Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do England have a good enough team to win the Ashes next year ?

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Do England have a good enough team to win the Ashes next year ?

Thoughts ?

I'd say the key for England is to have 2 out of the three of (Flintoff, Jones and Pietersen) to have excellent series if they wanna have any chance of winning.

AUstralia simply have better players at their disposal than England......England's only chance is for their stand out players (the 3 guys aforementioned) to have a blinder of a series.

ENgland can do it though - Australia's batting will be a little vulnerable in the swinging conditions over there and the bowling is not what it once was. However I still believe that England need inspiration from one of tehir key guns because they are largely a team of reasonable to decent cricketers whereas Australia still have a strong backbone of world class performers.
    Last edited by Salamuddin; 10-06-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    No.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No.
    Agreed.

You're going to get slaughtered .
    ★★★★★

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Nah, not a chance

lol @ england getting within coee of australia [/bond21 mode]

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    99% sure we won't.

No, however if all their stars align including some players getting back from injury and back to former heights plus if Anderson starts continuously bowling like the way he did in the final Test against NZ plus their batting lineup rediscover their teeth and/or if Australia suffer a few injuries, well, you never know...
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Don't really understand the pessimism, to be honest.The Aussie bowling stocks are comparable to England's right now and the batting is reasonable too. The Aussies will need their experienced players to have decent series'. The way Sidebottom is bowling right now, I fully expect him to at least trouble Haydos and absolutely wreck Jaques. Without strong starts, the Aussie batting line-up might struggle. It really depends on how England's batsmen stand up. If they bat first and stack up decent totals, it'll be tough for the Aussie line-up.

Think the series will be pretty close. Possibly a drawn series. Considering recent form and change in attitude, I'd back Symonds to be the Aussie's key player with Ponting to lead both sides' batting averages. Good batting will win the series, I reckon.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 10-06-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Jaques has a pretty handy record in England doesn't he? Should be right at home there, Hussey also and Hodge as well if he plays.

No. Espeically if Warne plays.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Jaques has a pretty handy record in England doesn't he? Should be right at home there, Hussey also and Hodge as well if he plays.
    Handy doesn't really describe it; more like brilliant. But then, hasn't he mostly played in 2nd Div for Yorks? Even then, I just have images of him being a real nicker to 2nd slip against Sidebottom's hooping out-swingers.

Either way, I still reckon whoever bats best will win. The Aussies with the edge here.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Handy doesn't really describe it; more like brilliant. But then, hasn't he mostly played in 2nd Div for Yorks? Even then, I just have images of him being a real nicker to 2nd slip against Sidebottom's hooping out-swingers.

Either way, I still reckon whoever bats best will win. The Aussies with the edge here.
    Which is why I think Kevin Pietersen could be crucial. He is the only one in that England batting line up who I think can dominate the Aussie attack.

This could be a defining moment in KP's career - if he's going to be the all time great that many think he will, he needs to perform at the big moments and next year's Ashes will be one of them.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    The improved Lee will need to be bowling well next year.

He seems to be swinging the ball more now, and with Cooley assisting in English conditions hopefully he'll bowl well. Be nice if the 3rd seamer (be it Johnson or whoeever) can also make the ball deviate.
    No doubt in 05 Australia struggled v the swinging ball, but our bowlers hardly swung it anywhere near as much. If we swing it around as much as England do, I don't see why their batsmen are frankly any better qualified to cope with things than our blokes.

Also, XXX mints have now been banned, which means England won't get any reverse swing (which they haven't got since 05 anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by Venter View Post
    Which is why I think Kevin Pietersen could be crucial. He is the only one in that England batting line up who I think can dominate the Aussie attack.

This could be a defining moment in KP's career - if he's going to be the all time great that many think he will, he needs to perform at the big moments and next year's Ashes will be one of them.
    I strongly suspect KP will have a great series. He seems to be one of those players who psyches himself up for the big ones. As he did last time in Australia. But then, he tailed off after a great start. I reckon he suffers motivation issues a bit when the team isn't doing well and probably isn't as good in a lost cause (as compared to Chanders who has made a habit of doing well in those!).

Tipping Ali Cook for a big one too. As I said last time, if England gets good starts from their openers, Punter's lack of Plan B tends to hurt. Without those great starts, I think the Aussies will dominate.

EDIT: Who Punter gives the new cherry will help too. For goodness sake, can someone get in his ear and tell him to give it to Stuey?!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information