• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thank **** He Is Injured

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine there is a big Test series coming up for your country.

Which opposition player would you be most happy to miss out to give your team the best chance of victory?

My Team- England

Sri- Murali
India- Dravid
Pak- Shoaib
Aus- Ponting
NZ- Oram
WI- Chanderpaul
SA- Kallis

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
My Team- India

Sri- Muttiah Muralitharan
England- Ryan Sidebottom
Pak- Mohammad Yousuf
Aus- Brett Lee/Stuart Clark
NZ- Brendon McCullum
WI- Shiv Chanderpaul
SA- Dale Steyn

masterblaster

International Captain

Which opposition player would you be most happy to miss out to give your team the best chance of victory?

My Team- England

Sri- Murali
India- Dravid
Pak- Shoaib
Aus- Ponting
NZ- Oram
WI- Chanderpaul
SA- Kallis
As an Indian supporter I'd probably have to say Tendulkar being injured plays into an opponent's hands more. Tendulkar is such an icon and has this great ability to inspire his fellow Indian team mates. In the past whenever he used to be injured, that was a huge mental victory to the opposition and the young Indian players would be left saying 'Oh crap'!

While Dravid is probably India's backbone and most dependable batsman, Sachin has a huge aura about him that really lifts India when he is playing and really lifts the opposition side when he's not playing.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I always want the opposition at full strengh and have done ever since 1977 when Australia came to England without Chappell and Lillee and the following year when we slaughtered Pakerlesstan.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As an Indian supporter I'd probably have to say Tendulkar being injured plays into an opponent's hands more. Tendulkar is such an icon and has this great ability to inspire his fellow Indian team mates. In the past whenever he used to be injured, that was a huge mental victory to the opposition and the young Indian players would be left saying 'Oh crap'!

While Dravid is probably India's backbone and most dependable batsman, Sachin has a huge aura about him that really lifts India when he is playing and really lifts the opposition side when he's not playing.
Its a personal opinion thing. To me, without Dravid India feel 'flighty'. They may not be worse but they feel more vulnerable

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

My Team- England

Sri- Murali
India- Dravid
Pak- Shoaib
Aus- Ponting
NZ- Oram
WI- Chanderpaul
SA- Kallis
As an England supporter too, I'd agree with most of those except:

Aus - Brett Lee (as their back-up batting is a better than back-up bowling)

Also, maybe for NZ Vettori, and for India Tendulkar.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My team India:

Aus- Hayden
Lanka - Sangakarra
Pak- Younis Khan
S.Africa- Steyn
Windies- Chanderpaul
NZ - Oram
England - KP

masterblaster

International Captain
My team India:

Aus- Hayden
Lanka - Sangakarra
Pak- Younis Khan
S.Africa- Steyn
Windies- Chanderpaul
NZ - Oram
England - KP
I'd agree with that. Although in the past Jayasuriya has been India's biggest danger man without doubt. I remember him smacking the likes of Srinath, Prasad and Agarkar time and time again.

As for Pakistan, Younis is a good choice but Afridi loves batting against India especially in tests (for some odd reason) and is generally a real danger with bat and ball. Oram and Bond demolished India I remember back in 2002 when we had that disastrous tour so I'd agree with that.

Rest seems on the money.

leepayne

School Boy/Girl Captain
England

Australia: Brett Lee
India: Sachin Tendulkar
New Zealand: Daniel Vettori
Pakistan: Mohammad Yousuf
South Africa: Dale Steyn
Sri Lanka: Muttiah Muralidaran
West Indies: Shivnarine Chanderpaul

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I always want the opposition at full strengh and have done ever since 1977 when Australia came to England without Chappell and Lillee and the following year when we slaughtered Pakerlesstan.
I always tend to want every cricket team to play with its strongest possible combination, and never like to see either injuries or baffling selections. Partly because this leaves the "ah well we only lost because ... didn't play" crap open to anyone who wants a way around "we were second-best", but also partly because I'm more concerned for the game of cricket than any team.

However, if I was concerned only with victory for whoever I was supporting, the players I'd most want to see the back of at the current time...
Australia - Stuart Clark (not only is he probably their best bowler, he is the bowler who holds the attack together for mine, and you'd need three or four batsmen to be missing before the line-up was weakened all that much)
England - Michael Vaughan (for both good batting at number three and the fact that when he's absent there's headless-chicken effect in the captaincy)
India - Sachin Tendulkar (for the reasons Sangrah alluded to about both the calibre of batsmanship and the inspirational qualities - aside from the fact I think he's finally re-established the fact he's India's best batsman)
New Zealand - Jacob Oram (pretty much the only player currently available who I'd be really properly worried about taking a game away from us, with both bat and ball under the right circumstances)
Pakistan - Younis Khan (unquestionably the best batsman in the team for mine, and both seamers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif are excluded as their international careers may be over with differing percentage chances)
South Africa - Jacques Kallis (really needs no explanation, far and away the best batsman AND a useful change seamer)
Sri Lanka - Muttiah Muralitharan (again, needs no explanation)
West Indies - Shivnarine Chanderpaul (ditto for the third time in a row)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Aussie

England - Pietersen
SA - Kallis
WI - Chanderpaul
NZ - McCullum
IND - Tendulkar
SL - Sangakarra
PAK - Yousuf

Isura

U19 Captain
My Team - Sri Lanka

Aus - Lee
Eng - Pietersen
Ind - Sachin
Pak - Yousef
SA - Kallis
WI - Chanderpaul
NZ - Bond
Bang - Ashraful
Zim - lol

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia

England: Currently, Ryan Sidebottom but usually Freddie
India: Sachin
NZ: Jac Oram right now but usually Shane Bond
SL: Murali
WI: Shiv Chanderpaul
Pakistan: Unsure; probably Mohammed Yousuf (can I be honest and say I had to look up the side?) in the current but usually Shoaib by far
SA: Jacques Kallis

Nothing too startling there.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Australia

Eng: Pietersen
Ind: Tendulkar
NZ: Bond
SL: Sangakkara
WI: Chanderpaul
Pakistan: Yousuf
SA: Kallis

As for the Aussies picking Murali, not really sure why you'd want him to miss the Test series :p.

Langeveldt

Soutie
South Africa

Australia - Ponting
Bangladesh - Ashraful
England - Pietersen
India - Dravid
New Zealand - McCullum
Pakistan - Asif
Sri Lanka - Murali
West Indies - Chanderpaul

KiWiNiNjA