cannot get away from the fact that I feel cricket boards are far better if chairmen\CEOs\etc. understand and have a real feel for the game. It's difficult, in that said role cannot possibly be integrated with the CoS, that's completely impractical. And obviously, one board-employee cannot be trying to do another's job. But for the chairman of the board to have feelings on who should be playing and doing what is not neccessarily a bad thing, as it shows he has feeling for the game.

High-placed administrators have to have a feel for the game, and the more feel they have for it the better.

This is not in any way a comment on Nasim Ashraf, who I've long regarded with quite some suspicion, especially compared to his relatively decent predecessors Taqir Zia and Shaharyah Khan (the latter especially who always generally impressed me).
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/kitp...ry/354447.html

What the hell? Why exactly is the chairman of the board discussing tactics?

Full email

Quite embarrassing. You can't be the best in the world with this crap going on.
    Going by that email Dr. Nasim Ashraf speaks a lot of sense; practically all his points and critiques are absolutely spot on.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information