• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Business of IPL

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting.

Must be scary and exciting being an investor in cricket right now. The landscape is changing virtually day by day.

I think the first season if IPL can be called a reasonable success (though I didnt watch any of it). The sophomore season will be interesting. Will the initial sucess be built on or will interest and excitement wane as it beomes more familiar?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
According to projections by equity research firm Alchemy, however, SET is projected to incur a loss of about Rs 15 crore in the first year, after factoring in promotion expenses of Rs 43.2 crore. However, the same report forecasts a profit of Rs 934 crore over the 10-year contract period.
Yea. 934 crore is approximately $230 million USD (about 4 crores to $1 million for rough calculations), so it'd be an excellent investment if those projections are true. But as you say, one season has shown that it can work, not necessarily that it will.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Interesting read!!! Obviously Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad (the highest priced franchises) are the worst hit... I am sure Ambani and Mallya can withstand the losses but not sure if Deccan Chronicle can take such hits every year. Will be interesting to see how the events unfold in the upcoming seasons.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Interesting read!!! Obviously Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad (the highest priced franchises) are the worst hit... I am sure Ambani and Mallya can withstand the losses but not sure if Deccan Chronicle can take such hits every year. Will be interesting to see how the events unfold in the upcoming seasons.
Actually, those hits aren't bad considering its first year. If they were going to be profitable from year one at these prices, they would have went for a lot more.

Hell, the BCCI would have kept all the franchises themselves...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Actually, those hits aren't bad considering its first year. If they were going to be profitable from year one at these prices, they would have went for a lot more.

Hell, the BCCI would have kept all the franchises themselves...
But if the BCCI did that, it would just become another ICL. :ph34r:

biased indian

International Coach
mallya is the worst hit sure..but one thing every one is forgetting is the advert on the team where by in house branding and they don't tell how much they would have got if gone for other brands....so actully wht is shown as his loss also include the maout he had got if he had gone for other brands..so he is also not doing that worse actually..