• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stanford millions

pasag

RTDAS
:blink:

Its about keeping players within the traditional international framework and rewarding them for playing for their nations, not running off to play for a rag tag bunch in nasty clothing.
And don't forget the black bats...:p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh this is far more important. This is national teams (or ar least England are). This maybe T20 but has history and depth. Its not a new and manufactured premise. This means something. Not much, but even in T20 when its an International it carries weight.
I think this would have been much better had it been a full scale tournament. As it is, its a one off match, which I don't like. You can get into a tournament and it means something. But obviously the more money poured into cricket, the better it is for me. So I'm perfectly fine with it. I do hope that eventually this turns into a full tournament, which means it could rival the IPL. I'd be very happy if that happened.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think this would have been much better had it been a full scale tournament. As it is, its a one off match, which I don't like. You can get into a tournament and it means something. But obviously the more money poured into cricket, the better it is for me. So I'm perfectly fine with it. I do hope that eventually this turns into a full tournament, which means it could rival the IPL. I'd be very happy if that happened.
I dont see it as a rival to IPL. I see it as a way for players to stay within the traditional framework and for boards to keep strong. The IPL is fine and does its own thing as club cricket.

To me they are different beasts and shouldnt be direct comp.

5 annual winner take all games is kinda gimmicky but it makes each one a real event.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I dont see it as a rival to IPL. I see it as a way for players to stay within the traditional framework and for boards to keep strong. The IPL is fine and does its own thing as club cricket.

To me they are different beasts and shouldnt be direct comp.

5 annual winner take all games is kinda gimmicky but it makes each one a real event.
That's the thing though, it's too gimmicky at this point. If they make it into a tournament with international teams (like the quadrangular tournament they are proposing), the players and teams will be much superior and you'd actually care (it'd be like the World Cup).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
That's the thing though, it's too gimmicky at this point. If they make it into a tournament with international teams (like the quadrangular tournament they are proposing), the players and teams will be much superior and you'd actually care (it'd be like the World Cup).
I think it works and can be an annual event. Its also a different concept. Better IMO than the creativity starved 'mini-World Cups' which in reality are just another comp similar to hundreds of others that have been played and mean nothing at all.

As an American you should love the idea of a 'one-and-done', 'winner takes all' game. :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think it works and can be an annual event. Its also a different concept. Better IMO than the creativity starved 'mini-World Cups' which in reality are just another comp similar to hundreds of others that have been played and mean nothing at all.

As an American you should love the idea of a 'one-and-done', 'winner takes all' game. :)
I do - as long as its preceded by the playoffs :). If it was just a random game, its exhibition. Nothing at stake and nothing to play for. Except obviously the money for the players. If you have a tournament, you (as a fan) have a stake in something. As it is, this is no different than the hundreds of random ODIs that are played between World Cups. Does anyone really care or remember?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I do - as long as its preceded by the playoffs :). If it was just a random game, its exhibition. Nothing at stake and nothing to play for. Except obviously the money for the players. If you have a tournament, you (as a fan) have a stake in something. As it is, this is no different than the hundreds of random ODIs that are played between World Cups. Does anyone really care or remember?
I see it as something (without the history or prestige) similar to the concept of the Calcutta Cup. No need for play offs for that.

Almost like a bragging rights game or the rivalry game between 2 high-schools.

An annual event between 2 teams has a fine pedigree in sports and isnt unusual and nor does it need a playoff to validate it.

EDIT- Anyway we will agree to differ. I think its could be a fine tradition to add to the calender and it boosts revenue without demanding much time. Helps national boards and gives an event. I have reservations over the division of the revenue, but anything that increases money for players AND keeps international cricket as the priority cannot be a bad thing

Last edited:

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I am excited where cicket is going.Anything to make cricketers make more money is good.When the players are more powerful then they can actually organize and stop the boards from Arm-twisting them.Look at the NFLPA(NFL players asscociation).They are so strong that they actually get 60% of the revenue generated by the richest sport in the world

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder if this is another incentive that will encourage more higher quality young players to come over here and qualify as English... South Africans for example?

Edit: Or Aussies perhaps? Phil Jaques would be a quality opening option in the shorter form of the game for us... if he'd decided to be English he might have made a packet ;)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So...these games are against a "West Indian All-Star XI"" - does this mean they won't be recognised internationals?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Does it matter if they are or not? It's 20-over one-evening stuff.

If it was one-day or five-day cricket, that'd be a different matter.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So...these games are against a "West Indian All-Star XI"" - does this mean they won't be recognised internationals?
One would hope so. Its a big difference between an exhibition and an international. In terms of public interest and importance. However they could maybe get away with it being a celebration.

Maybe its upto WICB or maybe Stanford is trying to do things his way.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Does it matter if they are or not? It's 20-over one-evening stuff.

If it was one-day or five-day cricket, that'd be a different matter.
Maybe not to you Rich, but I'm sure to the players it makes a difference :)

Thought the cash would soften the blow of your five-wicket haul not assisting your stats

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
cricinfo said:
A deal will mean that if England win, each of the XI will receive US$1 million, the rest of the squad share US$1 million...
See, that's dangerous, for mine. If this becomes common-place, we'll see more and more players trying to develop into the next Luke Wright rather than the next Andrew Strauss or Michael Vaughan.

As I've said before, the effect of the IPL, tournaments like it and matches like this on Test cricket won't be seen for a generation yet. Whilst I don't think we'll see Twenty20 cricket swallow Tests whole, I do think we'll see the development of Test match skills fall away as players attempt to develop their Twenty20 skills - they'll be what earns the cash. It didn't matter as much with the IPL as only the top players from each country were getting contracts anyway, but with entire national Twenty20 elevens getting massive payments, this problem could really hit us in 15 years or so. Why be Andrew Strauss when you can be Loots Bosman and earn five times more money?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
One would hope so. Its a big difference between an exhibition and an international. In terms of public interest and importance. However they could maybe get away with it being a celebration.

Maybe its upto WICB or maybe Stanford is trying to do things his way.
Well the WICB are in on the deal, apparently, so I'm assuming it'll be a full Twenty20 International.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The ECB upped the Test sides win bonuses the other day; they will have to do a lot more than that if EWS's gloomy forecast is not to come true.

In their hearts any budding cricketer would rather be Michael Vaughan than Luke Wright, but in life you have to be pragmatic. Cricket is a short career and players will soon alter their dreams if their is money to be made. If I had been blessed with amazing football talent, I'd like to think I'd have made a career out of playing for my boyhood team, Tranmere Rovers, yet could I realistically have turned down Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United, if they came calling? See also Wayne Rooney, lifelong Evertonian, jumping at pound signs as soon as he was a hosuehold name. This is what potentially could happen; I don't think any budding cricketer would, all things considered, rather be Luke Wright than Michael Vaughan, but would choose to take that route as it is in their better interests.

As an aside, I am a fan of Twenty20, as I am of all cricket, but it sickened me the amount of people texting Sky Sports News this afternoon saying that Tests were boring an Twenty20 was the future. The presenters didn't look too pleased either tbh.