• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do England have a good enough team to win the Ashes next year ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I'd say the key for England is to have 2 out of the three of (Flintoff, Jones and Pietersen) to have excellent series if they wanna have any chance of winning.

AUstralia simply have better players at their disposal than England......England's only chance is for their stand out players (the 3 guys aforementioned) to have a blinder of a series.

ENgland can do it though - Australia's batting will be a little vulnerable in the swinging conditions over there and the bowling is not what it once was. However I still believe that England need inspiration from one of tehir key guns because they are largely a team of reasonable to decent cricketers whereas Australia still have a strong backbone of world class performers.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
No, however if all their stars align including some players getting back from injury and back to former heights plus if Anderson starts continuously bowling like the way he did in the final Test against NZ plus their batting lineup rediscover their teeth and/or if Australia suffer a few injuries, well, you never know...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't really understand the pessimism, to be honest.The Aussie bowling stocks are comparable to England's right now and the batting is reasonable too. The Aussies will need their experienced players to have decent series'. The way Sidebottom is bowling right now, I fully expect him to at least trouble Haydos and absolutely wreck Jaques. Without strong starts, the Aussie batting line-up might struggle. It really depends on how England's batsmen stand up. If they bat first and stack up decent totals, it'll be tough for the Aussie line-up.

Think the series will be pretty close. Possibly a drawn series. Considering recent form and change in attitude, I'd back Symonds to be the Aussie's key player with Ponting to lead both sides' batting averages. Good batting will win the series, I reckon.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Jaques has a pretty handy record in England doesn't he? Should be right at home there, Hussey also and Hodge as well if he plays.

Top_Cat

Jaques has a pretty handy record in England doesn't he? Should be right at home there, Hussey also and Hodge as well if he plays.
Handy doesn't really describe it; more like brilliant. But then, hasn't he mostly played in 2nd Div for Yorks? Even then, I just have images of him being a real nicker to 2nd slip against Sidebottom's hooping out-swingers.

Either way, I still reckon whoever bats best will win. The Aussies with the edge here.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Handy doesn't really describe it; more like brilliant. But then, hasn't he mostly played in 2nd Div for Yorks? Even then, I just have images of him being a real nicker to 2nd slip against Sidebottom's hooping out-swingers.

Either way, I still reckon whoever bats best will win. The Aussies with the edge here.
Which is why I think Kevin Pietersen could be crucial. He is the only one in that England batting line up who I think can dominate the Aussie attack.

This could be a defining moment in KP's career - if he's going to be the all time great that many think he will, he needs to perform at the big moments and next year's Ashes will be one of them.

Burgey

The improved Lee will need to be bowling well next year.

He seems to be swinging the ball more now, and with Cooley assisting in English conditions hopefully he'll bowl well. Be nice if the 3rd seamer (be it Johnson or whoeever) can also make the ball deviate.
No doubt in 05 Australia struggled v the swinging ball, but our bowlers hardly swung it anywhere near as much. If we swing it around as much as England do, I don't see why their batsmen are frankly any better qualified to cope with things than our blokes.

Also, XXX mints have now been banned, which means England won't get any reverse swing (which they haven't got since 05 anyways).

Top_Cat

Which is why I think Kevin Pietersen could be crucial. He is the only one in that England batting line up who I think can dominate the Aussie attack.

This could be a defining moment in KP's career - if he's going to be the all time great that many think he will, he needs to perform at the big moments and next year's Ashes will be one of them.
I strongly suspect KP will have a great series. He seems to be one of those players who psyches himself up for the big ones. As he did last time in Australia. But then, he tailed off after a great start. I reckon he suffers motivation issues a bit when the team isn't doing well and probably isn't as good in a lost cause (as compared to Chanders who has made a habit of doing well in those!).

Tipping Ali Cook for a big one too. As I said last time, if England gets good starts from their openers, Punter's lack of Plan B tends to hurt. Without those great starts, I think the Aussies will dominate.

EDIT: Who Punter gives the new cherry will help too. For goodness sake, can someone get in his ear and tell him to give it to Stuey?!

pasag

RTDAS
Interesting to see if Hilfenhaus manages to regain his form from two seasons ago also. Can imagine him causing his fair share of trouble in England if he did.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Do England have a good enough team to win the Ashes next year ?

The answer is NO, though a more appropriate question would have been, "Is Australia's decline so bad as to lose their grip on the Ashes ?"

sanga1337

U19 Captain
No. Australia are still a good team even if they have declined a bit. Really the only major weakness in the Australian team is a lack of a half decent spinner.

Laurrz

International Debutant
EDIT: Who Punter gives the new cherry will help too. For goodness sake, can someone get in his ear and tell him to give it to Stuey?!
he has said that Clark will bowl with the new ball from now on

and thank god for that

btw on the topic - i think they can.. Sidebottom and Anderson can be a real handful given the conditions..and we aren't known to be good at swing

like pace attack of Lee Clark Midge though... but yes, Midge needs to improve before then.. i think he'll love, as the rest of the quicks.. to bowl in England.. for the last half of a year they've been bowling on absolute rubbish wickets (in tests)