• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Bloodless Coup

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/354405.html

It's a bit of an overreaction. I don't see how it can be a bad thing - the target audience for the two formats are completely different. The only problem I have with Stanford's proposal is that its not longer (e.g, not a tournament), but I don't think getting someone injecting money into the game is bad.

Although this is quite dire:
In fact, there is a fine line between a kiss of life and a smothering, because the greatest fear about the day's events was the one that Stanford singularly failed to allay. When asked his opinion of Test cricket, he responded baldly: "I find it boring, but I'm not a purist." Then, in a sweeping metaphor about the architecture at Lord's, he went on to liken the "1700s" pavilion to the Test game, and the "Eye in the Sky" media centre to Twenty20s. "Test cricket is the foundation, that's where cricket came from. Twenty20 is the future, that's where the money is."
But really, I bet a bunch of IPL owners feel the same way, so I don't think its much of an issue.

How awesome would it be if the international calender only consisted of Test cricket and all these hit and giggle stuff would be done via clubs and tournaments like these?

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Plus, the IPL needs some real competition and this, I hope, becomes such a competition eventually. English, Australian and Indian cricketers are fine, but other countries cricketers don't make anything, and maybe the quadrangular tournament by Stanford, or the IPL will allow them to secure their future.

Langeveldt

Soutie
How awesome would it be if the international calender only consisted of Test cricket and all these hit and giggle stuff would be done via clubs and tournaments like these?
Would be an acceptable comprimise.. But where would the players come from? The line they trot out at the moment in England (and SA) is that the provincial clubs are feeders for the test teams..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England, SA and everywhere else. Obviously, if Twenty20 were completely confined to domestic cricket it's be overwhelmingly preferable, but that'd require the domestic-First-Class game to be maintained alongside domestic-Twenty20. Else there'd be no Test cricket.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/354575.html

Gilly compares IPL to olympics in terms of atmosphere, and Ponting and Hussey are worried about the priority of Test cricket.
It's a pretty good comparison by Gilly. I happened to be in both countries for both events and the feelings were comparable. Although I'm interested to see if the excitement level is the same next year. Knowing Indians though, having proper cricket on every night prime time won't be frowned on by too many people I imagine.