• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ITT - We talk about the umpires we have met and their personalities

bond21

Banned
So I was at the Gabba, near the player walkway to the ground, and after the day's play me and my mate managed to get Rudi Koertzen to come over and talk to us exclusively!! I am not kidding, me and my mate were talking to Rudi about the weather etc.(not the weather but you get the idea)

So my mate asks him "Hows Warnie bowling?" And Rudi starts going on about how amazing it is to stand 2 feet away from him when hes bowling.

He then signed my mate's mini cricket bat, and started heading for the walkway to the dressing rooms when 2 drunken yobbos start calling his name, he basically looked at them and kept walking.

Post your stories.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
He then signed my mate's mini cricket bat, and started heading for the walkway to the dressing rooms when 2 drunken yobbos start calling his name, he basically looked at them and kept walking.
Ahh, so he only talks to littles kiddies.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Because he is the most likely International umpire I am ever going to meet is Subhash Modi.
Anybody ruthlless enough to give his own kid out LBW twice ought to be a decent umpire.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Met Billy Bowden while doing a story on an arthritis appeal - nice enough bloke, but it was hard to shut him up. Made me appreciate more about his issues - at age 20, he could barely get out of bed because of his rheumatoid arthritis.

I know another first-class umpire in NZ reasonably well but I don't see a need to name him.

Glad to say neither I or my young relatives know Steve Randall... :ph34r:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had Darryl Harper as an umpire many times. Couldn't get an LBW off him no matter how loud I shouted. Was always so clipped about it too; none of this waiting until I was done appealing, if I even so much as thought of appealing, I'd get a quick "Not out" and he'd turn his head. No emotion whatsoever. Well, other than the time I went up for one and he just started laughing for a full 5 seconds before saying "Not even close."

Bastard.

EDIT: Just wanna say that off the field, after I and every other bowler had calmed down and resisted to urge to choke him, he was a great bloke.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Met Venkat.. Very easy guy to talk to although he was in a bit of a hurry when I did meet him (was at a temple)..

Also managed a small chat with Darryl Harper during one of those rain affected games in Chennai in 2005. Seemed a pretty friendly sort of bloke.